A Town Without Honor Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I stepped back outside and closed the door. I didn't take pictures. I didn't care to. I didn't go in and beat anyone up. She was obviously doing what she wanted, not coerced or forced.

In a daze, I walked slowly back to my car. I debated going back in and confronting them. I wondered how long it had been going on, how they'd kept it a secret, in a town our size.

Mostly I wondered how they could betray me like that. My wife. My best friend. The mother of my children. My right hand man in business. Forget Dale. He was an asshole, and single. Fred was married with three kids.

They had destroyed my life.

Doubt gnawed at my gut. There were no secrets in Bedenton. I picked up my phone and made a call. "Mom?"

"Hey Honor, how's business in the big city."

"Great. I'm already on my way back. I couldn't get hold of Beth. You wouldn't know where she is, would you?"

She didn't even hesitate. "I'm pretty sure she's with Peggy, getting a makeover. She left the kids with me. When are you going to get back? I'll let her know when she calls for the kids."

Alarms were going off in my head. "Never mind. I'll surprise her. I got some big news today."

Mom responded pretty quickly. "That's great! Can you at least give me a ballpark estimate? Have you left the city yet?"

My heart was racing. As I said, there are no secrets in a town the size of Bedenton. Call me paranoid, but I was convinced Mom was a part of the cover-up. My own mother. "Yeah, but I have a couple of things to do before I see her next. I imagine it will be a while."

Mom sighed in relief. The bitch. "You just be careful, I hate you driving into the city. I'll kiss the kids for you."

I hung up and made a decision. A hasty one, I'll admit. I opened the side door to the garage, and lifted the garage door by hand, so the opener wouldn't alert anyone, although I doubt they would have heard it.

It took me less than five minutes to poke holes in all three gas tanks. It was as easy as putting a handful of concrete nails on my three-ton floor jack, and jacking it up under the tank. I took a can of gas and dumped it between the three cars, the two in the driveway, and Beth's in the garage. I grabbed the spare can of propane for the barbecue, and opened the valve, between Fred and Dale's cars. Then I turned my vehicle around, leaving it running, took a flare from the emergency roadside kit, lit it and tossed it into the leaking gas. I hopped in the truck and drove away.

I wasn't fifty yards away when the series of explosions started. I was confident the cheaters wouldn't be injured, the garage was detached. If I was lucky, the fire would spread to the house, but even if it did, Fred should have plenty of time to pull his traitorous dick out of my cheating wife, and get everyone out of the building.

While driving to work, I called Gil on my phone. I regretfully told him the company was probably going to shut down, and he shouldn't accept the job as VP. He had lots of questions, but when I explained I'd no longer be part of Honor Energy, he understood. I told him I'd send him a check for the time he'd worked with me in China, and for his trouble, and assured him that in my next venture, if there were to be one, he'd be one of the first guys I'd bring in.

I passed my sister's car turning up my street, as I left. Any doubts I might have had about my mother's and sister's involvement dissipated. I saw the volunteer fire truck fly past, as I continued toward work, the damn truck that Honor Energy had donated to the town. Entering the warehouse, I ignored all the greetings, and headed for my office. My second cousin Jill, our admin, asked if everything was okay.

"No interruptions. Not for anyone. Nobody. Not for the friggin' president. Understood?"

She nodded fearfully, and closed the door.

It took me about an hour to transfer what I wanted. I had offshore accounts that handled most of our international business. It was partially a tax haven for the business, keeping international money out of the country. I drained them into another Cayman's account for Honor BB-LLC. I called our two biggest customers and apologized for the fact that we wouldn't be able to complete their projects, and that I was stepping down for personal reasons. I got transferred to the CEO's of both, and talked my way past the anger and disappointment, assuring them I'd return all their money.

Roger Hammond, of Hammonds Luxury homes, didn't go down easily. He was one of my first customers, and I considered him a friend. After a long discussion, I agreed to supply him with the materials he could only get from us, including a 10% overage in case of any issues, and I would personally ensure the transfer of the designs and necessary knowledge to complete the project to the company of his choice.

"Honor, it's me you're talking to," he said slowly. "What the fuck is going on? This isn't you. You'd never dream of defaulting on a job."

"I won't be working here," I confessed. "I can't. Personal issues."

"Personal issues be damned!" he snapped. "You're the best at what you do. You can't let some petty shit kill your business."

I laughed "Petty shit? My right hand man is banging my wife."

"Impossible. Beth? No way. That woman worships the quicksand you walk on. Somebody's lying to you. You need to get to the heart of it."

"Maybe you're right. Why should I believe my own damn lying eyes? Hell, I only walked in on her riding him like a cowgirl in my living room, while his brother was waiting his turn. Shit, it's not as if my mother and sister were covering for her, watching the kids, and making excuses for where she was. What could I possibly be thinking? You're right, Roger, I'd better go look again."

He was quiet. "I'm sorry, Honor. I am. I wouldn't believe it possible in a hundred years. Anything I can do, anything you need, you call me. This ain't some polite gesture neither. I'm dead serious. Call me. Matter of fact, call me no matter what. You need someone to talk to outside of that incestuous little town of yours."

"I appreciate it, Roger. I do. You're a great customer and a better friend. Sorry to unload on you."

"Fuck that. Fuck the business. You do what you have to and I'll do anything I can to help. Promise me you'll call. Soon. Visit if you can."

I was choking up. This man was there for me, though he hardly knew me, while my mother, sister, wife and best friend were fucking me over. "I'll do that. I've got to go. Lots to do before the Sheriff gets here." I was already wondering why I hadn't heard from Uncle Luke, Dad's brother.

He was quiet again. "Understood. Good luck, and I'm so sorry you're going through this. Call when you can."

I phoned the company attorney and it took some work, but I got the big man on the line. I explained what I needed, and turned away all questions. He was reluctant at first, but finally agreed. I put a rush on it, telling him I needed everything by the end of business the following day, and there would be an extra $10K if it was done in time. He assured me they'd figure out a way, what I was asking was pretty straightforward.

I had completed the essentials, and surprisingly nobody had called my cell. I walked out of my office, and Jill hung up her phone guiltily.

"No calls for me?" I asked.

She shook her head. "No sir."

"Fine. Tomorrow at 11:00 AM, I want a company-wide meeting in the warehouse. Everyone will be there, I don't care what shift they work or what they're doing. Anyone not in attendance will be summarily fired. Set it up."

She was white as a ghost, and nodded.

I got in my car, turned off my cell phone, and headed out of town. I bought some new clothes and toiletries, checked into a nice hotel room, ordered room service, and contemplated what I was going to do with the rest of my life.

* * *

I woke early, from a restless night of seeing my wife cheating on me with everyone I knew. My mother and sister were waiting their turn behind her. They were in the manufacturing shop, and sweet Beth was part of the assembly line, where the men came by and took their turns filling her. When she took her break, Mom stepped up and took her place.

I was nauseous, and couldn't eat, but I did manage to get a few more things done. I felt a little better for that.

I drove up to the office at 11:05, riding my new Harley Road Glide Ultra. Mid-life crisis coming early, I guess. I felt the 24 grand was money well spent. I could afford it. I never bought anything for myself, and it was about fucking time I did.

Fred was waiting at the entrance, as was my mother. I parked the motorcycle on the sidewalk, and took off my helmet. I could see the surprise in both their eyes. Mom took a step toward me, and I held up my hand. "Not now. I'll talk to you later." She stopped, her mouth agape.

Fred turned to fall in step beside me.

"Not a fucking word, Fred."

"Don't do anything rash, Honor," he started.

I turned and punched him in the face as hard as I could, stunning him and making him stagger backward. "I told you. Not a single fucking word, asshole."

I walked to the warehouse, ignoring everyone who greeted me, and stepped up to the platform. The room quieted.

There was a microphone setup, but I didn't need it. There were only about 50 people present. I looked over the crowd. I knew everyone who worked for me. Had interviewed and hired each one personally. It took a minute then I turned to Jill. "Aaron and Misty. They're fired. Two weeks severance, plus one week per year."

Jill paled, then nodded slowly.

"Is there anyone present who doesn't have an idea of why I'm here, after the events of last night?" I asked loudly.

There was some mumbling and talking, and about 10 people raised their hands.

I pointed to the side. "If you people would step over there, I'll make sure you're filled in when this is over." I nodded to my admin to take care of it.

It took a minute or two for the separation.

"Excellent. I have a simple question for all of you. I expect complete and total honesty. I believe I deserve no less. I'd like to think I've treated you all with respect, and for the most part as friends."

There was some murmuring and nodding.

"Who here suspected or knew what was going on with my wife?"

My Uncle Jack stepped forward. He was one of my first hires, and ran the floor. "Are you going to fire them?"

I shook my head. "Nobody else is being fired. Not even the assholes. I just want some fucking honesty for once. Isn't there any fucking honor among the sorry lot of you?"

Uncle Jack stepped closer. "I'd say almost everyone had some idea. Nothing solid. Nobody wanted to hurt you. We owe you too much. We figured she'd get it out of her system, and straighten up. No one wanted to bust up your marriage. Why don't you and I talk about this privately?"

I turned away from him. "I'll ask one more time. Who here suspected or knew what was going on?"

All but a handful of people eventually raised their hands. It started with just a few, including Uncle Jack. Before long, a few more people joined in, until 90% had their hands raised. Jill's hand was among them. So was Annie Marshall's, now Annie Lane. Few of them could look me in the eye.

"Thank you for your honesty. I wish things were otherwise. Maybe someone could have stopped it. Somebody could have told me in private and perhaps things could have been worked out differently. As you can imagine, I can't work with people I consider disloyal, disrespectful, and untrustworthy."

Uncle Jack had taken on the role of leadership I guess. My mother's brother had always been good to me. His betrayal hurt as bad as anyone's. "You promised nobody would be fired," he stated flatly.

"I did. As most of you know by now, or at least I hope you do, I'm a man of my word. I'm stepping down. My wife is now the owner of the business. You have enough funds and business to maintain operations for at least four months. Closer to six months, if you don't screw it up. Fred is now in charge. I wish you all success."

There was a lot of talking, and it was getting loud. I'd made my point.

That was supposed to be it. Walk away taking the high ground. I couldn't do it. "Strike that last statement. I've never lied to you, and I'm not about to start now. I detest you. All of you. If one person, just one had done the right thing, and stood by me, sided with honor instead of infidelity, things would be different. You dug your own graves. I hope the business goes down in flames, and you all lose everything that matters to you, just as I have today. May you traitorous, honorless, amoral cretins burn for this."

Total silence ensued. I looked down at my uncle. "Jack. My office." I turned to Jill. "Find Fred and send him to my office as well. If he's not there in ten minutes, Bill will be President. Send him."

Uncle Jack followed me to my office, and started speaking. I interrupted. "This is not a discussion, Uncle Jack. I always liked you and respected you. That's no longer the case. You betrayed me just like everyone else. This is business, and we won't talk about anything else. Understood?"

"After?" he asked.

"Perhaps. I have other things I need to do. Don't ask."

He nodded solemnly.

We only had to wait a couple of minutes before Fred made his appearance. He had a swollen lip, and some tissue paper stuck in one nostril. I almost smiled.

"Sit," I told him.

"Honor, it didn't mean anything," he began. "You have to-"

"Shut up and sit! Don't make me come across this desk, asshole."

He sat.

"Today is my last day here. Fred, the company is yours to run in my absence, unless Beth decides otherwise. I'm turning over ownership to her."

His stunned look was priceless.

"I'm turning all the financials over to Beth. She knows the business; she'll control the accounts. The day-to-day business, sales, marketing, whatever, is under your control Fred. Jack, you're still in charge of the floor. You're here because there are some important changes you need to be aware of."

He nodded.

"Honor Energy can no longer use the conversion controller assembly as of six weeks from yesterday morning. We no longer own the patent, or the rights to the firmware. You'll need to find some other solution."

Uncle Jack gasped in surprise. "What other solution? That's the heart of our business."

"Not my problem. I no longer work here. Understand, you can no longer manufacture them, as of six weeks from yesterday. If I were in your shoes, I'd build all I can in that time, at the expense of everything else. Work three shifts, do what you need to get materials, pay triple if you have to. Then, figure out a way to replace it. I'll let you work it out."

Uncle Jack nodded slowly, already thinking.

"Carlyle is no longer a customer. Stop any production for them. Hammonds isn't a customer either, but we're going to supply them with the materials I promised." I took a printout from my desk, and gave it to Uncle Jack. "Pull from inventory. Deliver to Roger Hammonds, in person, within three business days."

"I'll do it myself," Uncle Jack said.

"Good." I turned to Fred. "Passwords, accounts, keys are all here." I passed him a sealed envelope. "I'll work with Beth to complete the business transfer, but she's already on most accounts. All I need to do is remove my name, and give her limited power-of-attorney. You have plenty of funds to keep the business going. There are some challenges ahead of you, but perhaps you can overcome them. Perhaps not. It's your problem now."

I got up and left the office, ignoring Uncle Jack's extended hand, or Fred's questions.

I got back on my motorcycle, and rode to see what remained of the home I'd built for the love of my life.

* * *

There was only twisted metal and blackened ground where Fred's and Dale's cars had been in the driveway. The garage was almost non-existent, collapsed on Beth's Volvo. The fire had done serious damage to the side of the house next to the garage, but surprisingly, it had been contained.

There was a work crew onsite, trying to patch up the charred entry and laundry room, boarding up broken windows. I walked in the house, surprised that there was no police tape, or anything similar. Nobody was home, and I walked around thinking about what I wanted to take. Sadly, I could come up with nothing except for pictures of my kids. I grabbed a photo of each, and one picture of me holding both of them, from a photo album. I left everything else. I was starting over, and with enough money, it was surprising how little you needed.

I regretted throwing my phone away in a pique of anger, and stopped by Martinson's where I purchased a throwaway. I called my mother.

"Honor, where are you? We have to talk," she answered breathlessly.

"I'll be over at your house at seven. Make sure Beth is there."

"Thank God! You'll talk, right? This isn't some game or revenge, is it?"

"No. We can talk. Make sure her kids are there as well."

"They're here now. You can stop and see them if you want. They miss you terribly. They don't understand why they can't go home, and why you're not here."

"I'll see them at seven." I hung up.

I returned to the Harley dealership. They had finished installing the new tie-downs on my truck, and showed me how to use the motorcycle ramp. I drove the bike onto the truck, loaded the ramp back on, and headed to the store for a few things, ignoring the whispers that followed me.

I returned to the office, where my papers were waiting for me, delivered at 4:12 pm, earlier than I had anticipated.

Jill had them in her hand, and gave them to me. "Is there anything else I can do for you, Mr. Nolan?"

I shook my head, looking at her coldly. "No. I think you've done enough, Jill. I expected better from you. I thought you'd be loyal to me if nobody else was."

She had tears in her eyes. "I really thought I was doing what's right. Nobody wanted to see you and Beth breaking up. We tried to talk to her. I swear."

"I don't doubt that. Still, you should have talked to me, taken my side in this. You betrayed me like everyone else. I really don't give a fuck about most of them, but from you it hurts. I don't know why I expected loyalty. I won't make that mistake again."

She sat down and cried, while I turned away, papers in hand. I stopped at the diner and ate. I wasn't planning on eating at Mom's house. I was going there for business. I knew I'd have to sit through some bullshit excuses and apologies, but that was all. I'd let them say their piece. Then I'd finish up what I had to do.

My cousin Emma served me the open-faced roast beef and fries. Then she sat down opposite me. "Take her back, forgive her, Honor. It doesn't have to be the end of the world. She screwed up big time, but everyone knows how much you love each other."

"I'm eating, Emma. I don't want to talk about it."

"C'mon, Honor, we're family. We love you both; you have to work this out."

I put my utensils down. "No Emma. I don't have to. I have a failed marriage, with a woman who I'll never know if she really loved me, and two children I'm no longer certain are even mine, a mother and sister who betrayed me, supposed friends and family who took her side, abandoning me. I have no family. Not anymore. If you won't leave me alone, I'll leave."

She got up angrily. "You are family. It's not something you get to decide about. We care for you."

I didn't bother to reply. The fries were pretty good.

I was a little pissed off when another so-called family member sat opposite me.

"Honor," he said by way of greeting.

"Uncle Jimmy." I had another fry.

He looked anxious. "I don't want to interfere. I only wanted to let you know I'm sorry. Sorry that I didn't tell you what I knew, little as it was."

I lifted an eyebrow. "What did you know?"