Better Late Than Never

Story Info
Divorced man wonders if he can ever trust, again.
8.3k words
4.41
41.3k
60
46
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Disclaimers: This could be in several different categories, and before I submit it, I will make my decision. There are two parts to my story. Any and all people taking part is sexy stuff are 18, or older. This story is pure fiction. If you think you know someone in this story, get out of my mind. Nobody here is real.

My name is Declan McGrew. I'm a 27 year old IT guy, working for the Pierce County Sheriff's department, in Tacoma, Washington. I've spent the better part of the last two years trying to recover from a nasty, nasty divorce.

I guess this is where I should shed a little light on my story. I was born and raised in Maple Valley, Washington. A growing community about thirty-five miles southeast of Seattle.

When my grandparents emigrated from Ireland, seventy some years ago, all my grandpa knew how to do was work in coal mines. Well, the tiny city just south of Maple Valley was called Black Diamond.

I'll give you three guesses what their main industry used to be. You guessed it. Coal mining. After nearly a hundred years of mining, the coal is now gone.

For the next thirty years Seamus McGrew worked five or sometimes six days every week in the mines. Aside from making him an old man before his time, it convinced him not to allow either of his sons to follow in his footsteps. He also cautioned both his daughters not to marry coal miners, either.

My father, Sean, took his dads advice, and began his working life in the more than abundant forests of Western Washington. Having absolutely no fear, dad was known as a highclimber.

Just as the name suggests, he was the person to go as high up in a tree as possible, and trim the very top off, in areas not large enough to topple the tree in one fell swoop.

Needless to say, this was one of the most dangerous jobs in logging.

He did this job for over thirty years, always telling me I should find a safer, less dangerous way to make a living. He didn't have to tell either of my older sisters the same thing.

In high school, I started moving toward my eventual career, learning all I could about computer programing. I was always fairly good at math, so it was a natural fit.

After graduating Tahoma high school, I looked around to find the best program to achieve my goal. I found it at Pierce College, a two year school in Tacoma, close enough to my house that I could commute.

Let me interject, here, that during my senior year of high school, Linda Burr, who I'd known since the fourth grade, and I started dating.

She and I had always been friends. Easy to talk with. Very easy on the eyes, and just one of my very best friends. Once we started dating, it almost seemed like dating my sister, we'd been friends for so long.

That's until one night, after a school dance, we found ourselves at her house, that just happened to be empty, with her folks out for the evening and her brother away at college.

As we started a very serious make out session, I got real brave and moved my hand under the shirt she was wearing.

I realized that she must have discarded her bra in her bathroom, because my hand felt all breast. Not all that large, but very soft, topped by a rock hard nipple. I became really brave, when I started to unbutton her shirt. Meeting no resistance, I leaned over and gently kissed her nipple.

I thought she was going to break my eardrum, she screamed so loud. Off came her shirt, followed by mine. Standing up, both our pants came off. My briefs and her panties followed, leaving us next to her bed, completely nude.

We climbed back on her bed, with me grabbing a condom from my pants pocket. Kissing all over both thighs, and running my tongue up and down her quivering pussy lips, I moved between her wide open thighs, condom in place, and gently entered her sacred spot.

With just a bit of a whimper, she grabbed both my shoulders, and thrust her hips upward. I just couldn't believe how great this felt. Between all the kisses, and paying attention to both rock hard nipples, we both came with our screaming so loud you'd have thought we were shot.

Rolling away from each other, trying to catch our breath, she just smiled at me and told me, she guessed we were more than just good friends.

By the time Monday morning rolled around, and school was starting, both us must have had these little grins that had our friends asking a million questions. Both of us tried our best to ignore them, and for the most part succeeded.

That is, until after school when several of our best friends caught us behind one of the portables, engaged in a serious lip lock. When we were spotted, and didn't say a word, most of our onlookers knew what caused our serious grins all day.

From that day, until graduation in two weeks, we were nearly inseparable. Yes, we found several times, alone, when we replayed our great fuck session, both in her bedroom, and once in mine.

With me starting college, and Linda getting an office job in Tacoma, we kept up our steady dating. One major change was her getting on a very reliable birth control method, eliminating the need for condoms.

We did start thinking about moving in together, but we both knew we couldn't afford it.

With me nearing my two year degree, I received a job offer from the Sheriff's department in downtown Tacoma. This got us both thinking of getting our own place.

While not being the highest paid analyst in the department, this was by far my largest salary, ever. Between our two paychecks, we found a nice, older apartment in a fairly nice neighborhood.

Just starting my second year on the job, and Linda now over three years at her job, we thought we were doing very well. It was at this time we made the decision to get married. In what I thought should have been the happiest of times, started a true nightmare, for me.

Not right away, but at our sixth or seventh month, I asked about starting a family. Her response shocked me to my core.

"We can't hardly afford to feed ourselves, how can we afford kids, right now?" she yelled.

"Linda, we aren't exactly starving, and we are starting to build up our savings, so we can get a house, some day," I replied.

Right before our one year anniversary, Linda changed jobs, and became a secretary in the largest insurance firm in the entire county. This coincided with a nagging female infection, that concluded with her doctor trying different birth control pills.

This changing of pills necessitated me going back to condoms, not wanting to trust in pulling out in time. Not my favorite method, but she was adamant about not starting a family, just yet.

This continued for a few months, when I started to notice little changes. Working a bit later. Sex becoming more infrequent. Just some little things, that were beginning to add up.

At the six month mark of our condom use, I asked, again, about starting a family, since her infection had long since been cured.

Again, her reply was the same. We just couldn't afford it. Again, it was her reluctance to accept the fact that we were doing better than she portrayed, with us being right at starvation level. This, in fact, wasn't the case.

About two months before our second anniversary, the absolutely worst thing signaled the end of our marriage. Linda had been working later, and later, telling me we needed the extra money. This really caused me a huge problem when I'd check our bank balance, seeing her paycheck amount unchanged.

After the third consecutive payday showing no increase in her pay, I asked, calmly where was all this extra money.

"What are you accusing me of, Declan?"

"You're telling me you're working longer hours for overtime, but there isn't any more money in our account. Are you hiding this extra money?"

"Why don't you just trust me?"

With that, she ran into our bedroom, locking the door. I just resigned myself to the spare room, trying to think if our marriage could be saved.

I was up and off to work before Linda came out of our bedroom. Each time I tried her cell phone, it went straight to voice mail.

I finally called her office and asked if I could talk to my wife. The girl who answered couldn't give me a straight answer, so I asked in a bit of an angry tone, "is Linda McGrew there or not?"

"She's busy, um, I'll tell her you called." Click.

On my lunch break, I drove over to her office, and saw her car in the parking lot. I went into the reception area, where she normally worked, but didn't see her.

Just then, her boss came out of his office, and took me aside and told me to leave.

"Just as soon as you tell me where my wife is, I'll be glad to."

"She and our owner are having a business meeting with a very important client. I'll give her your message when she returns."

I turned around and left, but smelled some sort of a stinky rat.

In the parking lot, I took out my phone, turned on the 'find my phone' app and punched in my wife's number.

It directed me to just outside the parking lot I was standing in, so I ducked down behind my car, and here came a Ferrari GT 308, bright red, and what only could be described as a classic.

It parked right in front, when some well dressed guy jumps out of the drivers seat, and opens up the passenger door, and out climbs my wife, her dress riding up high enough, I could see she wasn't wearing her panties.

I snapped two quick pictures, and another of the driver, plus his license plate.

I was sitting in our living room when she finally came through the door at 7:00 PM.

"Another late afternoon at the office?" I asked.

"Yes, I thought I told you I was working late."

"Did you at least put your panties back on?"

"What are you talking about?"

I took out my phone and showed her my two pictures. plus her boyfriend and his car.

"How long have you and Grant Gaines been fucking?" I asked.

Grant Gaines, being one of the richest under 35 men in Western Washington.

She just stood there, staring at me, not knowing what to do, or what to say.

"Either you gather up some stuff and get the fuck out of here, or I will."

"Tell me, Declan, where am I supposed to go at this hour?"

"How about to Grant's house. Oh, that's right, his wife will probably be there, and may not like your ass being there, too."

I dialed my phone, and when I heard a woman's voice answer the following conversation took place.

Hello.

Is this Laura Gaines, Grant's wife?

Yes, who is this?

My name is Declan McGrew and I'm going to send you some pictures of my wife getting out of Grant's car this afternoon, please pay particular attention to the fact my soon to be ex wife isn't wearing panties!

Send. Send. Send.

"I hope you're happy, asshole, breaking up his marriage!"

"Me? I'm not fucking him in the middle of the afternoon! With that comment, you get out of my apartment, before I throw your cheating ass out the door!" I didn't realize how loud I was screaming, until our neighbors started knocking on our door, asking if everything was all right.

Our neighbors, who we were friendly with, were at our front door, so I opened it, with both of them asking if everything was OK.

"No, it's not. I just sent this piece of cheating shit's lovers wife pictures of her getting out of his car, without her panties. My only question is how long has my soon to be ex been fucking Grant Gaines."

"Calm down, Declan, why you both take a bit of time, and don't do anything in the heat of this moment," Wendy Harrison said.

"Let me ask both of you, did you know she's been cheating on me?"

Ted Harrison looked at me as if this was news to him, but one look at Wendy and I knew she suspected something.

"Jesus Christ, Wendy, how long have you known?"

"Declan, I'm standing right here, just ask me, if you need to know."

"Because I can't believe a word that comes out of your mouth."

"Again, please tell me Wendy, how long have you known?"

"OK, Declan, that's enough. Let's go home, Wendy."

I just stood there, staring at the now closed door and whispered to Linda, how long?

"About six weeks."

"Are you going to leave, or am I?"

Just as she was going to answer, I heard her phone buzzing.

"You should answer that, your fuck buddy might be offering you his bed, tonight."

Linda took the call out of my hearing, and when she came back to face me, she looked as if she had seen a ghost.

"Less than good news, I'm guessing."

"Could you please leave me alone, if just for tonight?"

"If I leave, I'm never coming back!"

Silently, I packed our two large suitcases, along with all my toiletries, and left, without saying another word. I knew if I said anything, it might be something I could never take back. All the time, knowing our marriage was over.

I headed to the building I worked in, knowing there were two or three rooms, large enough to live in for a week, or two, if need be.

Unpacking some of my stuff, I just sat on one of the beds, with my head in my hands, wondering how I could have been so blind.

I was well aware that over these past few months, our arguments all have been about money, or the lack there of, but we were getting on a better footing, or so I thought.

We were starting to get ahead, but with Linda dealing with these wealthy clients, I guess she just couldn't wait.

Since I couldn't sleep, I started doing some research, building my case for divorce, and possibly other actions.

The people I worked with knew something was wrong as soon as they saw how shitty I looked the next morning.

My supervisor called me into her office and let me know that my temporary housing was just that, temporary. After telling her the reason I was there, she looked in her desk and handed me a business card for a divorce lawyer, who was supposed to be one of the best in town.

I made an appointment for the following Monday, and went about doing my job, as well as could be expected.

I didn't hear a word from Linda, and that made my life much easier.

Our meeting the following Monday went well, with me spelling out all I knew of their affair, complete with the pictures I still had on my phone. My lawyer, Mandy Jefferson, told me Linda would be served in a few days.

Wednesday afternoon, she was served, which brought the following text to my phone: Fuck you and the horse you rode in on!

I sent this on to Ms Jefferson.

Ten days later, I get a call from the manager of our apartment, telling me that Linda moved out, since she couldn't pay the rent, and did I want the unit.

I told him I did, but only after making sure she never fucked Gaines in our bed.

Three weeks after our split, I was back in what used to be our place, but now was just my place. At least she had the decency to leave everything not hers in perfect condition. I never asked her where she was living, but the Harrisons told me she had moved back in with her mother.

Another three weeks and our first face to face meeting was scheduled.

When my lawyer and I walked in, there was Linda sitting next to her mother, who I knew was a paralegal. I couldn't believe how haggard she looked. There was something that made me think something else was going on. I just couldn't put my finger on it.

"Let's get started," Ms Jefferson said.

"My daughter just wants to put this all behind her, thats all," my soon to be ex mother-in-law said.

We went over all the state laws and requirements, agreeing to everything. Even split of assets. No alimony. With no children, no child support. Her name was no longer on the lease, so no problem there.

During this entire time neither Linda nor I spoke one word. She just kept looking at her folded hands on the table.

As we were finishing up, my lawyer asked if either of us wanted to add anything. I said I didn't, but Linda just very quietly said, "I'm sorry."

Standing up, I finally saw what was different. There it was. For all to see. Her four month, or so, baby bump.

"Before you say anything, Declan, we both are very aware you're not the father," Fran Burr said in hushed tones.

I just couldn't see saying anything that could be construed as helpful. I just sort of shook my head, in disbelief, and left the room.

As we were walking out, I asked Mandy about the other item I'd been researching all this time.

"You know this is very difficult to prove, but if you insist, I'll go forward."

"Let's file, and just see how it goes."

Three weeks later, Grant Gaines was served in his father's company with my lawsuit for Allienation of affection.

Our process server told us you could have heard a pin drop.

Less than a week later, daddy's legal team was in court, trying to have the suit dismissed. Denied! Score one for the little guy.

We were called to daddy's offices. but Mandy told them it was her office, or nothing. They agreed.

Our first meeting was on a Monday morning and I had no idea of what to expect.

Grant's thousand dollar an hour lawyer started by telling us this was an impossible case to win.

My lawyer told him, if that was the case, he shouldn't have to worry.

"Then, please stop leaking stories to the media about this."

"My lawyer didn't leak that story, I did. I just wanted all the people doing business with the Gaines family what sort of total asshole Grant is." I just couldn't hide my grin.

"Before you guys respond, you should know I work for the county sheriff, and all my information is very well documented."

Wow, did that bring a flurry of whispering.

"What is it, Mr, McGrew, that you want?"

"An admission of guilt. And, oh, yes twenty-five million dollars!"

"You're out of your fucking mind," Grant yelled.

Both lawyers stared right at him, telling him to keep quiet.

His lawyer told us there wouldn't be one nickel coming my way.

"Will Mr. Gaines be supporting his child with Ms Burr?"

"To be decided. But why does that concern Mr. McGrew?"

"It doesn't but his irresponsibility will help us in court."

As we left this most contentious meeting, my lawyer told me to expect a reply within a few weeks.

All during this time, my work kept my mind off these proceedings. My co-workers helped me greatly, but my social life was non existent.

One of the secretaries in our office did talk with me, on several occasions. Carolyn Downs, a slim, dark haired girl, about my age.

One Saturday, I was catching up on my paperwork, when a little girl, maybe three years old peeked into my cubicle and yelled out, "mommy, there's a man in here."

A minute later Carolyn came from the other office, noticed me and took her daughter by her hand and started to leave.

It was obvious she didn't expect anyone to be there, as her thin tee shirt showed she was not wearing a bra. Her smallish boobs, which did sag a bit, with her nipples on the small side, were quickly covered by one arm.

"Sorry, Declan, I didn't know anyone was here. I see you've met Carrie."

"No problem, I needed a reason to stop working, and your little one is a perfect reason."

Over the months since my divorce and lawsuit, Carolyn and I had several discussions, not related to work, but never included the fact she had a daughter.

The fact that my grandfather would roll over in his grave, knowing I was friendly with an English girl, and her telling me the same thing about my Irish heritage.

Never once during this time did I have anything more than just friendship on my mind. Also, during this time, I resisted the efforts of my next door neighbors to fix me up with single women, they knew. I just wasn't interested.

I did have to admit, after seeing Carolyn and her daughter, I did start thinking of what ifs. I knew I was more than a bit rusty when it came to dating. Even our conversations at work took a while for me to get into.

During the entire period of this ordeal, Carolyn was my sounding board. She was my friend, who never judged me and never had a harsh word to say about my situation.