Flash 03: Loose Ends

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Sorry, a lot of static in my carpet," I said as his memories downloaded into my brain.

"Of course," he said, rubbing his hand. I invited him inside and offered a cup of coffee, which he readily accepted. Then I grabbed my laptop and a folder from my office and brought it into the front room.

"I just want to say, Mr. Drake, that I'm truly sorry about what happened to your wife," he said. "I know this isn't an easy time for you."

"Thank you for saying so, Mr. Dewey," I said. "But in all honesty, shouldn't you be talking to my attorney?"

"Yes, and I did speak with Ms. Hawkins," he said. "But I thought you and I could take care of things, man-to-man. That's why I'm authorized to give you this right now to settle the lawsuit." He handed me a check for $4 million. I chuckled as I looked at it, then handed it back.

"You're missing a couple zeros on that check, Tom," I said. "Besides, I'm not authorized to accept anything you have to offer without my lawyer present." His demeanor changed and he suddenly looked very threatening. I didn't need to probe his mind to know what he was thinking.

"Do you have any idea who you're dealing with, Cameron?" he asked. I picked up the folder and opened it up.

"I suppose this is where you start monologuing like a villain in one of those old Saturday morning cartoons," I said. "You know, where you tell me how rich and powerful you are, how many cops you have on your payroll, how many politicians you have lining up to suck your dick. Maybe you'll even tell me how you'll have Max or some of his buddies make life difficult for me if I don't go along with your program. The real question you should be asking is: do you have any idea what you're dealing with, Mr. Big Hot-Shot Lawyer Man?"

He looked down at the coffee table as I began putting photos I had printed out earlier. Photos of Bergstrom screwing my wife, wiping his filthy dick on her tear-streaked face, then laughing as she lay on the boardroom table, crying.

"Where did you get these?" he asked.

"You'd never believe me if I told you," I said. "Your client targeted my wife, set her up, tried to frame her. Then he used and abused her in the most horrific ways imaginable. Then he directed Chad Wheeler to have her killed," I added, placing photos of her in the hospital and the wreckage of her car on the table. "He admitted doing it in court, along with the rest of the board. A jury has already found them guilty. And now they need to pay for what they've done. And you know something?"

"What?" he asked, his face ashen as he looked at the photos I placed on the table.

"I think you knew about it," I said. He looked up at me, shocked. "Oh, you may not have known all the particulars, and you may not have even known her name, but you knew Bergstrom and his board were up to no good. Hell, you've spent years cleaning up after him. And I happen to know he invited you to take part in one of his orgies. I've even got it on video if you want to see it."

"Video?" he asked. "How did you get video?"

"I got it from the same place I got these photos," I said.

"Alright, yes, he invited me, but I turned him down," he said.

"I know," I said. "But there was something he told you that got me wondering. Something about your last frat party in college. Said his latest 'piece,' meaning my wife, was very much like her. You remember that?"

"I may recall something like that," he said. I pulled out one more photo and set it in front of him. The photo showed a young attractive blonde between a much younger Bergstrom and an equally younger Tom Dewey. All three were naked, with Bergstrom's dick in her mouth and Dewey's in her pussy.

"What the hell is this?" he asked, his face white.

"June 1976, just a few days before your graduation," I said. "The woman, in case you forgot, was Janice Taylor, a second-year medical student engaged to one of your frat brothers. He caught the three of you, kicked your asses, then took his engagement ring back from her. I guess you forgot he was the state karate champion in 1975.

"You went on to Harvard Law School while Bergstrom went to business school. Janice, however, fell into a deep depression and took her own life a few days after this... incident," I said.

"Where did you get this from?" he asked. "No one took any pictures that night."

"Same place I got most of those other pictures," I said. "You may not have participated in Bergstrom's rape of my wife, and yes, as far as I'm concerned, it was rape. But you knew what kind of a man Bergstrom is, and you knew what he was up to, but you never once did anything to stop him. I'm no lawyer like you, Tom, but it seems to me you're at least somewhat complicit in what happened to her. In my book, you should be sharing a cell right along with him."

"So, what do you want?" he asked.

"I want for this to have never happened," I said. "But that's not possible. So instead, I want Bergstrom and his minions to pay with everything they have. And I want you to make it happen. Do the right thing. For once."

"And if I refuse to do what you want?" he asked. He gasped as I flexed my eye muscles, making them flash red. Then his face changed as he grabbed his chest. I let him experience some pain for a few moments, then released his heart and watched as the color came back to his face. He took a few deep breaths and looked at me, shocked.

"W... What are you?" he asked.

"I'm your worst fucking nightmare, Mr. Hot Shot Lawyer Man. I'm a pissed-off husband looking for justice," I said. He nodded his head as he thought about what I said.

"I... understand, Mr. Drake," he finally said.

"Good," I told him. "You know, maybe after this business with Bergstrom is over, you should consider retiring. Take your wife on that Caribbean cruise she's always wanted to take."

"Maybe you're right," he said. "How did he know about that?" I heard him ask in his mind.

"I look forward to hearing from my attorney real soon, Tom," I said as I escorted him to the door. "It's time to put an end to this nightmare."

"Good night, Mr. Drake," he said as we shook hands at the door. "And I do hope your wife recovers soon."

"As do I, Tom," I said. I waited for about an hour before connecting with Tom's mind. I figured he would be at home by then, and I was right. I saw him put his briefcase and jacket away before pouring a glass of whiskey. His wife came up behind him and wrapped her arms around him.

"I saw the news about the trial, Tom," she said. "I know how much you hate losing. But maybe it was for the best. You can't win them all, you know. And I never did like that Bergstrom character anyway."

"I've known Harold for damn near 40 years," Tom said. "I kept telling him his dick was gonna get him in trouble, but he never listened. Now he's going to lose everything. His freedom, his money, everything. You know, I met an interesting young man tonight. Kinda reminded me of the way I was when I first went to law school. Idealistic, headstrong. Full of ideas like justice. Made me realize there's more important things in life besides wealth and power."

"Oh? What are you thinking?"

"I'll be done with this Bergstrom mess in a week or so. I was thinking about retiring. Think you can still get those tickets for that Caribbean cruise?"

"I think so," she said. "What brought this on?"

"I realized that you've put up with me for what, 30 years? Thirty years of me putting my career before everything else."

"Thirty-two years, five months and 18 days," she said with a smile. "But who's counting? And what will you tell Senator Johnson? He's been after you to take that seat on the Superior Court."

"I'll tell him I've decided to devote more time to my loving wife, who's more than earned it," he said.

"Well, whoever this young man is, I'll have to thank him for opening your eyes," she said as she wrapped her arms around him. He wrapped his arms around her and held her close.

"What do you say we go upstairs and 'discuss' our second honeymoon? Maybe after the cruise, we can go to Europe and visit all those places you want to see."

"Oh, Tom, you don't have to do all that," she said. "Just having you here with me would be perfect."

"Whatever you say, dear," he said. "Whatever you say." I disconnected from his mind. At least one marriage would have a happy ending, I thought.

The next day, I got a call from Steven, the lead U.S. Attorney. He wanted to know if I would be willing to address the court during the sentencing hearing.

"This will be your chance to tell the court how all of this has affected you and your marriage to Ginger," he said.

"They're still going to prison, right?" I asked.

"Oh, yes, and I have every reason to believe they'll get a life sentence. But hearing from you might help. Are you willing to do it?" he asked.

"Of course," I said. "I'll be there."

"Good man," he said. He gave me all the particulars before we ended the call.

A couple days later, I got a call from Andrea, telling me the attorneys representing all 12 of the board members contacted her. To a person, every single one of them agreed to our demands.

"I've never had that happen before," she said. "I honestly thought we'd be fighting this for a year or two at least. Anyway, the signed papers are being filed in court today and I've been told the funds will be released and available in a week. I'll send you an email with the details. Remember, there's taxes coming out of all that, plus my cut, so you'll probably see a bit less than a third of the total settlement, but it's still pretty darn good for a day's work. I hope you know a good financial planner."

"As a matter of fact, I do," I said, thinking of Jack.

"Good," she said. "Well, I'd better get going, but I will be in touch. Congratulations, Cameron, and I do hope your wife recovers soon."

"Thank you, Andrea," I said. "So do I." My next call was to Jack Peabody, Ginger's CEO. He had offered the services of a financial planner when he paid me $100 million to help him clean up his company.

That effort led to Bergstrom and his gang being arrested and charged. He also put $100 million into an offshore account for Ginger. Between that and the money I was about to receive, we would be set quite well for the rest of our lives. Jack was ecstatic to hear of the settlement, and suggested I come see his nephew as soon as possible.

Nathan Jones was already looking after the large payment Jack had given me, and so far, he was doing a good job keeping it safe from the vultures that large sums of money seem to attract. I knew Jack was right. I would need someone like Nathan to look out for my interests.

"I think that would be a good idea, Jack," I said. "He's done a good job so far. I'll give him a call and set up an appointment. Did you hear about the trial?"

"I sure did," he said. "Are you going to the sentencing?"

"Yes, I was asked to address the court," I said.

"So was I, so I guess we'll see each other then. Maybe we can go have a beer afterward, if you're up to it."

"Sounds like a plan, Jack," I said.

"By the way, how's our girl," he asked, referring to Ginger.

"They're going to be doing the surgery in a few days," I said.

"We'll keep her in our thoughts, Cameron," he said. "And if there's anything you need, just call." We said our goodbyes and ended the call.

A few days later, I met Jack at the courthouse for the sentencing. We shook hands and went into the courtroom, which was filling up fast with reporters and spectators. Jack and I watched the 12 "Dirty Dozen" being led into the room in shackles. None of them looked like they had slept very well lately. I smiled to myself, knowing the reason for that.

We all rose when the judge came into the courtroom and sat back down when he gave the word. He started the hearing and gave the defendants a chance to speak on their own behalf. They each said they were sorry for any hurt they had caused, but none of them really seemed very remorseful to me.

When they were finished, Jack was called to address the court. Then it was my turn. I had a whole speech written out, but decided not to use it. Instead, I spoke from the heart.

I told the court how Ginger and I had met and fallen in love. I talked about how warm and loving she was before Bergstrom and his gang got their hooks into her. I could feel the pressure in my head as I recalled the events of those six or seven months and had to stop a couple times to catch my breath.

"Your honor," I said. "Ginger was a beautiful, loving woman. And those 12 individuals deliberately targeted her, threatened her, drugged her and as far as I'm concerned, raped her. Repeatedly. They used her like a piece of meat. She was forced to get an abortion, thinking she was saving my life in the process. They didn't care what they were doing to her, or to me, or us. In that time, Ginger changed into something I didn't recognize.

"I nearly divorced her and even had papers put together. Then I learned what happened to her. I didn't know it at the time, but she fought back the only way she thought she could. And because of her efforts, their plots and schemes have been laid bare.

"Ginger doesn't know what is happening here today. She doesn't know that her efforts have paid off. That's because she's been in a coma ever since the attempt on her life. And now, she has a brain tumor. I don't know if she'll recover or not, your honor. And I don't know if I'll ever get her back.

"I've already gotten my pound of flesh from these... people, but in my mind, there's no level of Hell too low for them. I only ask that you give them the maximum sentence you possibly can, your honor. Ginger deserves nothing less. Thank you." I thought I saw moisture in the judges eye as he listened to me wrap up.

"Thank you, Mr. Drake," he said as he wiped his face with a handkerchief. After I sat down, Jack patted my arm and gave me a reassuring smile as he nodded his head. The judge considered the 12 defendants before speaking.

"There are simply not enough words in the English language to adequately express my loathing and disgust with the twelve of you," he said. "The things I have heard here in this case frankly make me sick to my stomach. I'd love nothing more than to sentence each of you to the lowest circle of Hell, but unfortunately, my hands are tied by federal law. Therefore, I sentence you to spend the rest of the your lives in federal prison. Bailiff, take them into custody and prepare them for transport. Court is adjourned."

He pounded his gavel and I felt as if a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I looked and saw Bergstrom speaking with Tom. I connected to his mind so I could hear what the two men had to say to each other.

"I guess this is the end, then," Bergstrom said, reminding me of that old 1960s song by The Doors.

"Yes, it is, Harold," Tom said sadly. "You know, I warned you that one day your dick would write a check you wouldn't be able to cover."

"I know," Bergstrom said. "But hey, at least I can say I went out with a bang."

"Good luck to you, Harold," Tom said, extending his hand. Bergstrom shook it as best he could with the shackles.

"Thank you, Tom, for being a friend," Bergstrom said. A bailiff came and led Bergstrom away, which was my cue to disconnect. Tom closed up his briefcase and walked to the table where Jack and I sat. He stopped and turned to us.

"I sincerely hope your wife fully recovers, Mr. Drake," he said, extending his hand.

"Thank you, Mr. Dewey," I said, accepting his handshake. "I appreciate that." He nodded his head and turned to Jack.

"I hear your nephew is in town, Jack," he said.

"Yes, he's working at the firm now," Jack said.

"I hope everything goes well for you Jack, and I'm truly sorry... for everything," he said.

"Apology accepted, Tom," Jack said. "So, what's this rumor about you retiring? I thought you were up for a seat on the bench."

"After more than 30 years, I've decided there's things in life more important than work," he said. "If all goes well, this time next month Julie and I will be enjoying the Caribbean together. Who knows? Maybe we'll buy a little bungalow down in Costa Rica or something. Spend our golden years on the beach."

"Sounds like fun," Jack said. "Good luck."

"Thank you, Jack. Good luck to you as well." With that, Tom left. Jack and I made our way out of the courthouse and managed to steer clear of the reporters gathered for the sentencing. We walked to a small bar just down the street and ducked inside, where we grabbed a table and ordered a couple beers.

"I can't tell you how glad I am that part's all over," I said, taking a sip of my beer.

"Me too," Jack said. "So, have you given any thought about what we talked about?"

"You mean, starting my own business?" I asked.

"Yes," Jack said. "You have more than enough to make it happen now."

"That's true," I said. "I've given that a lot of thought. I want to get Ginger through this surgery first, but the more I think about it, the more it appeals to me."

"If you want, I can talk to Nathan and see if he'd be willing to put together a business plan for you," Jack said. "Would you be interested in that?"

"Yeah, what the hell," I said. "So, how are things with you?"

"I'm doing quite well, thank you for asking," Jack said with a smile. He certainly seemed happier than the last time I saw him. I knew he had won his lawsuits as well, but I decided not to press him on that. If he wanted me to know, he would tell me. "Believe it or not, there really is life after divorce." I chuckled at that.

"Your wife and daughter? Any word on them?" I asked.

"They turned state's evidence against Bergstrom and his gang," Jack said. "Got a reduced sentence, but they'll still spend a few years in a minimum security facility. Nothing like what Bergstrom will face, though."

"How's the love life, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Not at all. Haven't had time, frankly. I've been a bit busy putting the firm back together. Got a new board, all of them seem quite capable and they all came highly recommended. Things are picking up and looking good on that end, anyway. Unfortunately, that doesn't leave me with a lot of time for personal pursuits. But I plan to change that here pretty soon."

"I'm glad to hear that, Jack," I said. We drank our beer and talked about this and that for a while, then went our separate ways. I went to the hospital to see Ginger and sit with her for a while. I told her about the sentencing and the time I spent with Jack afterward. Before I left, I kissed her on the forehead.

On the day of her surgery, I was in her room early and watched as the nurses prepared her for the procedure. Dr. Samuels came into the room and told me it could take a while, so I camped out in the waiting room with my laptop and watched some shows on Amazon. Four hours later, he came back and motioned for me to follow him into a small conference room.

"The surgery was a success," he said. "I believe we got the whole thing, but I want to monitor her closely for a while."

"Of course," I said. "Now if we can only get her to wake up." He nodded his head.

"That would be the icing on the cake," he said. "You know, if it wasn't for her being in a coma, she could probably go home in a few hours."

"So I can see her soon?"

"Sure, we'll have her back in her room in a couple hours and you can go right on in," he said.

"Thanks, doc," I said. I packed up my laptop and went to the cafeteria where I grabbed a bite to eat. A couple hours later, I headed for her room, and saw that she had already been brought back. I almost expected to see her head bandaged up, and was surprised when I saw that not only was she not bandaged up, but her blonde hair was still in place. Then I remembered Dr. Samuels saying the procedure didn't require her to be shaved.