All Comments on 'Goin' Back Home Again'

by Rehnquist

Sort by:
  • 387 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Loved it! Keep stories like these coming!

Very good story. Well written; kept my attention the entire story. Didn't get the urge to skim read either. And I liked the storyline as well. No problems with how it ended either. Very balanced I thought. Good job! Keep writing!

Harryin VAHarryin VAabout 14 years ago
see ya folks I am Outa of here

It is unfortunate that the author for some reason or another decided to single me out even though in 1ts original story I showered him with quite a bit of praise. I communicated with this author privately and he replied back. The author admitted surprise that I did like his 1st story to which I tried explaining him that many don't get me or never really has paid attention to my reasoning or criteria in how I decide if I like or do not like a particular story.

In this case the author's comments directed specifically at me before the story even begins... it has been clear that he has not either believed what I told him or thinks for some reason I am lying.

Over the past few weeks have been some very good stories written which I have actually praise quite a bit but unfortunately this author appears to follow the same line of thinking about my feedback and reviews.

I realize that some do not like the way I post or how I post and there seems to be this stereotype to my reaction to stories... the fact of the matter is I am NOT a "throw the bitch out" OR "reconciliation or at all costs" kind of guy. I do believe in holding authors responsible for the characters which apparently seems to bother a lot of folks. Why I am not exactly sure.....

I am honest and detailed and try to put in a good faith effort into a feedback review since the author took a long time to write the story. Again for some reason this seems to bothers author ... and especially this one. Funny I always thought it was the anonymous bullshit which seemed to bother many authors. Yet here I am being singled out.

This STORY will be my last review I will make on this website for any story for any author ever again.

ya try and be nice and reasonable to some people .... Instead this is what happens.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Excellent Job

This is not the first time this particular story line has been used, but for me personally, this was the best use of it. It was well written and to the point. The wrap up was ok, but everything prior was a first rate effort.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightabout 14 years ago
Ladies and Gentlemen, Harry has left the building!

I enjoyed this romance. It was well written and very entertaining, and a tad bit overdone, but this guy can write. A note to Harry. Many of us writers have been severly insulted, and called far worse than the reference made to you at the start of the story. We are wimps and misogynists. Angie has been called some terrible things, yet she carries on. It seems that not only writers need a thick skin here. It will not be easy to quit Literotica cold turkey! This shit is addictive, and it beats the hell out of knitting.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
WOW

Just when you think the day is crap this pops up. Now I'm running way behind but with a smile instead of a frown. Thanks for a great read and some escape which is why I come to lit. And a happy ending is just what I needed. Thank you for sharing your talent.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Great!

I love the story. not the usual LW story , more like NaN story. but who cares. i even like the "ghost" characters.

anyway, the only problem i have are the record numbers sold. artists these days are considered very successful if their albums becomes platinum. i think the last artist to sell 10M+(considered diamond) is Shania Twain.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Enjoyed reading this

I almost decided to bypass this story; but I'm very glad I didn't. All the characters were believable; and I loved the 'ghost' twist to this aka voice of reason and humor.

Thanks for the great story; can't wait to read more

skipperrskipperrabout 14 years ago
Awesome!

Like most guys, I came to this sight because of the sex stories. But, I stay because of stories like this. I couldn't stop reading this morning until I was on the verge of being late for an appointment and could hardly wait to return and finish up the last bit. The writing, story telling, description of characters, and everything were outstanding. I will definitely be looking for more of this author's work.

poorrichardpoorrichardabout 14 years ago
great story!

loved the story. couldn't stop reading it once I started.

fregenfregenabout 14 years ago
Very Well Done

I liked it a lot. Good plot line, well written, too bad about the lack of sex but I suppose you can't have everything. Walter was a nice touch. And I loved the bit about telling him where the manuscript was. A very nice story. Thanks for the happy ending.<P>

I know Harry has been a burr under the saddle for a lot of authors, and while not always agreeing with analysis, I believe his criticisms are founded in fact and sincere. I personally will miss his reviews.<P>

Thanks for sharing.

oddonexoddonexabout 14 years ago
ALMOST DID NOT READ IT

If you had not put it in Loving Wives, I probably would not have read it. I would have missed reading a GEM. I have gotten tired of getting juice all over me from the sex in other stories. (Even though at times it is good) Keep up the good work.

bobby9909bobby9909about 14 years ago
AWESOME!

Thank you so very much for contributing this excellent piece of work. I enjoyed every word of it and can appreciate the effort that went into creating it. Stories like this is what keeps me coming back to Literotica.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Truly Outstanding Story

This is a great story, very well written and nice arc to the story. Rehnquist you belong with the best writers on the site. Please keep contributing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
I'm not reading 8 pages.

1 star out of 5 for lack of conciseness.

victoriangentvictoriangentabout 14 years ago
Good read

Mr Rehnquist, I enjoyed your story very much. I think you are a fine author and I have read almost everything you have written and looking forward to other submissions.

As far as Harryin VA. Take your sactimonious ass on down the road. You are in a class right along with Sam. Matter of fact if you gave a story a bad review, it only made me want to read it for sure. As probably most people, I found you to be an egotistical ass in your "self appointed" guru of reviewer roll.

woodmanonewoodmanoneabout 14 years ago
Thank you

for providing us with a very good read. I have some of your other works as well. You write a complete story with good character development and plot line which make your work a joy to read.

In contrast to some of the comments I think more graphic sex scenes would have cheapened the story. I feel that people can only do so many things to or for each other sexually and after you've read about it once or twice, it's a waste of time and effort to continue reading the same thing over and over.

This work was entertaining the way it was written and I look forward to your next posting. One final thought:

C'mon Harry, you can dish it out but you can't take it? I would be sorry to see you leave because you do bring up interest points sometimes and very well expressed too. So such it up and continue doing what you do.

Thanks Rehnquist for your hard work and dedications.

john1946john1946about 14 years ago
Fun

What a fun story. The hint of sex was perfect....but it was the storyline that was catchy. Sometimes the tabloid lifestyle is a bit much and it is a nice change to "go home."

lancewmlancewmabout 14 years ago
Wonderful story

Your writing style is so smoooooth. I love it.

lancewmlancewmabout 14 years ago
Hey, Harry

I thought what Rehnquist wrote about you at the beginning of the story was really a complement to your well known presence as a commentor on this site. I don't always like the way you sometimes bash an author's story, but often your comments are good critical statements and many of us appreciate reading them. You dish it out really well and I always thought you took our sometimes negative responses to your story analysis really well also.

vietvetvietvetabout 14 years ago
Great read

Enjoyed the story very much. Keep writing.

PhilipinNorcalPhilipinNorcalabout 14 years ago
To Harry

Rehnquist:

Indulge me, please. Feedback on your story will follow soon.

Harry:

Don't go! There was a time 3 or 4 years ago I would have gladly bid you fond ado. But not now. Your responses to stories then as now possessed intelligence and insight, but not as now, you then many times cloaked them with personal and unwarranted attacks. You have always been one to not pull your punches, and whether or not someone agreed with your opinions, one always knew where you stood. Sometimes your punches were spot on, but there were those times when you hit well below the belt. And that is about which many took issue with you.

I took a voluntary leave of absence from Literotica because the quality of submissions had waned greatly and because many of those commenters whose remarks I truly enjoyed reading had, for one reason or another, either simply left or just quit posting comments. Much of what was left to read, be it story or comment, I felt wasn't worth my time or effort.

What I've read from you, since I have begun to occasionally return, is a more expressed respect and appreciation for the writers' efforts and an honest attempt by you to critique the stories and not the writers. I've always respected and appreciated the cores of your reviews. I just didn't care for nor appreciated some of the trappings that accompanied them. I don't see as much of that seasoning your remarks now.

Harry, your reaction to any given story is more anticipated than that of anyone else's here. I usually first peruse the feedback on a story in weighing whether or not to read it. One consideration for me is if you have commented on that particular story and, if so, what your take was. I know I'm not alone on this. One person with whom I corresponded briefly a few years ago, was motivated to submit a couple stories just to read your reaction to them. He was incredibly disappointed when neither story elicited a response from you. I actually believe that there are many writers who consider their stories to have "arrived" if you felt moved enough to post a comment. Just as I am sure there are some who feel equally allayed to not see any posts from you. Your opinion is that important. Harry, I'm not trying to turn your head. You and I have sparred in the past over differing opinions, and, if you decide to stay, I'm sure we will again in the future. I'm simply telling you that, regardless of agreement or disagreement, your opinion is important to many stopping by here.

You have now, and always will, your detractors, some of whom are as closed-minded regarding you as they claim you to be in regarding their stories and comments. From past posts by you, some of the criticism is warranted. But not all of it. A great many of your remarks have possessed much merit, and I've not only enjoyed reading them, but, from having read them, have found myself considering perspectives and factors I had not before contemplated.

As Harddaysknight correctly stated, prolonged exposure here via stories and/or comments, usually requires one to thicken one's skin. I sincerely encourage you to stay. If you do leave, this site will be the poorer for it.

Best regards,

Philip

kelly_kellykelly_kellyabout 14 years ago
Very good story!!

I liked this story, and in this case — the bigger the better. One of the best I've read in this category.

A note to Harryin VA — Come on! Be a sport, and let me tell you not everyone goes so much deep into a story like you do.

zed0zed0about 14 years ago
You Promised a Happy Ending!!!

And boy did you deliver one: BIG time!!! This was a romantic mini book (okay, okay, novella) and a great read that caused me to stay up way too late. Damned impressive writing, with a compelling story line. You have grasped that the telling of the story is the most important part of the story, and when combined with palatable content even the most mundane story plot lines can achieve excellence. Now I feel that I gotta go to the archives and read more of your work. Woodman is wrong, he's a great writer, but Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! I keep badgering him to add sex to his writing, but for some reason feels he is above that. Why is it he can describe violence in great detail, but not sex? But he does prove my point, that for all of his protagonists macho posturing and ass kicking, and even the occasional borderline wimpyness, his stories are always a great read, despite their lack of sex. More sex is always good, especially on a web site called literotica. I would also like to add that HDK is right! (And is also a great story teller, despite his high percentage of wimp stories).

romaq7705romaq7705about 14 years ago
very good!

new and refreshing take on a cheating wife story. well done justice rehnquist!

mike2710mike2710about 14 years ago
Thanks

A very good story. Thanks for the entertainment. Mike from Texas

bigguy323bigguy323about 14 years ago
Amazingly Good!! Extended and edited it could be published on a pay site.

Seriously. You could actually make money from this. One thing to think about: The MUSIC business is blood thirsty and much, much more challenging than you indicate.

Read Al Steiner's Intemperance series for some insight. (On SOL)

Harryin VAHarryin VAabout 14 years ago
Did this story suck or what?

no not really.

I did not realize that earlier I forgot to actually provide a story review of this fabulous story. When I first read his first serious story -- A CASE OF SELF DEFENSE ... I was particularly impressed with the dialogue which in my opinion has always been a problem with SERIOUS -- non wanking --LW stories. Recently one of my favorite authors had recently passed away Robert B. Parker the author of the great Spenser and Jesse Stone series. What struck me about this author's ability to write dialogue is that he reminds me very much of the Robert Parker kind of dialogue.

I went out of my way to state as much with that story.... you need if you don't believe me go back and read my review of it.

I see the same sort of exquisite use of dialogue in this story as well. I have read THIS story now twice and I gotta tell ya... I cannot find a single flaw in this story. What makes this author so special is his ability to say so much in the dialogue but not too much ... yet keep the reader enthralled and at the same time allow for really good character development. That is just really hard to do.

How can you NOT love the use of Walter the sort of father image/ ghost ?

The reunion between Nick and Teddy was very well done... very believeable and also masculine.

The barbecue cookout ended the conversation between Nick Ted and Ethan. The dialogue between a bunch of guys who are shooting the shit and also talking seriously... is perfectly done.

I was also particularly intrigued by the Ted character who at first just appears to be the happy go lucky guy who knew enough to stay out of Hollywood while Nick did not. But as the story develops it appears that Ted also kind of regrets some of his decision... and now does want at least a LITLE bit of fame and rick and roll glory.

Personally IF I was Nick I am not sure I would be happy with Ethan's knowing what Tara was doing for several weeks and NOT telling me. Nick and ted had not talked in years so Ted's reasoning is legit. So while it is true that Ethan was the one who eventually set the ball in motion so Nick would finally wake up and see Tara for the bitch/ whore she is... it took way too long.

But that's just my personal view which does not in any way detract from the story. In fact it's this sort of plot development which actually makes the story better.

When the GREAT writer author Joesphus passed away it was a big loss since he was a spectacular near perfect writer and a great storyteller.

That loss has now been compensated with the arrival of Rehnquist... who is truly a skilled writer and even more impressive... a Skilled storyteller.

Bravo....

muirmadramuirmadraabout 14 years ago
Well Done...

A good story with strong characters. Enjoyed the read. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Excellent

You know!! Just because this is an "adult" site, that doesn't mean that every story has to have sex in it or actually needs sex. It does need good characters and yes adult acting characters.

You have provided a very entertaining story and one I throughly enjoyed. From my perspective, it doesn't get any better than that. I hope you continue to submit stories here.

GenghisKhanGenghisKhanabout 14 years ago
funny

one guys gave the story --- an 8 page story --- a 1 star out of 5 because he said he refused to read an 8 page story! <p>

Most author like the opposite: they like some idiot like that giving them a 5 star rating, even if they write a 1 page gibberish about some one dimensional white woman swallowing 5 gallons of bodily fluids from 30 black men, each with a 27 inch dich. <p>

Serious readers who put in quality time to read long stories and make long, careful, and yes critical remarks are singled out as boring, not knowing fiction from reality or other such gibberish nonsense. all they and their adoring fans want are 1-2 line praises on what wonderful writers they are and what fantastic stories they write, when they are nothing more than cheap masturbatory snippets of irrational attempts at story telling... <p>

How would, could, an author improve when all he or she sees are 1-2 short lines saying things like, "Man, that's awesome!" "You are the best!" I mean, don't these people EVER read outside of Literatorica, too? Don't they read fine books, even erotic ones like LOLITA, MADAME BOVARY, THE LOVER, etc? Those are the "awesome" fiction writing on erotica... <p>

And, yes, this venue is different, shorter, for less serious writers... but yes, there are actually one or two really good ones here, too,,, once in a while but 99.5 of the daily postings here, in any and all subjects, are just to pass the time because the stock markets are not going well or something! <p>

Any author who writes and posts in Literotica who wants nothing but praises, who think they are good writers if they only see praises, and who would delete critical feedback should go have their head examined! <p>

Very few readers here in Literotica have contributed as much to fictional criticism, in mostly constructive manner, as HarryVA. Risq comes close, but HarryVA is the most faithful, the most interestiing, whether you like what he's saying or not. Half of the time I don't agree with him; but I know a good critic when I saw one. Unfortunately HarryVA won't be contributing anymore to Literotica criticism... so mostly you'd have glowing 1-2 line praises and authors who delete any feedback critical of their work, which, for the most part, are total nonsense, neither good nor erotic... <p>

++++++++++++++++++ <p>

And I like this story. The only criticism I have is the wife Tara's part. You either give her more time or just leave her out of the whole story, other than telling us a bit of her deeds, which merely served as the backdrop for the hero's wandering back to his roots, where he, against all expetations, found enduring happiness, a kind of happiness that fame and fortune in big Hollywood never gave him. <p>

Why give her a few silly lines like that, towards the end (and on the phone) when her character, which was never developed, could be totally ignored? On the other hand, if you're going to allow her to show, allow her to more fully explain herself; make her a more complete humans, with faults but also with redeeming qualities beyond the cliche rivers of tears there..... and the story was decently long enough for that, too. It's not like it's a 2-page masturbation story... this was a rather lengthy story by Lit standards... so more character development for Tara could have been had... <p>

Bob Dylan, by the way, is not a genius in my world; he is a bore with a boring voice and boring lyrics, too. But that's me, and you are not me, so you don't have to agree with my assessment of that boring man. There are many musicians out there, known and unknown, with better lyrics, better guitar prowess, better voices, and better attitude!

PhilipinNorcalPhilipinNorcalabout 14 years ago
I don't know where to start

Rehnquist:

I sit at my keyboard wondering what to write. Where do I start? This story is as polished and professional as any I've read. I believe at one point in your story I stopped reading and began watching it. It came that alive for me. It felt as if I were reading a story in 3-D. Your characters were all too real; your dialogue could not have been any more spot on; the invention of the ghost, Walter, was genius. It was an absolute privilege and pleasure to read this piece. Many, many thanks for your effort.

And to that anonymous fellow who indicated in earlier comments that this story was simply too long for him to read, "Sport, you have no idea about what you've missed. If I were you, I'd do something about that short attention span.

My best, Philip

juanwildonejuanwildoneabout 14 years ago
and a high FIVE at that

Crackin' good tale Chief. Pert-near perfect from start to finish. If I chose to entertain any quibbles it would be Lit's inability to having multiple categories. While a Loving Wife was the catalyst here, this was a Romance story through and through. Anyway, I can't say enough good things so I'll just say one - WELL DONE.

ps: While I too share Harry's sense of loss regarding Josephus, I do hope that Harry decides to hang around and continue his critiques. True, informed criticism is accomplished only by someone who respects and loves the written word.

ryu77ryu77about 14 years ago
For a while...

.....I forgot I was reading an erotic story on a webpage and thought I was reading an interesting novel.

Well played, sir, well played.

SW_MO_HermitSW_MO_Hermitabout 14 years ago
Good Story

I liked your story very much. Your writing well above par and I could feel some of the pain. That said, I felt it was a little long winded for what we got. You presented Tara as a Selfish Bitch and him as an Ostrich (You know, head in the sand). I can live with that because a lot of time the cheater keeps his or her cheating hidden for a long time. I just feel you spent a lot too much time with "lead in" explanations and not quite enough time with the romance and marriage to Aimee. All in all though, good work.

sexmatesexmateabout 14 years ago
Holy Shit! That was the best story I have ever read here.

That was some read. I was fully vested and interested. This story could have been 200 pages I doubt I would have gotten any sleep tonight if that was the case. I was fully immersed in this story as if I was standing inside the words. I seen everything in my mind in living color just as if I was looking out the window watching the morning come alive.

Oh my god the dialogue was out of this world! The character development was to die for. Tara's being the only exception. I wanted to know more about her. As far as Ethan knowing all along and not telling Nick about Tara that was just plain wrong. Tara is just a Hollywood Slut and doesn't deserve Nick in any lifetime.

And my critique of the story? It was all good! What can I say that hasn't been said? I give you a standing ovation!

Thanks for story I escaped into and sorry it ended. I hope you give us another.

As far as Harryin VA? Please don't go! I loved your critiques! Some of the authors didn't like them, but hey you always have some points. It could only make them better.

Till I read you again! Thanks for writing!

SeanshowSeanshowabout 14 years ago
Awesome

Loved it - Great work!

Sean

simple49simple49about 14 years ago
Wow!

You deserve all the acolades and then some! Can you hear the cheering! Great story! Thank you for your efforts:)

FujericaFujericaabout 14 years ago

Hi Rehnquist (and everyone?)!

Before I comment on the story specifics, let me just say that I rarely, if ever, read stories in the LW category. I am SO glad that I took a chance on this one. I found it well written, without obvious editorial errors, and long enough to actually tell a story from beginning to end. I found no problems with voice, and it was a well put together package. My suggestions are therefore merely aesthetic:

1. I'd like to know more about LeadFoot earlier in the story. It was a little confusing for me to try and figure out who exactly Nick was in relation to the band, and exactly why he was the "point man." You explained it well enough throughout the story, but I would have appreciated knowing a bit more about their situation in the beginning, to understand why there was such panic.

2. I also would have enjoyed reading more about Nick's mother and Bob, and their take on the marriage, the band, etc. Does Nick's mother know about Walter's (continued, ghostly) presence? It might be interesting to explore.

3. The last point I'm not entirely clear on is... did Walter-the-ghost continue to have a place in Nick's life after he and Aimee had their own little Walter? You may have said that already and I just overlooked it.

I honestly think this story would work just as well in the "Romance" category - even though it is about infidelity, it could easily be written to focus less on Tara and more on Aimee (it kind of does already!) It seems a lot less about Infideslity than about Nick's own personal journey, eith the infidelity just being the trigger.

This is an all around good story, and I really enjoyed reading it. Good job!

Thanks for posting it!

JustForPostingJustForPostingabout 14 years ago
Exceptionally well written snoozer

I loved the writing. I admit I am a grammar Nazi, and unashamedly so; this story allowed we to drift along, unimpeded by writing errors, right up to the part where I fell asleep.

Could this have PLEASE been edited down into an actual story?

It was wonderfully evocative and boring as shit.

I made my mind to hate it, though, when you singled out HarryInVA. That was beyond the pale, unneeded and a little childish. Harry is a gadfly, to be sure; he's skewered some of my efforts, under a different name than I use here, and yet his comments are almost always instructive. I did NOT say constructive, but then neither would I say the same of the equally forthright Simon Cowell.

Rehnquist, you have written a well-told piece of sleep dust, and insulted one of the few honest reviewers on this site.

Love the writing; hate the pettiness.

You should have done far better.

GenghisKhanGenghisKhanabout 14 years ago
Yes, the Ghost Part

was well done. I actually had to go back an re-read that section again, to make sure if it was a "real ghost" or it was just his imagination... and it worked as a device because it worked on me (as it did on the character), since I can't tell if the character was just imagining, due to drugs, or he was really seeing it.... <p>

and that's good story-telling, since 99.98 percent of LV in Literatorica authors would never take the time to develop imaginative devices like that to help propel their stories and characters, making them more 3-d, since all they care most about is the dick and the vagina and especially if the dick is really big, black, and could stay hard for the bitch for hours on end, making her having to call her fiance or husband a few times on the phone, to say her car's got some problem but should be fixed soon and then she'd be home.... <p>

with the more creative writers, you see DEVICES like that being thrown in quietly as extra's, and yet by the end, such imaginative devices help shape both the characters and the over-all story.

DanielQSteele1DanielQSteele1about 14 years ago
Harry, Don't Go and Rehnquist - this was one hell of a story

I've read a couple of your stories and I know you're a good writer, but this was a great story. As virtually everybody has mentioned, this was smoothly written. I read a suspense novel one time by Alister MacClain (I think I got the spelling right) and the story was so damned smooth it practically read itself to me. This is like that. It just flowed. The characters, with the exception of Tara, were real and this was the best use of a literal ghost I've ever seen on this site, or just about anywhere else. Like others, I couldn't stop reading the thing until I finished it. I am jealous as hell of one thing, and that's the authenticity with which you write about the music business. There are some fields and situations I've got real life knowledge of and you can usually tell when a writer knows what he's talking about. It may be my ignorance showing, but you do seem steeped in the music biz. Unfortunately, even if I wanted to, I could never carry off the pose of knowing anything about it.

As to the other major thread of response to "Going Home", I'm another one who would hate to see HarryVA actually walk away. I think I wrote previously that one of the things I love about this site is the reader response and feedback. There have been a lot of times i've disagreed with Harry's comments, but that's what makes life interesting. And I know that while I thought he was wrong, his response to one of my stories came completely out of left field and made me look at the story in a completely new way. When you're the writer, and a reader makes you rethink what you've done, that's having a major impact. As somebody else wrote, as a writer it's nice to get comments like 'great" or "loved it," but in depth and reasoned surgical commentary is bracing and something I actually look forward to.

Oh, almost forgot. The only real criticism I have of the story has also been brought outl Like a lot of Loving Wives stories told by husbands or boyfriends, the real characters are the men. The cheating wives are often ciphers or caricatures or cardboard cutouts. They're either bitches or operate from some level of insanity or pure meanness that is present in real life, but there's not as much of it out there as there as you'd think from the stories on this site. I don't mind Tara being a selfish cheating bitch, but even selfish cheating bitches are people. They have reasons for what they do and as I read onetime, everybody is the hero of their own story. THEY don't think they're the bad guys. So I wish we'd have gotten more from Tara's perspective.

But in the context of the whole story, that's a minor quibble. Great story.

SteinermanSteinermanabout 14 years ago
I thought it was Great!

I loved this! You really got into the thoughts and life of Nick. And, no, I didnt find it boring or too long at all. I'm so impressed that I'm going back and reading the other stuff you've submitted.

Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!

Larry

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Mixed reader response - the Rehnquist/HarryVa/HDK's of this site make it a great place to visit. Personally, we look forward to Harry's unique analysis of various stories [authors might not like it but why open for comments if all they are looking for is

Author - good story, not as "wimpy" as some of Britease/MattM or JPB's stuff but the outcome was as good as one could expect from such a fairly tale. Definitely beats the hell out of the garbage that www/Angie and/or bonietaylor spews out. HDK had a good point - it takes a thick skin to post on this site and get/receive the wide variety of comments, so Harry you need to not take this so personal. Debra & Wayne

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Now I've fucking read it all

Begging Harry to stay. He got his little feelings hurt and now everybody is so sorry to see him go. Good riddance. How soon they forget his obnoxious comments and disregard for other readers feelings. Just last week I read these comments. "to the morons", "to answer some of the fucking idiots","it's obvious that these dumb fuck anonymous readers","where this story was heading and how mentally ill and twisted this author actually is". Are these the words of a guy that is trying to be nice and reasonable. Hogwash. Any reader that disagrees with this guy is called an "idiot" or a ''moron", not to mention the nasty comments to good authors who write damn good stories for our entertainment pleasure. It's a shame that so much time has been wasted on this so called literary expert, instead of what this feedback is all about, discussing this authors well written story. Well, I for one won't miss this ill mannered person. Good riddance.

grogers7grogers7about 14 years ago
Excellent Entertainment

Well conceived. Well written romance.

rainbow001rainbow001about 14 years ago
Thank you

One of the best thank you for sharing.

jiminabjiminababout 14 years ago
Harry you were never nice and reasonable.

Your reviews may have been honest and good but you comments about the authors were generally mean and nasty. Too bad but as Hardsdaysnight said in The End ; "Don't let the door hit you on the ass!"

TTFN or maybe longer. Jim

...Sorry author....got carried away with Harry. Loved the story..5 stars. Thank you.

bruce22bruce22about 14 years ago
Enjoyable and interesting tale.

In literature, having the father of the hero appear as a ghost is a fine tradition! As pointed out by the protagonist, the presence of the ghost gave him a chance to have an active dialogue with himself which was very well executed by the author. This author has roots that go very deep.

It has been pointed out that the only defect is that the villainess is poorly developed. There was a certain deception when Nick said that his first question about Why was answered, because the answer did not come from the villainess but was his own insight into her nature. Whatever she thought was never revealed. He could have presented his deduction in reply to some appropiate self-centered claims of justification from Tara.

With respect to Harry, he just found out that to post here has risks. All the authors and commentators risk their self esteem when they post. Many good authors has left us because of brutal Anon comments. Harry makes a big contribution but some days his wounds anyone who stick there head up.

Lately though he has been writing much more calmer, perceptive reviews.

I wish he would imitate HDK attitude as an author and just keep posting independent of what anyone else says.

angiquesophieangiquesophieabout 14 years ago
dearest rehnquist

i just read your latest story and it was great entertainment again, thank you. it is amazing how much you seem to know about the world of

american pop music and how well you work it into your story.

through your style and your dialogues you create very believable

characters, and i'll never forget dead walter.

this being said and leaving all the well-earned bravos aside, i

walk around the marvelous edifice you built and alas... stare at the

numerous prefab parts you used. the cliche of the bad bad babylon

of los angeles versus the sweet picket fenced, totally innocent country folks of small town america.

of course his wife fucks around at every chance she gets,

don't they all do it? of course she wants to screw him over, assisted by

her manager and the bloodthirsty tabloids. tara, the wicked witch

of the west versus sweet dorothy running back to kansas.

aimee is the virgin mary, ron and his wife are the all around great and wise common sense surrogate parents, never forgetting to blame california whenever the poor countryboy errs. teddy and his wife maybe even surpass them in wisdom and level headedness.

another nice thing to know is that every small town in the midwest seems to have enough natural talent to create not just one million-selling band, but two. and yes, everything that ends, ends breathtakingly well out there.

dear rehnquist, all this only makes me admire you more, because it is your impressive writing talent that made me forget all this and enjoy you story from beginning to end.

i only fear that my great friend walter would have cried out "bullshit" at quite a few of the plot turns.

mes compliments, cheri. i am looking out for your next.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Wow

This cannot be the work of an amature. You should fill this out and get an agent.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Loved it

Nice story, with lots of interpersonal detail and dialog. Aimee is well written as the early love of his life who he never got together with, but you know they eventually will.

Write another one, because you do it well.

digdaddyrichdigdaddyrichabout 14 years ago
A very well planned out and presented story

The author has brought to the story a lot of interesting facts that makes all of the characters live in the story as if it were real life.

A complete well written and edited story, that reads easy, even though it is a long story.

I enjoyed every page that is written, thanks for the good story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago

harry in va seems like a person who takes himself way too seriously.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Awesome!

This was a fantastic story. I'll have to check out your other work. You should be writing novels for one of the publishing companies. This was really a well plotted, well written story.

ohioohioabout 14 years ago
another wonderful tale

I enjoyed it very much, but I also have second angiquesophie's insightful and generous remarks: a few elements were a bit on the "boiler-plate" cliché side.

Having said that: it's a wonderful story and you're a wonderful story-teller. (I'd rather read two 4-page chapters than one long daunting 8-page one, but that's just my opinion.)

Above all, please keep writing and giving us your work to enjoy!

Thanks, ohio

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
An amazing story.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this one and hope you write many more like this. Cheers Roger.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
A Great Story

I loved this - it was a great tale with a realistic ending.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Like the rating say, "one of the best"

Now I have to read ALL OF THE REST of your work. Nice work. anon jerry

cageyteecageyteeabout 14 years ago
I enjoyed it so much . . .

I was sorry when I got to the end of it. For me, this is great reading entertainment. The quality of the theme and the writing more than compensated for a few typos. I'm now looking forward to reading whatever else you have written, not to mention what you will still write. Please don't make us wait too long for your next posting.

winterfoxxwinterfoxxabout 14 years ago
Top Notch

I very much enjoyed reading this story. Another poster wrote that they stopped reading and began "watching" and I must concur. I was hooked by your characters by the end of the first page and was actually a bit disappointed that I reached the end of the story ... I enjoyed it that much!

Your characters were real and as Harry mentioned ... your dialogue supurb.

I find myself standing with applause!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Great story

Because one of the commentators here mentioned Al Steiner of SOL I'm going to read his epic, but make no mistake folks, this has been a superb bit of fiction. I've read a couple of other rock-band related tales (and appreciated them all) but this one really did it for me. It burst the bubble and showed the tawdry cheap crap scene for what it is, whilst preserving the sanctity of marriage as it is meant to be.

gatorhermitgatorhermitabout 14 years ago
Excellent writing; great romantic story

This one could have been posted in Romance. Gem of a story; Rehnquist can <i>write</i> - great character development, realistic reactions and dialogue, and a very interesting and ultimately romantic plot (and living well is truly the best revenge). Well done!

mwoody2950mwoody2950about 14 years ago
A little too long

It was to the point of boring. I read the entire story. It just seemed that there was too much effort on elaborating on the obvious and reenforcing events over and over, dragging out the enevitable of all the little subplots which could have been shortened considerably because it almost made the story confusing. It could have been a pretty sweet love story but you chose to keep twisting the dagger with small negatives so that the reader could never get excited for the budding couple. Your ending kind of left me diaappointed and depressed. I think I've said enough. Thank you for your effort and hope you continue writing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Too long???

Your first commenter said it was too long. Wrong! I'd like another chapter, it was that good! Thanks! -Ttom

RehnquistRehnquistabout 14 years agoAuthor
HarryinVA, Really No Insult Was Intended!!!

Okay, so I posted this an hour before going to the airport and flying off for 8 days in Frankfurt, Germany. I come back and see that I've ruffled feathers, and I swear to God that such was not my intention.

HarryinVA, I have read--and greatly enjoyed--most of your reviews. In reading those reviews, though, I saw repeated themes of hating wimpy lead male characters, and I think Nick was nothing if not a tad bit wimpy throughout the story. Frankly, he was muddled and lost; as one reviewer put it, he played the ostrich and kept his head in the sand. Based on that (appearently false) presumption, I only noted that you would probably hate it, but I still expressly asked that you review it. And review it you did, with an eye toward the dialogue, no less, which is what you and I discussed in our private e-mail correspondence. That is the exact type of review I was searching for, and I could've cared less how you reviewed the plot lines and such. (Though, I might add, your review of the plot line of A Case of Self-Defense was perceptive and, in my opinion, excellent!)

Alas, the one reviewer who pointed out that me singling you out in a complementary manner was correct: No offense was intended in any way, shape, or form, and I sincerely wanted you to look past the lead male character and review the story.

Thus, if any insult was inferred, please cast it aside as none was intended. And regardless of what the other reviewers said, please continue your insightful reviews.

To everyone else, thank you for taking the time to read my story and comment on it.

SpykkeSpykkeabout 14 years ago
It has been a long time...

since I have read a story on Literotica which has the quality of this. Nicely written, good tempo and length and left me with a sense of resolution. Bravo

Harryin VAHarryin VAabout 14 years ago
Thanks Rehnquist

the apology/ explanation is MUCH appreciated.

I will stay

2Xwidderwoman2Xwidderwomanabout 14 years ago
...and Thank You, Harry

for being so gracious and staying around. Although I seldom comment, the Loving Wives category is my favorite. I'm disappointed when I read a story on which Harryin VA has not commented, or if I read one before he leaves his insightful analysis. What he, and some of the other readers find in a story, makes it more enjoyable for me.

So - in addition to my thanks to Harry, I'll add thanks to the others who leave a comment that often makes me read a story twice to glean that extra insight I did not notice in the first reading. Perhaps, I was so mesmerized by the plot and characters that I missed a clue or a detail that later became important.

Thanks again, 2Xww

SleeplessinMD2SleeplessinMD2about 14 years ago
Great Story!

I knew the marriage was toast when Tara justified her cheating with his best friend with Nick's supposed actions with groupies. What I found hard to believe was that none of the other band members knew what was going on given that Carl seemed like the type to brag about his conquests. The first part of the story could have used more info about Nick's and Ethan's relationship. I also thought that Tara got kid glove treatment given that she went to destroy Nick's career within a week of the breakup. How you can trash someone you supposely loved for 5 years with no word beats me? Keep writing because your stories seems to get better with every submittal.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
I never thought Harry had such thin skin!

But then ...

This was one of the best constructed and presented I've seen on Lit.

Please write sum more. Thanks. Rich

Tx Tall TalesTx Tall Talesabout 14 years ago
Wonderful Tale

What can I say. I loved the story, the background, the small town retreat. I enjoyed Walter as something new and different, and had no problem staying interested with such fine characterization. I would have enjoyed drawing out the coming together of the new band, maybe with some additional conflict with the rest of LeadFoot which seemed to get short shrift. Also, after Walter's suggestion, it would have been nice to hear the mother's take on what went wrong.

All in all a great story. You just got favorited. :-)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Totally awesome read.

Who cares about the sex or lack thereof? I don't. If it had been in black and white on pages, I couldn't have put it down.

The man(?) can spin a yarn. Very nice.

toesmantoesmanabout 14 years ago
great stuff

I happened to read your comment on Master Vyle's essay, & decided to read some of your postings. Great stuff, you have real talent; and yes, I loved the happy ending. He got rid of a slut, & got a real winner; what's not love w/ that.

Orionman17Orionman17almost 14 years ago
I was hesitant to read a story about Hollywood elite. And passed on reading . . .

until today. I found myself enjoying the read . . . and finished it feeling good. Thank you for a great read.

gatorhermitgatorhermitalmost 14 years ago
Reads even better the 2nd time around

I read this when it was first posted and then read it again today. Rehnquist can really write a good tale. This story is near perfect - credible, concise, well paced, logical plot, and a great ending.

grogers7grogers7almost 14 years ago
Dittos to gatormint's comment

A bit like Al Steiner's "Intemperance" -- and that is high praise

BenLongBenLongalmost 14 years ago
Great Story

Could have been in a main stream mag. Great stuff, i'll have to check out more.

curioussscuriousssalmost 14 years ago
One of the best stories I have read in this category

Frankly I don't care what Harry has to say about it. I read for ME and I find it at least mildly objectionable that we have to cater to a reasonably-proficient critic before we aspire to grade an AUTHOR's story.

This is a skilled account of a potential series of events and is very well presented.

The reviewers here, including me, read stories because we enjoy them. If I don't like the story I may comment as such, but I don't make a habit out of belittling authors for their perceived shortcomings.

I may be accused of sycophancy and (horror of horrors) obsequiousness, but at least I have a genuine desire to respond to a story without stooping to a bovine 'na na na na na' mentality.

Rehnquist I really did enjoy this - it was a skilled treatment of a difficult subject, where the good guy wins in the end.

Kudos for your imaginative treatment of a potential melt-down. 'Walter' was a superb twist.

You have some lessons from your stated profession to impart and you did it very well.

I know DQS1 is the current leader in suspense and you really could have done the 'serial' bit with this story in a similar manner, but this story is one of my all-time favorites for the way you got right to it.

The 'home town' avenue was very well done and I appreciated the hell out of it.

Thank you once again.

HenridepughHenridepughalmost 14 years ago
wow, Every bit as good

as your critics said it was. I red it over breakfast much to my wifes' chagrin

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
You've probably heard this before.

An interesting story, though not one that I would consider erotic. Perhaps if Literotica created a section called Catharsis or Redemption, then I think it would sit rather well there.

Sloburn38Sloburn38over 13 years ago
A really good read

Wow, I wan't expecting it but I couldn't stop reading.

I look forward to reading more of your stuff.

Sloburn38Sloburn38over 13 years ago
One of the best

I read this over the weekend and I just have to say this is one of the best stories I have ever read.

It has a really nice flow to it and it draws you right into the story.

I love it when I catch myself thinking about the story days after I have finished reading.

Thanks

0649d0649dover 13 years ago
I have yet to read Knox but while it was ok, I liked this the least of your stories so far

I guess it was a turn-off because it wasn't erotic (rock-bands and groupies don't do it for me, and even that was lacking in the story), and also it wasn't satisfying because the wife did not feature that much in a significant role, even if she did shape the story. This fits the "loving wives" category, but it seems more like "non-erotic" or "novella"..

GethelredGethelredover 13 years ago
i truly dont care

I don't care about the fact that in this a wife played a plot role, I don't care that there was next to no sex in this. This was- completely- the best read I have had in a long time. Your characters are human and react in realistic ways. I was turned off by the name and the caption underneath it, but I was beyond pleasantly surprised. Keep writing stuff like this- maybe another murder mystery/thriller as well- and you'll have a deticated reader in me. Hell, I'd pay for a novel this good!

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Word fails me

@Gethelred : Ditto

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Excellent read

You, sir, grabbed my attention and held it throughout. I was locked in and was sorry when I got to the end. There was so much more following Tara's departure that I wanted you to guide me through.

Thanks, and keep writing!

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
wonderfully written

thoroughly enjoyable..... doesnt matter if there aint no sex... this story rocks!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Power chords?

As a guitar player for longer than I care to admit (learning the guitar riffs to Long Cool Woman not too long after it came out) the chords leading into the vocals aren't power chords....otherwise a pretty good read. ;-)

RehnquistRehnquistover 13 years agoAuthor
Yes, power chords

Dear Anonymous,

Having also played guitar for twenty years, and also owning the guitar tab version of Long Cool Woman, I can affirm that the song begins with arpeggios leading into power chords. Power chords being defined as simplified chord structures played on only two strings--rather than three or more,which would give you all three notes in a major chord--the beginning is a power chord E major riff. Played on the low E and A strings, the tab is 02, 02, 04, 05, 04.

So yeah, it's definitely power chords, at least in the guitar recorded version books I own.

classof69classof69over 13 years ago
Goin' Back...

Great read! Thank you so much for the entertainment. Loved Walter, story line and teddy is the type of friend everyone should have!

Harryin Va,

Been reading literotica for a year. Sorry to say i've never noticed your critiques but from all the other comments here, i'm sure they were intelligent as well as welcomed by readers and authors alike!

Sorry but i thought Rhenquist was polite and even respectful of what you think! It almost seemed as if he was apologizing for not writing in the style you like reviewing!

You need to get over yourself. If you truly enjoy these stories and commenting on them, you are only hurting yourself by withdrawing from them.

Reminds me of an old quote, (Shakespeare?): "Hate is the poison we drink in the hope that our enemies will die!"

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Really a very good read.

Refreshing change from the usual tripe written by other authors.

KyuzioKyuzioover 13 years ago
Excellent story with great characterization!

I just finished reading "What You Wish For" and loved it! I decided to see what else this Rehnquist had written. You, sir, are definitely now one of my favorite writers on Literotica. You spin a good tale and have excellent characters. I realize that in a short story format you cannot develop all the characters as much as you wish, but the ones you do concentrate on, you fill out well! I was drawn to and sympathized with Nick's character.

Excellently done!

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Minor edit

"He didn't think you'd do a runner," Teddy said. "He thought you'd go straight to him and either demand Carl be booted–"

"Which I immediately suggested," Carl interjected.

"Or just quit LeadFoot altogether," Teddy finished.

"At which time I was going to show you the re-writes from Teddy, get the record deal, and keep your career intact," Ethan added. "Oh, and help you find a new bass player."

I think in the second line here, it should be Ethan interjected. Great story, all and all.

BigJohn601BigJohn601over 13 years ago
Let's have a little more Walter.......

Most people already think I'm crazy, but I took credence from Walter in the story because I have my own ghost to talk to. My son was killed the first week of the Iraqi invasion in a helicopter crash. A year later I started having "visits" complete with two way conversations. Of course I saw the doctors who gave me a whole battery of tests and determined I suffered delusions of unknown cause. No one else sees my son but my wife will often ask if I have started wearing our sons old colognes. I threw them out after his death and have never used even after shave. His visits do help me and have made his death easier to bear. So lets have a little more Walter in your new stories, Please....

BobNbobbiBobNbobbiabout 13 years ago
Good story

This was an interesting read I obviously missed when it first came out. My younger brother reminds me a bit of the Terry character; I think I will send him a copy and ask what he thinks about it from the music business standpoint. The idea of going back home though, that can be a problem. Was home ever really the way our minds paint it? Still, as I selected for a title, a good story. This one stands with the Cheif Justice's best.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
Just wonderful.

Just needs better proof reading, but story is superb.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
Excellent

I just really like this story. More please

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
An Exceptional Crafted Piece of Writing!

Rehnquist : Goin' Back Home Again

You have a knack of making your charcaters come to life with exceptional dialogue, descriptive wording and character interactions which are very believable. You couple that with a plot which requires research and knowledge of the inner workings of the entertainment business, and do so in a way that is intriguing with twists and turns that heighten the reader's interest and draw them in deeper by introducing a ghost which converses with the main character. This unexpected event which continues for some time grabs the reader holding them spellbound trying to make sense of what is happening. You carefully weld all these elements spinning a tale of fame, glamour, deceit, pain, hope, and happiness leaving them with a happy ending. Unfortunately in divorce there is no happy ending, but life does gone on, and if one is lucky he/she can find the happiness they hope to achieve being wiser and having learned from your past as you so well have shown in this work. The one element that stands out is the importance you place on friends and family and the loyalty and trust that they provide leads to happiness for all.This seems to be a common element in your writing and it will be one that will draw your readers to you and keep them following your works as you produce them.

Take Care!

Simple_Me

RonRWoodRonRWoodalmost 13 years ago
Great

I thought this story great when I first read it, but I never commented. I got away from the comment section for a year or two because the comments got short and nasty and quite often were directed towards the writers personally.

I have often wondered why most of you allowed comments. I have noticed some don't. I have read the comments on this story and the story is great there too! I picked up what many commenters really think, including Harry in VA. I now realize that he is an intelligent reader but gets carried away in expressing his opinions. Just like I did in 2009 when I first started reading stories.

At the time I was reminded by another author I had once e-mailed, that it was just a story and was not really bad at all. It was a sequel as presented by another author on one of Ohio's open-ended stories about Early and Susan. I was upset that he turned her into a different person from what Ohio had. Many others wrote spin-offs which created totally different stories with the same characters.

But Ohio was brilliant! There was no other possible ending because of the way he wrote the characters! That told me how really good he was.I learned that we might want to change what occured, but we can't if the author presents the main characters as fictional people that are immovable in their beliefs.

I quit commenting for a long time when I realized commenters were putting themselves out there too. I suspect that is one of the main reason for being a Nonny Mouse. Once- I was told that I had some real moral issues and was most likely a wimpy cum-eating cuckold myself because I suggested that I would have preferred reconciliation because the combatants really had a great family-life and really adored each other no matter the cheating.

I had exposed myself I realized, so I wiped most of my bio because I did not want to be judged by all these hateful commenters! I say that, because I had spent a lifetime as first a combat Marine, and then periods as a State Cop and business man. I had always received respect from others and I had always been fair and respectful to other people and of their lives together.

I went anonymous after that, at least up until recently. I realize now that everyone should identify and express theirselves and even throw in some life experiences of their own to both help the writers or to identify their reasons as to why they have such feelings about the characters.

That is why I am trying to reread all these stories and have started saying so much. I am a bit wordy I guess but then I am like you good writers and have a lot to say in my dialogues.

I have evolved as a commenter I think, and I read the stories quite differently this time around. I only wish I had your's and several other's talents of being able to write so well. I submitted a couple stories and wasn't accepted because I did not know how to paragraph. I tried an editor and was told I was too boring with all the detail I used and had way too many repetitious paragraphs and chapters. I guess I needed a Marcia like Tyler had after the beautiful Kristen left him. See how I remember the characters you good authors describe?

Now I am a successful if maybe still ignorant commenter and I have learned not to just overreact when the story doesn't go the way I want. I can express my own opinion and even reply to other commenters if they critisize me! Thus I have become a critic of sorts! Thanks Rehnquist,

Thanks for the entertainment again.

roguerrillaroguerrillaalmost 13 years ago
I give up.

Don't you ever write a bad story? You're going to make me read every single one. Which I will - with pleasure.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous