Let Go

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Curious, Bev had him escorted to her office. He was a large man with a friendly face, dressed impeccably in a nice suit and tie. He thanked her for her time, and got down to business.

"Ms. Beverly Patterson? Or should I address you as Mrs. David Waxman?"

"I go by my maiden name here, for professional reasons. What can I do for you today?"

He really looked apologetic when he handed her the papers. "I'm sorry ma'am, but you've been served. Good Day, I'll find my own way out."

Beverly looked at the large envelope, and fainted.

She came to her senses on her sofa, Jen and X had placed her there, and Jen was wiping her face with a cold cloth. "What happened?"

"You fainted."

"I fainted? Why would I faint?"

Jen held the envelope and it all flooded back. Bev started crying uncontrollably. It took her twenty minutes to cry it out. In a trembling voice, she asked Jen to open it and tell her how bad it was.

Jen opened it up and nearly fainted herself. She read through them with intense concentration before placing them gently on the table in front of the couch.

"The good news, Beverly, is that he's not filing for divorce."

Bev started smiling again, but Jen held up her hand. "He's doing something a lot worse. He's suing the company, you, Bob Adler, and the Chairman of the Board for wrongful termination and mental cruelty. You need to get hold of him fast, Beverly, and talk him into withdrawing all this, or your career here is over. It doesn't matter whether he wins or loses; the bad publicity will be enormous. IF you get to keep your job, you'll never rise any higher."

Beverly nearly fainted again, before pulling herself together and driving straight home, trying her best to set a land speed record for a luxury SUV. All she found was a note on the dining room table.

"I'm sorry, Ms. Patterson, but you crossed the line. My lawyer assures me it's pretty much a slam dunk, and your Board will do just about anything to keep it quiet. She was pretty ticked when I told her I would accept no deals, that I intended to make this as public as possible. Don't bother looking for me, on her advice I've moved out, at least temporarily. I still love you, though I don't understand why. When this is over I'm willing to go into counseling if you are. Maybe we can find our way back to each other. Maybe not, but I want to at least try. Oh, and if it makes any difference, I got a job, something new for me, and I look forward to it. We'll talk soon."

Beverly leaned back in the kitchen chair, watching her life and career go up in flames.

Just when she thought her life couldn't get any worse, it did. Two weeks had gone by, and the hearing was in four days. The Board had sent an independent HR expert and a lawyer in, and it didn't look good. The discussions they'd had with the employees did not paint her as the best of bosses.

She was sitting in her chair, staring into space instead of working, when Bob Adler burst into the room. She had always liked Bob, had actively recruited him and he'd done a really good job up until then. He'd flirted hard after she had fired Dave, and Beverly had leaned on him to help with the pain. She was lonely and depressed, and when he offered to take her to dinner to forget her problems for a while she accepted. The would up drinking way too much wine and when he kissed her it felt so good she didn't stop him. Then reason kicked in and she pushed him away. He apologized and Beverly stopped any nonprofessional contact, even though he plead with her to give it a chance.

"Goddamnit, Bev, you need to do something about this! Solomon Enterprises just called, and have decided not to sign the contract. There goes eighteen percent of our business! All they said was they'd found a cheaper, more reliable source who's quality matched or exceeded ours. They told me they would be glad to let us bid next year, but it had better be something spectacular if this new supplier worked out. If that's not enough, Apex and Stuart industries have both been hinting they may go to someone else. That's another eight per cent."

That was absolutely the last thing Beverly wanted to hear. If they lost a quarter of their business, especially while they were tied up in the wrongful termination case, she was toast, as well as Adler and maybe a few others. She needed to move on this quickly. She sent Bob out, especially when he started pestering her for another date, saying it would be okay now that she was separated. Bev wasn't sure she had a marriage left, but a sure fire way to finish it would be go out with Bob, and Dave finding out about it. She reached for the phone.

"Hello, Mr. Soloman. Thank you for taking my call."

"You're welcome, Beverly, and how many times have I asked you to call me Sal? I'd like to think after all this time we were friends."

"We are, Sal. Tell Susan hello for me, and I hear your daughter just got her MBA from Wharton. Is she going to be the future of Soloman Enterprises?"

He laughed. "I hope so; the girl is already smarter than I ever was. I'm giving her three years, then Susan and I intend to sail away into the sunset."

"That sounds lovely. Sal. I'm guessing you know why I'm calling?"

"Yes. I'm sorry Beverly, the new supplier is cheaper, faster, and exceeds our quality standards. The difference is significant enough that I can't walk away from it."

"Have you signed the contracts yet?"

"Not yet, but we're scheduled to finish up the paperwork in two weeks."

"Good. Please, Sal, give me a chance to see if I can match or better their deal. One meeting, that's all I ask."

He sighed. "All right, for old time's sake, I'll give you one shot. Set it up and I'll be there."

Beverly was sure she could win the business back when when talked to Sal, so she stopped worrying about that and focused on the upcoming hearing.

...

Dave was at loose ends, and about to go out of his mind. It looked as if he had any hope of finding anything in his line of work, he was going to have to expand the search area, and that meant moving. He was at the gym, straining his guts out, wondering if he had a marriage left, at all. Yes, he had coasted the last year, but Beverly never once allowed him to tell her his line of thought. She didn't know he had deliberately let orders dwindle, or that his core base of customers were fine with it.

It was blind chance that after he left the gym he ran into Sal Soloman and his wife, Susan. Sal had been one of Dave's first customers, in fact, they went back eight years. After they got past the customer/salesman relationship, Dave was treated like family. He once told Susan she was the smart aunt he'd wished he had when I was growing up. That statement cemented their relationship, and Dave have even introduced her to others as his favorite aunt. Susan would giggle and coo, and Sal would grin at her antics.

"Sal, Susan! What a surprise! It's so good to see you, are you in town on business?"

"All pleasure, I'm happy to say. We just got out of the theatre. I've always wanted to see The Odd Couple, and this is supposed to be the best touring version of the revival around. When we found out they would be here but miss us, we just had to come."

Sal just smiled, he once told Dave that his real job was to make his wife happy, and his business was just a means to that end. He never forgot a birthday or anniversary, and most of his employees benefitted from it, because he instituted a policy of giving his employees a half-day off on your wedding anniversary, and the whole day off afterwards, to recover, as he put it. He also paid them for the time off.

Turnover in his office and factories were the lowest in the state; someone had to pass or move away before there was an opening. Every woman got roses and chocolates on her birthday, and every man got something in line with his hobbies, be it a box of golf balls, a new fishing reel, or fine cigars. Executives came to his business to observe his operation, and while many changed nothing, a few copied him.

They insisted that Dave join them, and for ninety minutes he forgot my problems and admired what a true relationship was. Eventually, though, they brought up Dave's situation. Susan was baffled, and Sal was a little ticked. "You were one of her best. I really don't understand it. Did she not understand your reasoning?"

"She never gave me a chance to explain, Sal, just called me into her office and fired me in the most public way possible. It's poisoned the well, locally. It looks like I'll be moving soon."

Susan spoke up. "Does Beverly know you're considering this? Is she willing to go with you?"

"No, she doesn't know yet, and she would never leave her lover, Susan. Before you ask, I have to believe she's never cheated on me, at least physically. No, her lover is her job, and like a skilled seducer, it's offered her things I could never compete with."

Sal was quiet for a minute, then grinned. "Since you're at loose ends, my boy, pop by and see me in the next couple of days. I may be able to help you out."

With nothing else better to do, Dave was in his office three days later. They talked general business for a few minutes, when Sal asked what on the surface was an innocent question.

"Ever hear of the RGP Group?"

Dave had, indeed. A new company out of South Korea, they were trying to break into the U.S. market. He had met the youngest son of the owner in an airport while we both waited on a delayed flight. They found out what each other did, and he happily showed Dave some of his products on his laptop. Dave looked them over and realized they would be in direct competition with his company. Luckily for the business, they were concentrating on the West Coast, far from his area of operation.

He was a likable guy, though. His father had sent him to the U.S. to knock on doors. Unused to American ways, he had an entourage with him, but most were just as clueless as he was. Since they ended up in the same towns a lot, Dave kind of took him under his wing. Dave lost contact with him when they sent him to the Midwest, basing him in Chicago. Dave breathed a little sigh of relief, his products were high quality, and their prices were almost thirty per cent less than the company Beverly and Dave represented.

Dave knew that Sal hadn't asked the question casually, and grinned. "Yeah, I know of them. I'm even kind of friends with the youngest son of the owner, but I haven't talked to him in over a year."

Sal looked a little embarrassed. "They're expanding into our area. I talked to a few people who've used their product, and all seem to be satisfied. I haven't responded to them, mostly because of you. Your stuff is higher, but you always kept your word, always delivered on time, always followed up if we had a problem.

"We, Stuart, and a few others took your advice when you demonstrated the latest version, and we've been retooling for the better part of the year, using up old inventory. I don't know about the others, but I have about a month's supply before I'll be completely changed over. We find ourselves in a unique position; RGP's version fits even better into our plans than your old company's version does. The main reason I wanted you to come by was to ask your advice and offer you a job. Instead of selling, why don't you try buying? My purchasing manager is retiring, and we still haven't found anyone we feel will fit. With your experience in sales, vendors would have a hard time trying to take advantage. After all, you know all the tricks, right? Besides, most either know you or know your reputation, so it'll cut down on a lot of haggling. What were you making before you got fired, and I don't mean now, I mean your best year?"

Stunned, Dave told him. "Not a problem there. In fact, I can probably go five or ten grand better, and work in performance and savings bonuses. Why don't you give it a try? Even if it doesn't work or you decide it's not for you, it'll look good on your resume when they see you've done some work on both sides of the business."

In the end, Dave decided to give it a try. It beat moving out of state, and he was a little excited about it, the first time since he got fired he was excited about anything. He went home to his apartment, actually happy to be there. His former house was really her house, an edifice to her success. She'd often remind him in small ways that if their salaries had been equal, they could never have afforded it. Dave thought a little about the upcoming hearing, and sighed. He wondered how much of what he was doing was seeking justice and how much was revenge. Probably half and half.

He knew if he won, Beverly's career was over. Even if she got to keep her job, it was as far as she would ever go in the company. If he lost, it would still take years to recover from the damage. Would he be happy if he was vindicated? Probably. Would he be happy about hurting her career? In honesty, he thought, he would, just a bit. Not because of who they were, but because she needed an object lesson in how to treat people, and remind her the world didn't revolve around her.

Thinking back to when they first got together, he remembered a fresh-faced young woman who had set goals, her determination as strong as her abilities. He remembered when she got her first promotion. He'd taken her out to dinner to celebrate, at a place they normally couldn't afford. When she objected, Dave showed her his very first bonus check, telling her she wasn't the only one in the company who was rewarded for hard work. As fresh as it was yesterday, he remembered the lovemaking, the celebration of two young people desperately in love and on top of the world. He also remembered afterwards, as they lay exhausted, her head on his chest, her hand rubbing across his stomach as he toyed with her hair, thinking things were just going to get better.

To make a long story short, they didn't. Get better, that is. Dave watched as each promotion sent her a little farther away from him. Her clothes got more expensive, her makeup and hair done by top of the line professionals, and how angry she got if he even tried to kiss her before they out to one function or another, always with her as the center of attention. He remembered standing around, mostly ignored, feeling useless. Finally he stopped going except on really important events. Bev was pissed at first, saying it sent the wrong message, before spinning it to look like it was her idea. He nearly tore her head off when it got back to him she told people he didn't go because he was embarrassed that he couldn't keep up with the conversations. He made it a point to go to every function for a while, seeking someone important to her, clients especially, and having long in-depth conversations about things she never had a clue he even remotely knew. It got to the point she asked him to tone it down, so the focus could be on her.

*****

Well, today was the day, Beverly thought as she walked towards the conference room at the local State Employment Office. Her career would either be over or not, depending on the outcome of the negotiations.

She hadn't seen her husband in almost three weeks, and was surprised at his appearance. He'd lost most of the spare tire, let his hair grow out a little and was sporting a closely trimmed beard. It made him look distinguished and young at the same time, if that was possible. There was what could only be described as a blonde bombshell sitting beside him, but Bev knew looks could be deceiving. This was Amanda Austin, one of the most experienced and feared labor lawyers in the state. She was there more as an observer, gathering more data for the lawsuit she knew was coming.

Beverly had the best counterpart my company had to offer with her. He'd spent a little time coaching her on how to answer the inevitable questions, how to project confusion on how this had happened when all she was doing was what was best for the company. She asked him how he thought they would do.

"This case is a train wreck waiting to happen. There's no paper trail, no write-ups, no warnings, no explanation of the consequences if he didn't improve. His last review was very complimentary. By company policy, you should have had his manager handle the termination, with someone from HR as a witness. He was entitled to an appeal, to the next person up the food chain, in this case you. Since you fired him and never gave him his chance to take it to a higher authority, you once again breached company policy. You know, I read your file before I came down, and you got really good reviews; the home office and the Board talked about you in the highest terms, yet here you are, making a mistake someone fresh out of college would avoid. I'll do my best, but if he wants to make it ugly, we can't stop him. Have you talked to him at all lately? Does he have any idea the negative impact this could have on your future?"

Beverly had to admit she hadn't at the time, which made his frown deeper, and he probably knew almost exactly what would happen to me if it got bad.

Everyone sat down, and the arbitrator started the meeting. She had a video camera set up, to record everything. She started off by introducing herself as an arbitrator from the State Employment Commission, and explained that while they may reach some kind of agreement, it wasn't binding until everything was written down and notarized. She also explained that if an agreement couldn't be reached, or if either party disagreed with her decision, they were free to take it to the capitol. or if that failed, court, in the form of lawsuits.

First she thanked the HR representative for sending her a copy of company termination policy beforehand, so she could familiarize herself with our procedures.

Before she let anyone else speak, she asked a few questions. "Mr. Waxman, Ms. Patterson, I understand you are man and wife. True?" Beverly said yes as positively as she could, and Dave just nodded. "Tell me, Ms. Patterson, if you will, how has this impacted your marriage? Do you consider what your husband is doing reasonable? I'd like to clear this up before it gets to the civil stage."

Dave didn't speak up, so Beverly went first. "We are most definitely married, and will remain so. Yes, it has absolutely impacted our marriage. He's moved out, hasn't talked to me since he did, and now we're here. I must have told him a hundred times what I did was just business, and it shouldn't impact our private lives. I really don't understand why he's doing this."

The arbitrator thought the woman delusional; how could it not impact their marriage? She had told him he had no value to the company, terminated him after nine years, sent him home and couldn't understand why he was angry? She turned to the husband. "Mr. Waxman, care to comment?"

"Ma'am, on the advice of my lawyer, I am not here to discuss my domestic situation. This meeting is solely to determine if my wrongful termination complaint has merit."

"Fair enough. Ms. Patterson; please tell me exactly what occurred the day you terminated Mr. Waxman, and state your reasons for letting him go."

Bev explained how his supervisor, Bob Adler, had come to her to discuss the terrible sales record of Mr. Waxman, going back almost a year. She stated she had no idea his numbers had gotten so bad, and that after discussing it in depth with his manager they agreed he should be let go. She also said it was the hardest business decision she had ever made, but she had to put the interests of the company first.

The arbitrator asked for documentation, and frowned when none could be produced. "Tell me Ms. Patterson, if this employee had a very good record for eight years, and then his sales plummeted, would you not have been curious, and try to determine why? If he had been a good employee for so long, surely he deserved a chance to turn his sales around, a probationary period, explained in detail, in writing, what failure to produce would result in, and monthly monitoring to ensure he was going in the right direction? The reason I ask is that very scenario is described in the company manual your HR department sent me for employees with at least five years of tenure."

123456...9