Helpful Encounters

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I guess," Faith had sighed in reply. She had not liked Moira bringing up her bad memories of past assholes. Especially not the asshole who had turned her off kung fu classes after she escaped the rape attempt. Thank goodness she'd later found a better martial arts school and hadn't been attacked since. The rape attempt was just a one time thing, and she had easily escaped. She'd also heard a few days later from the newspaper that the jerk who threatened her had been picked up by a female plainclothes cop running a sting operation in the same parking lot. Not that Faith had reported the crime- she hadn't gotten a good look at the guy and memories only came rushing back when she saw his face in the paper. But apparently someone else had reported a similar crime, or maybe the guy had ambushed the female cop and karma had claimed him. Either way, all was good. Of course, in the meanwhile her kung fu classes hadn't worked out, but then she found a kickboxing class that did. And she met Moira and they hooked up together. And now she was alone. Faith shook her head.

I should really be concentrating on the current situation with the bear, Faith decided, banishing further memories.

It was close to her, but not too close. Sniffing the air. It was after sunset but not completely dark yet. With the aid of her flashlight she could see the bear. And it did not appear to have noticed the light yet.

Faith knew little about bears. Three species were native to North America- black, brown, and polar. She was a bit far south for polar. Good, they were generally the biggest deadliest type. And this bear was black, the smallest. So maybe she could fight it off, or outrun it, or climb a tree to escape.

No, wait, none of those seemed a good idea. She was already lost, so she did not know where to run away to. Nor could she climb a tree easily in the dark. And if she tripped on a root in the forest- she hadn't so far, but it was a possible danger to anticipate- she'd be easy prey for the bear. And it still outweighed her by at least fifty pounds, probably more. Or maybe it was the same weight as her hundred twenty pound frame. It was hard to tell in the dark. And it was very dangerous, whatever the weight. Male bears are supposed to be bigger, I think, Faith thought. But females can be just as dangerous, especially around cubs. I don't see any cubs here, so either this is a male bear or an unattached female. Not that it really matters. It can still hurt me. I have no weapons. I moved into the woods without thinking. I didn't even know bears were native to this area. Shit!

Okay, she decided. The bear has yet to notice me. I should back away before it does. Get away carefully.

She looked around, saw no other immediate dangers. Faith chose a random direction, then moved that way in a fast backwards crouch.

The bear sniffed the air, sensing her movement. Then it looked directly at her, let out an unintelligible bellow, and moved in the same direction.

Augh!

Faith panicked, started moving more rapidly. She did not care where she was running, only that she had to get away.

The bear was on her heels, snuffling, roaring.

She ran.

Trees were in her path. She dodged them. Faith also hopped over a log she noticed just in time. She flashed her lit phone before her, noted obstacles and avoided them. Kept running. The bear was close behind, running on all fours. She continued running, did not look back.

She heard the noise of a car nearby, ran in that direction. Maybe she could get the bear hit by a vehicle as she crossed the road, or it would be too scared of traffic to follow her across the highway. Faith kept running, hoping either tactic would work.

Soon she was stumbling out of the woods, and the highway was in front of her. It must have been closer than she thought. A loud horn honking startled her. She turned to the vehicle and waved. It was a minivan, she noticed. A red vehicle with tinted windows. Faith stopped, waved frantically, called out.

The driver swerved around her and sped on. Shit! Faith fumed, noticing the vehicle's bumper sticker that proclaimed "My Kid is an Honor Student." And you are a lousy role model, she thought, shaking her head as the minivan disappeared from her view.

The bear! she remembered, turning around. It had stopped at the edge of the forest, was staring at her with a quizzical expression.

Then it yawned, turned, and walked away from her. Okay, she was safer than a few seconds ago. Good.

And I'm back on the road, Faith reminded herself. Don't know where my car is, but maybe... she checked her phone. Damn it, still no signal. Crap!

She heard another approaching vehicle. Looked and saw a white panel truck. A Jesus fish was on the license plate and a cross was dangling from the windshield. Faith waved at the driver, tried to flag him down. She could barely make out a Hispanic woman behind the wheel.

The vehicle kept going. Apparently the driver didn't see her. Or maybe she had a company policy against picking up hitchhikers that overrode common charity. It wasn't clear to Faith which was the case.

That minivan driver may not have seen me either, she thought. Or maybe they saw the bear and were too scared to stop. Or maybe their kid was in the car bugging them about something. I have no idea.

Whatever the case, she was still in bad circumstances. Lost in unfamiliar territory, no car, no cell reception. Shit!

A horn honked at her. A green four door sedan was pulling over nearby. A thin brown-haired man in his late thirties with a clean-shaved face and easygoing features rolled down his window and shouted, "Hey, lady, you need help?"

Faith noticed he had a slight unfamiliar accent. He seemed nice, though, and she did need help. I'll hope he is nice, she decided. But still keep in mind the potential for danger of course.

"Yes!" she answered, hurrying to the sedan. "My car ran out of gas nearby and I'm lost."

The man nodded. "Black two door Kia?" he asked. "I saw it about two miles back, pulled over in the breakdown lane."

"Yes!" Faith felt relieved. "Can you help me? Is there a gas station nearby?"

"About ten miles that way." The man pointed at the road. "Town called Zephyr Cove, close to several resorts. You live around here?"

"No, I'm..." Faith paused, then realized she had to trust the man. "I'm, uh, vacationing and attending a tech convention at a resort called Garin-Ruiz."

"What a coincidence!" The strange man smiled. "I'm staying there and headed back myself. Why don't I take you the rest of the way? Or if you prefer, I can take you to a gas station in Zephyr Cove, get you a can full of gas, and then drive you back to your car. Or call you a tow truck once I find better reception."

"Any of that would be great!" Faith said, then paused again. She would have to get in the man's car for any of those things, and if he was a bad guy...

The man sensed her unease. "I promise I'm not going to hurt you if you get in my car," he said. He then made a gesture Faith did not recognize. Noticing her lack of recognition, he frowned. "Ever hear the story of the Good Samaritan?" he then asked. "I'm the Samaritan, you're the traveler. I promise, I'm not a man of ill intent!"

Something in his tone was earnest. Faith decided to take it at face value. "Okay," she said to the stranger, then touched his car's door handle. The door opened easily. She slid inside and closed the door, relaxed on the car's passenger seat.

"Put on your seat belt please," the man told her. "This car's alarm will go off once I start moving if you don't put it on."

"Right," Faith acknowledged. She then buckled her belt.

"You can have a drink," the man offered next, "if you don't mind sharing my water." He pointed at a partially full bottle of water in the cupholder beside the car's gear shift. "It's safe, local, tastes okay."

"I'm fine," Faith declined. She was recovering. "Um, can we get going? I just got away from a bear."

"A bear?"

"Yeah. It was in the woods and chased me to the road."

"Huh. Well, if it comes back, I have bear spray. A game warden I met hunting in Wyoming and a female forest ranger I met vacationing in Maine both swear by the brand."

"Bear spray?"

"Yeah, it's like pepper spray, but higher concentration. They sell it in Zephyr Cove. I got some yesterday, I couldn't bring any weapons on the plane over here and it was easy to get. Warden Joe Pickett and Ranger Ramona Greentree are both heroes in their professions and they endorse this brand." The man showed her a large black canister, then placed it back in the storage space of the car's driver's side door. "Sorry, I'm ex-military. I like to keep a weapon close at hand."

"No problem," Faith said, though she felt her anxiety rise. "That, uh, work on humans too?"

"Yes," the man said. "Not lethal, irritates them slightly more than normal pepper spray. It will ward off a bear or a man intent on harm." He frowned. "Uh, I have to say it. You're beautiful."

"Thank you." Faith said cautiously. "You from around here?"

The man shook his head. "I'm visiting from overseas. London, though I'm from Holland originally. I'm Wouter Staal. That's Walter Steel in English. My parents live near the border between Holland and Germany. My family's of German descent."

"Faith." She shook the man's offered hand, noticed his light firm grip and quick release. Cute guy, she thought. Seems nice too, even with the paranoia. Which, I guess, might be justifiable around here. If I weren't attached...

I'm not attached, she thought in the next instant. Moira and I have never discussed exclusivity and I'm here all weekend, with no other immediate prospects for a sexual partner. Been a while since I felt a cock too. Moira's dildo and similar objects aren't quite the same. If this guy is unattached and stays nice...

What if he doesn't stay nice? Moira's voice in her mind countered. Yeah, I might not mind you spending sexy time with other people at the convention, if you're even inclined to tell me, but what if he threatens you or gets violent? What then?

Better test the situation, Faith mused. "Um, I don't have cash to pay you for the ride."

"I'm not expecting payment," Wouter replied. His speech was clipped and precise, casual and good English but obviously not native. "I'm helping you because I'm a good man. No reward necessary, although..." His gaze turned suggestive. "I wouldn't turn down a dinner together at the resort."

So he is single, Faith noted. Maybe. "Would it just be the two of us?"

"If you like. Or I can also invite people to join us. I know the resort's owners and a few staff members." He looked at the road, then back at Faith. "You can meet them at the resort. Bring your friends too, if you can and want to. Are we going to the resort or a gas station? Either is probably too far for you to walk to after sundown."

And I doubt I'll get another ride offered to me, Faith thought to herself. So I'll accept this ride and hope the guy stays nice.

"Is the resort far?" she asked. "Do they have a tow service?"

"No, and yes," Wouter answered. "They have taxis and airport shuttles too. I'm surprised you didn't take one of them from, I'm guessing, Carson City?"

"I like to drive myself," Faith said sheepishly. "Car rental was cheap. They warned me the gas gauge was broken, but... can you start driving, please?"

Occupy this guy with driving, she was thinking. He seems friendly, but if he isn't...

Wouter again guessed her unease and pulled into the road. "Sorry. We're going to the resort, yes?"

"Yes," Faith confirmed. "Unless I ask you to stop somewhere closer." I can decide that's better for me at any moment, she mused. And that bear spray is close enough for me to reach over him, grab it, and give him a face full if I decide that's a better idea. Wait, he'll probably crash the car if I do that. Maybe he won't... I hope it doesn't become necessary. I have to hope that.

"Fair enough," Wouter said. "Um, do you mind me talking about myself a bit more? I'm a bit lonely. My boss sent me here alone to check up on some old friends of his, they recently established their own resort hotel. They hired a few staff members from our club who wanted to move to America. The boss wanted me to make sure everyone was okay. They're nice, but... I don't know them that well. I work at a cabaret club in West London, security and logistics. I was in the military before that. I'm a retired First Lieutenant in the Royal Netherlands Army, Korps Commandotroepen. That's Special Forces, if you didn't know."

"Um, nice." Faith frowned. Shit, she thought, he really could be a dangerous guy. Or maybe not, Special Forces soldiers are supposed to be honorable after all. I should keep a healthy suspicion, but not let it lead me. Hope for the best but expect the worst, Faith. "Were you discharged?"

"After five years, yes. That was about fifteen years ago now. I still work for the RNA and NATO on occasion, though. I was in a United Nations Multi-National Anti-Terrorist Unit. My old commander started a private security company as a side hustle. It's called Backlash Security. I'm an executive manager with them and the Inside Out Cabaret Club."

The names he mentioned were familiar. Inside Out was one of London's more popular cabarets. It was frequently mentioned in celebrity gossip. Faith had also heard of Backlash Security on the news. It was a private military contractor like Blackwater or Wagner Group, only it had a better reputation. The CEO is supposed to be some South African former Major or Colonel, a big time anti-terrorist war hero, Faith recalled. I saw him interviewed on the news once. He was a big bald black native African and seemed easygoing, I felt like I could trust him, his name was Clarke. If this guy works for him, maybe he's okay too.

"I work in computer software myself," she volunteered. "I'm a lead engineer for Shortstop Technical Consultants. My bosses are Stephanie Coleman and Keith Wang-Matthews. Some old college friends of theirs own this resort and are hosting a tech convention this weekend. My bosses couldn't make it, they had a conflicting event with their son, so they sent me and a couple other people."

"You're checking out your boss's old friends too," Wouter guessed, driving while talking.

"Uh, yeah," Faith replied after musing over things for a second. "They said I could also make a few connections at the conference in our industry. We're a small firm, started two years ago. If we can get business going down here as well as in Seattle... I wouldn't mind it. My bosses used to work at Dell before they went into private practice a few years back."

"Nice. I'd be happy to introduce you to Boris Garin and Elena Ruiz. They're the resort owners."

Faith nodded. "Your boss at Backlash sent you to check out their resort?"

"No, our mutual boss at the club. He's also my old friend from high school in Taiwan. His name's Doug Ramsay, he's an entertainment mogul, owns and manages Inside Out."

Another familiar name, Faith thought. Doug Ramsay was a billionaire entertainment mogul who lived in London. She recalled that he was once connected to various celebrities romantically last decade before he married some businesswoman. He was a guest at Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's wedding back in May, Faith remembered. The media pointed him out and he waved at the cameras. I saw it on TV.

"We went to high school together," Wouter went on. "Then I needed a good job once I got out of the military, so did a few other friends of mine. Doug gave us those jobs. That was before we got Backlash Securities started. We still do security and other things for Doug when NATO and other clients don't need us. I've lost track of which of our two gigs takes up more of our time." He laughed. "We're a bit more selective of our clients and operations than other military contractors. Are you married?"

"I... I have a girlfriend." Maybe he would assume Faith was a lesbian.

"Good for you. Committed or are you in the open lifestyle?"

"I... I'm not sure." Faith didn't want to upset the guy, he had been nice to her so far and was cute. She didn't like speaking untruthfully either, and had no agenda motivating her to put him down. Be nice, she told herself, until he makes clear to you it's better not to be. Cautious trust.

Wouter kept his eyes on the road while talking to her. "Okay, well, like I said, I'm not expecting any reward for helping you out. It's your decision whether or not to give one. We don't have to see each other after this if you prefer that. Hey, there's a gas station up ahead. I need to use the restroom. I'll pull over there, you can see if there's a tow company that can help you."

He's offering me a way out of his company, Faith realized. Rather than acting entitled to a reward or reminding me he's expecting it. That's good. Not like that smarmy kung fu instructor hard on for a date at all. Okay, maybe I can trust this stranger. Good.

Wouter was still talking. "You want to keep accepting my help, it's available. You'd rather trust someone else, fine. It's your choice."

"Thank you, that's fine with me." She checked her phone. Yes, she had service! And text messages from Moira. Faith quickly thumbed through them. Inquiries about whether she had gotten to the resort yet, how was her flight, and so on. I didn't think to text her, Faith thought. I was so busy dealing with the rental car and everything else.

Her bosses had also emailed her. Keith Wang-Matthews and Stephanie Coleman were reminding her of various convention events and resort activities. They advised her to check in with Boris Garin and Elena Ruiz upon arrival- the same names Wouter had dropped.

Wouter pulled into the parking lot of a Circle K gas station. "I'll be right back," he told Faith, turning off the car and pocketing his keys. "You can wait here or get out and walk away, trust someone else to help you. Either way, I have to pee soon."

Faith recognized her circumstances as she watched him unbuckle his safety belt and exit the car. I'll stay with him, she quickly decided. It seems safe. But I'll still be cautious.

She pocketed the bear spray he'd left behind just in case she needed it later, then quickly typed messages in reply to those who had contacted her. "I ran out of gas and need help," she told Moira, Keith, and Stephanie. She hoped one or more of them would answer her. "A strange man picked me up on the road. I'm not sure if he's a bad guy. His name is Wouter Staal, he claims to be former Dutch Special Forces currently working for Backlash Security and the English entertainment mogul Doug Ramsay. We're stopped at a gas station in Zephyr Cove, Nevada. He's using the restroom. Should I call 911?"

Maybe I should, she thought as she searched for tow truck companies again. No, wait, I have no proof Wouter is a bad guy. He hasn't abducted me, I was in need of help and I accepted it from him. I could easily exit his car now and walk away, he acknowledged that and seemed okay with it if I did. The police wouldn't like it if I bothered them unnecessarily. But can I really trust Wouter?

Trust him, she thought. You do want to enjoy yourself with him if he's a good guy, right?

Moira texted her back while she was looking at web reviews for tow companies, deciding whether to try again with the people who had put her on hold back in the woods or call someone different. "Wow, Faith!" her girlfriend said. "Are you sure he's okay? Is he twisted? Ugly?"

"Doesn't seem twisted," she typed. "And he's good-looking. He hit on me, yeah, but he also said he'd help me without expecting a reward and I believe him. He hasn't acted like an asshole so far. I wouldn't mind dating him if you gave me a hall pass for the weekend."

"Ha ha," came the quick reply. "Wait, is he really cute? And you're safe?"