The Perfect Crime Pt. 05: Atonement

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I studied this wonderful, intelligent woman for a moment, and finally said "My motives are not entirely altruistic."

"I thought so" she said. "Take it slow, James, and don't push it. If anything is going to happen, it will. But do not hurt this young woman. Got me??"

"Giselle, What would I do without you? Keep this between us, O.K.?"

"Do you really think no one else notices? I feel confident that everyone else is pulling for you. But in varying degrees. Don't let any of us down."

I leaned down and kissed her-on the lips. "Don't tell anyone else, but I think I'm madly in love with you." I grinned at her, and turned to go talk to Jeremy. I stopped, and turned, walking back to Giselle. "Ask Jillian to get a cheek swab from the baby; we're gonna need a DNA test."

"Sure, James."

As I walked away, she was thinking 'God, it's up to you. Please help him. He's a good man.'

I walked into my office, and found Jeremy waiting for me.

"Well, Jer, what do you think?"

"I think she would be a good fit, boss. She's sharp, but a little gun-shy. I can understand why, given her back ground, but I think she'll come around. Everyone seems to like her. I really think she'll thrive with our support. That's my opinion, and I know you pretty much let me run my own shop, but I would defer to you on this."

"Good; let's make her an offer, and see what she thinks." I buzzed Giselle's office, and got one of the sharks.

"Yes, sir." she answered.

"Misty, isn't it?"

"Yes, sir?"

"Misty, ask Jillian to see me when she's done with you guys. And treat her nice. She's gonna be working here, I'm pretty sure."

"YES SIR, Mr. Tremaine."

I chuckled. Things were looking up.

I place a phone call to Samuel Lodge; picked up on the second ring.

"Raptor Petroleum, Mr. Lodge's office, Nadine speaking, can I help you?"

"We have to stop meeting like this, Nadine. This is James Tremaine, can I speak to the Boss?"

"Oh, Mr. Tremaine, you're so sweet. Hold one second."

2 seconds later, Sam picked up. "James, how's it going"

"Not too shabby, sir. How'd that talk with your law department go?"

"They don't see a problem. Probably works out good for us tax-wise. When can we go talk about it?"

"Can you have the G-3 up and running on Wednesday, for a flight to Biloxi, about 10:30a.m.?"

"I'll call the boys at the big airport right after I get off the phone with you. It's a go, 'cause it's my airplane."

"Great!! I'll see you there. Bring whatever you think you need to make a deal, 'cause I don't want to leave without one. Oh, do you think we could bring an extra person back? There will be me, and 4 bodies going, and hopefully me and 5 coming back."

"No problem. We might have to stick you in the baggage compartment, but we'll get it done."

"Great, see you then."

Just then, there was a timid knock on my door. "Come!" I said. Jillian came in, and hesitantly walked to my desk. "Sit down, Jillian. Would you like some coffee, tea, or something else?"

"Some tea would be nice, Mr. Tremaine."

I buzzed Janine. "Janine, can you get Jillian a cup of hot tea, me a coffee, and something for yourself, and join us, please?"

"Sure thing, boss."

"Now, Jillian, I would like to offer you a job. You would be a junior forensic accountant, working in Jeremy's shop, Wills and Estates, for Jeremy Trilby. You report to him; unless there is some sort of catastrophe, you will work Monday through Friday, 8:30 to 5:30, 1 hour for lunch. The starting salary will be $40,000 per year." I reached into my suit jacket, and got the brochure from the condo. "There is a 3 bedroom, 2500 sq. ft., attached, secure garage. Pool, gym, sauna, gated. $1700 a month. It's on hold for you, and you will be the only one with keys. No strings."

"Why are you being so nice to me?" she asked.

"I told you, you need a helping hand. You're qualified, and we like you. Besides," and I looked deep into her eyes "It's what guardian angels do. Also, you can use my former wife's BMW till you get some wheels, and I'll have some people help you with that."

She started to cry, and I reached out, and wiped her cheeks. "Now, I'm going to call a friend, and see about getting your stuff moved to that condo. ...If you would like me to."

She sniffled, and her face lit up. "I think I would love it." She said.

I called Hernando's, and got Michael. "Mike, what are you and your brother doing tomorrow?"

"Nothing much, Mr. Tremaine. What do you need?"

"Those boxes in that Dodge Mini-van, I need them taken to this address. And tell your dad that he can part out that van; It's all his."

"Will do, Mr. Tremaine. What time?"

"About 1:00 p.m. would be good."

"See you then., sir."

I buzzed Janine, and she came in. "Janine, I need you to take Miss Ravenaux out to Walmart, and get whatever she needs to set up house in her condo. Is Neal back yet?"

"Yes, sir, he got what you sent him for, and says he will have them installed in about 10 minutes."

"Good, get my credit card from him, and find Pepper for me." Several minutes later, Pepper and Sonia blew into my office.

"Hi, Mr. Main" said little Sonia, giggling.

"Well, hello to you too." I said.

"Your Mom is going to take you and Janine ... err, I mean Storm, to see your new house. Then you are going shopping. Storm will help you get it set up."

I handed the keys to Jillian. "When you get to the condos, see Mr. Lane, the manager, and tell him I sent you. He'll have your keys, and probably some papers to sign. Now scoot, you've got a lot to do." I got that smile again, and my heart started to fibrillate. 'This could be dangerous,' I thought. I called Neal, on his cell, and said "I need a ride to my house, to get my Bronco."

"Let's go, boss." I met him in the parking lot, and 25 minutes later, I was on my way to police headquarters. I pulled in, and went through the lobby, telling the desk sergeant I needed to see Sergeant Kinkaid. He buzzed him, gave me a visitor's badge, and told me to wait.

I sat in a plastic chair, and five minutes later, Terry came out of the elevator. He shook my hand, and we went to the 4th floor.

"What can I do for you, Counselor?" he asked.

I took a seat at his desk, and looked at him. I said "How is the case going?"

He looked at me with that cop's look, thought a moment, and then said "Why do I get the feeling there is something you're not telling me?"

"I don't know what you mean, Sergeant."

He frowned a little, then said "Neither do I." He pulled a file folder over, and said "It appears your wife, and her 'friend' were embezzling to the tune of $23,000,000.

"The money, however, has disappeared. Not only have the accounts been emptied, but there is no trail. Our computer guys are crawling all over it, but it appears they were emptied just before she left for the club Friday night. We suspect a third person, possibly the killer; but the guy we caught on cameras doesn't look like her type.

He stared at me again. "Any ideas, Counselor?"

"Not a clue, Sergeant."

"Usually this is where Walsh and I bring the husband in, sweat him, and break out the thumbscrews, and water board."

"Then this is where I would lawyer up. Oh, wait, I am a lawyer."

He smiled, and said "But you don't look like the guy; your alibi is normal, what would be expected given the circumstances, and you seem to be co-operating. Plus you were going to have her served on Monday. Your finances haven't changed ..."

"That's one of the reasons I'm here" I said.

"I found her papers, and there are a lot of things she was doing. She appears to have died intestate, and her estate seems to be about $60,000,000 to $65,000,000. Some of it is in real estate holdings, so the value is fungible. But that, conservatively, is what she left. My people told me it is all legal, and above board; may be some of it is a little sleazy, but it is all legal, and taxes have been paid. There is no trail to the stolen money; it is all hers."

"That's one of the things the Feds will be interested in," he said.

"The other thing I need to tell you is I'm going to Biloxi, Miss. on Wednesday, on business, and back the same day."

"That shouldn't be a problem," he said.

"Well, that's all I wanted to clear up."

He looked at me again. "Don't do anything else stupid, o.k.?" he said.

"Cross my heart, and hope to die, Sergeant."

I got in the Bronco, and went back to work. When I pulled into the parking lot, I saw Janine and Jillian were back. I went in, and up to the 3rd floor. I got coffee, and went to my office. There were the dynamic duo, Janine, and Jillian. I asked Janine for her husband's phone number, and put it in my cell. Then I asked how everything went.

"We got her situated; we managed to pick up most of what she needs."

"I really want to thank you, Mr. Tremaine." She looked at me. "I don't know what I would have done without you. I was at my wits end."

'It's o.k.; I like to think we're family here." Janine grinned, and Jillian smiled- again .

"O.K., boss, here's your credit card back."

"Thank you," I said. "Jillian, would you like to meet for breakfast tomorrow morning?"

"Where?" she asked.

"Oh, I don't know, how about Waffle House?"

"Sure, what time?"

"Around 10:30 o.k.?" I said. "I asked some friends to bring your stuff over about 1:00, so that will give us enough time."

"Sure, we'll be there."

"Great, we can talk about everything else afterwards."

"I really do appreciate this, sir." Ooh, now I really feel old. Maybe I was reading too much into her reaction to everything. I hoped not. I was starting to have real feelings for this woman.

She wasn't drop dead gorgeous like Sonia had been; she was pretty. Very pretty. I could handle pretty. I hadn't done very well with drop dead gorgeous. I was more concerned with her character, and so far her character had seemed to be pretty dam good. Only time would tell, I guess. I asked if she needed anything else. She said no, she thought she was good for a while. I told her good, go and pick up your daughter, and go home and relax. She stood up, hesitated, and looked at me.

"Thank you again, boss." O.K., time had possibly just sped up.

"You're welcome, Mrs. Carsten." She smiled again, and turned and left.

"Well," Janine said with a wicked little grin on her face, "that went pretty well."

"I don't know what you're talking about, Mrs. La Pierre."

She giggled, and said "I got grilled about you really intensely while we were shopping."

'Hmm, two women shopping, AND talking about me. That can't be good.'

She skewered me with a stare, and continued.

"She knows all the dirty little secrets that I know. She knows about what your wife put you through, she knows how she died, and she knows how you've handled it. Hell, she even knows about this obscene fascination you have with the New York Giants."

"Great, I don't stand a chance now."

She giggled again, and said "What sort of chance did you want, Jim?" Jim?? Wow, things were really escalating.

"Janine, keep this between you, and me. I'm not sure what I want from this woman, but I definitely think it's more than Employer-employee, or even good friends."

Her eyes softened, and she said "I think you're doing fine...boss. She asked the kind of questions a woman with a child would like to know. She handled everything with the attitude of a woman who is definitely interested romantically. Just let it run its course and don't try to get her into bed immediately. But don't be afraid to take the chance when you see it."

"What would I do without you?" I asked.

"Probably drown. She knows you don't swim very well, also."

I laughed and shooed her out of my office. I got up, and closed the door. I went back to my desk, sat, and picked up my desk phone. I dialed Joe La Pierre's number, and managed to get him at his desk.

"Sergeant La Pierre, Willis barracks, how can I help you?"

"Sergeant, it's James Tremaine. Can I talk to you for a few minutes?"

"Hey, Jim, how's that cute little executive assistant of yours doing?"

I grinned, and said "She's doing fine, but I would be careful, if I were you. I heard she has a very jealous husband."

"So I hear. What can I do for you, sir?"

"I need some info. Do you have any pull with the Mississippi State Police?"

"Yes, I know a couple of guys over there that I could get a favor out of, but it will probably cost me some bar-b-que" he chuckled. "What exactly do you need?"

"What we have is a pending divorce case, with some possibly reluctant persons over there. The local police seem to be under undue influence from the family involved."

"I hate when that happens. Let me know when you get some specifics, and I'll reach out, see if we can get some help on the ground."

"I hope it won't come to that, but I would like to have that in my back pocket, just in case."

"It may be you won't need more than just their presence. That will probably get me off with just some ribs in payment."

"Thanks, Joe. I owe you one."

"Just don't work you know who too hard" he said. I chuckled, and hung up.

I thought for a few minutes, and figured I had done all the damage I could do today. I left for home, and dinner. I figured Jersey Mikes would be good, so I swung by and grabbed a #10, loaded, and a 1 liter coke. I went home, and spooled up 'DEAD POOL' on HBO. It was a good day.

Saturday dawned (literally) crisp and clear. I showered, and talked to little Jim for a minute. I was sleeping better lately, but I was almost over the night with Barbara, and I think I might need some more consolation. I made coffee, and sat on the couch to catch the news. The police still had no official leads in the sex ring murder case. Local attorney James Tremaine (hey, that's me!!) was co-operating in his wife's death, but had nothing to offer. The police, and the FBI were questioning one Marcus Blaine about a purported romantic involvement with Sonia Tremaine, and some reported irregularities at his job, a major investment company downtown. Beautiful!! I thought.

"In sports, the New York Giants announced a contract extension with head coach Tom Coughlin." I hope they know what they are doing, I thought. ...

I hope I know what I'm doing.

I cleaned up my coffee mess, loaded the dish washer, and went to the garage. I opened the garage door, fired up the Bronco, and me and the big horse started for Waffle House. I pulled into the parking lot, and went inside.

"Hi, hero. Coffee's ready, and breakfast is coming."

"Good morning, Ginger. How're things?"

"Great; how about you? How's the guardian angel gig going?"

I looked at her, and grinned.

"I'm not sure; I'm not used to being a guardian angel."

"I think you'll make a good one. Oh, by the way, thanks for the baby seat. Now Grandpa and I just have to buy one for our car" she grinned.

"I think if I call Terry Grandpa, he'll shoot me. I'm not sure he doesn't think I had something to do with Sonia's death. By the way, did you know the little girl's name was Sonia?"

She frowned."Yes, but I hadn't anticipated your reaction. I explained it to Jillian, and she was a little shocked."

"That's all right; she and Janine went shopping, and I was the prime topic of conversation. I think she knows more about me than I do."

With that, my Beemer pulled up in the parking lot; my two girls got out, giggling, and laughing, and started to the restaurant. My girls?? Wow, this roller coaster ride was really picking up speed quickly.

They came in, and walked up to the counter.

"Hi, Ginger," said Jillian. She walked over to me, and kissed me on the cheek.

"Morning, boss."

"Sexual harassment" I said. "Did you see that Ginger?" I said with mock horror.

She shook her head. "Didn't see a thing. What happened?"

Jillian said "Wow, you really can't tell a joke to save your life." And the giggling started all over again. In my opinion, a woman is never more attractive and sexy than when she giggles. They found a seat at one of the tables by the window, and I brought my breakfast over to them.

"There goes my tip" called out Ginger with a grin.

We took our seats, and little Sonia looked up at me, and said "Mommy said you got us a house to live in."

"Naw, I just found someplace that needed a little girl to brighten it up. Do you think it worked?"

"I went and turned on all the lights when we got there. I hope it helped."

"I'm sure it did."

Jillian looked at me with a neutral expression, and Sonia had a small grin.

"Are you going to have breakfast with us, like a daddy does?"

Well, now I have coffee all over my shirt. Jillian turned almost white with embarrassment.

"Sonia, that's not nice."

I blushed. "Out of the mouths of babes."

"But Mommy, you asked Storm if she thought Mr. Main would make a good daddy." Jillian went from ash white to blood red.

"I'm so embarrassed, Mr. Tremaine."

"It's o.k., Jillian. I talked to Janine, and she said while you guys were shopping, she filled you in on what a turkey I am."

"Oh, no, far from it. She had nothing but good things to say about you" Jillian said while moving her breakfast around on the plate. "I just didn't understand why someone of your status would be concerned about me, and my circumstances."

"I already told you; you appeared to be in the same lousy set of circumstances as me."

"That's not good enough" she said with her eyes downcast. "I get the feeling you want more from me."

"Look, you are an attractive young lady. You are pretty; very pretty. But my wife was drop dead gorgeous. I've been with drop dead gorgeous. It's over rated. But you..." I hesitated. "You are good inside; you've been through an awful lot, and you still have the aura about you. You love your daughter, almost to the exclusion of everything else. Ginger told me how you always made sure that Sonia had enough to eat, was always dressed warm, was always clean, and safe. You are a wonderful mother, and a very good, and strong person." I thought for several seconds as I sipped my coffee. "I want to share something with you. I'm not looking for sympathy, or making any excuses for anything.

"Before my wife and I got married, she went to Florida to see her parents because her father was 'very sick.' At least that's what she told me. Actually, she stayed with a friend, and had a tubal ligation operation."

She gasped, and shook.

"She was gone for almost a month, and when she got back, she told me her period was here, so we couldn't be intimate. For almost 5 weeks, we abstained from sex, so she had time to heal up from her surgery.

"But she screwed everyone she saw EXCEPT me. She just couldn't let me see the small scar. She did it because, in her own words, 'She didn't want to be bothered with having children.' She never told me, and we tried for about 10 years of our married life to start a family. She went to the doctor, got false reports showing she was fine, and suggested it was my fault. I got checked, and everything was fine. We had two different doctors; how do you think she got her doctor to falsify the report?? SEX.

"Her doctor was a female. Her gynecologist was a lesbian, and Sonia just told her she realized she was not in love with me, and was going to divorce me, but needed time to get her financial house in order. She took a weekend away with her doctor at a spa resort, and viola, she got her falsified report."

"How do you know this?" Jillian said with her eyes wide.

"I found her journal after her death. This, and all sorts of other shit was documented in her own hand. So, as Ginger will tell you, I am a world class sap, the most gullible guy on earth."

She got a look of horror on her face for several minutes, as I wallowed in my own misery.

'And then' I thought to myself, 'I killed her.'