Ten Long Years

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Still, our marriage was good. I was totally blind-sided when I stopped in at home to pick up some tools and caught her in bed with Derrick. They were going at it so hot and heavy, they didn't even notice I was in the room.

That's when I exploded and attacked him. As I said earlier, I'm not a violent man, but in that instant, I just lost my shit. I pounded him hard, with Skye screaming loudly. "Stop it, Rory." She screamed so loud that neighbours rushed in and separated us. Today, I'm glad they did. Because, I don't think I could have stopped.

*****

A long and restless night followed, and when I woke in the morning, I still felt like shit. There was a small cafe in town, and I walked in to get breakfast. Amazingly, I still didn't recognise anybody. The young girls at the cafe, nope. I sat outside on the pavement eating and watching people walk by. A couple of faces brought memories. After breakfast, I wandered around town.

Not much had changed in town, either; most of the shops I remembered were still there. The newsagent changed that. I wanted a newspaper, but what I got was. "Oh my god, Rory Williams. Is that you?"

Smiling at me from over the counter was Gillian Waters. "Hey Gill, long time no see."

She rushed out from behind the counter to give me a hug. "Darlin, I'm so sorry about your dad. It was such a shock when he passed."

"Yeah, it was sudden all right."

"How long are you in town for?"

I shrugged. "Not sure, the funeral's on Thursday, so probably Saturday."

"Are you staying with your mum?"

"Nah, up the road at the motel."

"You still fighting then?"

"Yeah, sort of. It's not what I wanted, but... It is what it is."

She frowned. "Have you caught up with Skye? That little boy of hers is a cutie, ain't he."

"Yeah, I saw her at Mum's place last night."

She gave me a funny sort of look, her finger curled around her long red hair. "You know, if you wanted, we could have dinner tonight. I got nothing planned. It would be nice to catch up."

"Are you trying to seduce me, Gillian?"

She smiled coyly. "Maybe."

"Yeah, all right. What say I pick you up at seven and we go out for dinner? I take it I'm not going to have to watch out for angry husbands or boyfriends?"

She giggled. "Nope, I'm divorced and single."

"Oh sorry to hear that, Gillian."

She waved her hand as if wiping away bad juju. "Don't be, he was a pig."

I walked out with my newspaper and a date. Not a bad effort. I went back to the motel to read the paper.

Sitting there, I watched a small Toyota driving back and forth and then pull into the car park. Lila climbed out and walked to reception. Five minutes later, there was a knock on the door.

"Hey, Lil, what can I do for you?"

"Can I come in, Rory?"

I stepped back and she walked in. We sat at the tiny table by the window. "I want to talk about the service, and the funeral."

"Yeah, I'm listening."

"After you stormed off last night, we talked, and we want you to be part of it. We don't want to cut you out."

I nodded. "Thanks, Lil, I appreciate that."

"Rory, I'm sorry for what happened between you and Skye, but you have to let go. Skye has remained a big part of our family. Dad really loved her, and he adored little Dylan. We want you to come back to the house. It is your home. We don't want you staying here."

"Sorry, Lil, I would love nothing more than to stay at home. I did come here with the hope that we might all be able to find a way to heal the wounds of the past. I can't do that if Skye's going to be hanging around."

I could see the tension in her face as she grimaced. "Rory, it's been ten years. Surely after all this time you could let it go. God, it's a long time to hold a grudge."

"I don't get it. I never did. She cheated on me, she had sex with my best friend, in our home, and you guys just expected me to forgive and forget. I just don't get it."

"Rory, we know what happened, and we never condoned it. We just knew how much she loved you, and you her. We all thought if you could find a way to forgive her, it would be the best thing."

"But I couldn't, and I expected my family to stand beside me, not the slutty skank who fucked me over."

I struggled to stay calm. "Why couldn't you see my side?" All the emotional turmoil that lay buried under the ground had floated to the top, and it was hard to quell the rushing tide of tears.

"Rory, we were on your side, we all wanted what was best for you. She made a mistake, a stupid selfish dumb mistake. She let that dick chat her up. He was always a sleazy bastard. You were the only one who didn't see it."

"Maybe so, but it takes two to tango, Lil. She was as much to blame."

"Yes, agreed, we never tried to deny that. She stuffed up big time, we all accept that. We want you to come and stay at home. Please. This is a time for family. We want you there, and I know Dad would want you there, as well."

"Yeah, all right, I'll stay, but only on the grounds Skye stays away. I don't want her at the house."

"Rory, that's going to be hard. Mum baby sits Dylan while Skye works, she's going to be there, and she will be at the funeral."

"Then I guess I'll stay here, at least there will be no fights if I stay here, but I do want to be a pallbearer though."

"Yes, of course. We all want that, too."

She drove off leaving me anxious and unnerved. Skye obviously had a partner, or husband. I wondered who it was?

It was less than an hour later when Mum called. "Rory, would you like to come to dinner tonight?"

"Depends, Mum. Who's going to be there?"

"Just the family."

"So, no Skye?"

"It was Skye's suggestion. She is going to come in early to pick up Dylan and leave straight away. She will only be here for ten minutes at best."

"Yeah, all right Mum, what time does Skye pick up her son?"

"Usually about five-thirty, or six."

"Then I will be over about six-fifteen."

"Rory, surely you can be nice for a few minutes? It wouldn't kill you would it?"

"I prefer not to put myself in the situation. If we don't see each other then there's no problem."

"Rory, come over this afternoon; we are going to talk about the service, and we would like your input."

Walking in the front door, I was again hit by the emotions.

As I walked into the dining room. Lila jumped up and we shared a hug. She gripped me so tightly. Mum followed suit, but Sloane stayed in her chair.

We went through the service and Mum asked me if I wanted to speak.

Thinking quickly, I replied. "Yeah, I would, actually. Who is giving the eulogy?"

"Lila and me," Sloane snapped quickly.

"Then I would like to speak after that."

We went over the details a little more. Mum jumped up and said. "Excuse me, I have to go and get Dylan from school."

The tension in the room was palpable after mum left. The silence became untenable until Sloane hissed, "Why are you being such a dick about Skye? She always has dinner with Mum."

"I'm not, I just don't want to be around when she's here, that's all."

"Shit, Rory, her and Mum are bloody close. You're making Mum choose between you."

"Yeah, well that's something that should have happened when she found out the slut cheated on me. She should have chosen right there and then."

"Oh, for gods sake. We were all trying to do the best thing. Trying to keep you together."

"I didn't want to be with her. I wanted my family to choose to stand beside me, not her."

"Jesus, you can be a child. We all felt she did the wrong thing, but we listened to her and we heard what she said. She wanted to apologise to you. She was trying to explain, but you wouldn't talk to her. Shit, Rory, she was broken, she bloody loved you."

"No she didn't; if she did she wouldn't have been fucking dick head Derrick. People who love each other don't spread their legs for others."

"She made a mistake, Rory. You're not exactly a saint. You made lots of mistakes when you were younger."

"That may be so, but I never cheated."

The argument grew quickly and was only silenced when Mum walked in with Dylan at her side. He rushed in for hugs with Lila and Sloane. He was reluctant to even speak to me. He looked scared of me.

At least Mum's arrival put a stop to the argument.

I got a memory flash. "Oh shit, sorry Mum. I can't stay for dinner. I forgot. I have a date tonight."

She gave me a strange look. "Who with?"

"Gillian Waters. Sorry, I've got to run. I need a shower."

"Oh my god. You are not going out with her, are you?" Sloane blustered.

"Yeah, why not?"

"You complain about other people being slutty. Christ, Rory, she's slept with half the men in this town. Including your mate Derrick."

That surprised me, and it did make me think twice. "Sorry, I have already confirmed with her."

"Make sure you wear at least two rubbers as protection," Sloane spat out angrily.

"Sloane!" Mum snarled. "There's no need to talk like that."

She winced. "Sorry, Mum."

I rushed off with a kiss from Mum and Lila.

Gillian turned out to be good fun. We went to the local, and I recognised a few of the people milling around the bar. Gillian knew everybody, it seemed.

We got our drinks and found a quiet corner. We chatted away and she was a real comedienne. We had lots of laughs. We moved into the restaurant for dinner, and then back to my motel. The sex was hot, she certainly enjoyed herself and I wasn't complaining. It had been a while for me.

The next day I drove back over to Mum's, and we had a chance to talk because the girls were doing other things. We talked about what I was doing, where I lived, was I seeing anybody. It was finally a chance to talk without anger.

Sloane and Lila walked in about lunch time. Sloane laughed when she saw me. "You survived Gillian then?"

"I don't know what you're going on about. She's lovely. We had a great night."

"Did you wear two rubbers like I warned?"

Lila laughed, and even Mum gave a little titter.

"I used the whole packet actually, just one at a time though," I threw back casually.

"Dirty bugger." Lila laughed.

We had lunch and finalised the remaining details for the funeral. I had been putting off seeing Dad, but I thought the time was right. "I'm going over to the funeral home to see Dad, if anybody wants to come?"

They all agreed. Walking in was sombre; guess there's no such thing as a happy fun funeral home.

The casket lay with the lid open. We approached and gathered around the coffin. He looked peaceful. I reached into my satchel and pulled out a greenstone fishhook necklace that I had carved.

I reached in and placed it on his chest. Mum glanced sideways at me. "What's that?"

"Just something I made for him. I made it years ago, but never found the right time to send. I wanted him to have it."

Sloane reached in and lifted it up. "My god, it's beautiful, Rory. Wow, you really made this?"

I nodded my confirmation. "Yeah, it's my hobby."

Mum reached for it, running her fingers over the highly polished stone. "Rory, it's beautiful. He would love it."

Instead of placing it back on his chest she said. "Sloane, hold your father's head up for me."

As Sloane lifted his head, mum slipped the necklace over and let it rest around his neck.

We all shared a group hug, and kisses rained.

On the drive back we talked about Dad. He hadn't been sick. He died of an aneurysm, it came out of the blue, but at least he didn't suffer.

On the way back to the house, Mum said, "Can you stop off at the school? I'm supposed to pick up Dylan."

As Mum walked in to get him, I asked the girls, "How come Mum has to get him? What's wrong with Skye's mother?"

"She's fucking hopeless, that's what's wrong with her. Fuck, Rory, you know what she was like. She makes Gillian Waters look like an angel."

Lila giggled. "If Gillian has slept with half the men, then Skye's mum has slept with the other half."

"Wow, maybe I should give her a ride. She used to be pretty good looking."

"Don't you fucking even think about it," Sloane snarled. "Christ, Rory, Skye would die if you did that."

"Good to know." I chuckled knowingly.

Lila gave me a sharp slap around the side of the head. "Dip stick," she growled.

Mum returned with Dylan and we headed back home. He sat in the back with the girls and they all started chattering about school and what he was up to, both girls teasing him about some girl he liked.

He seemed a happy kid, and Mum and the girls obviously thought the world of him. While the girls had him talking, I asked Mum, "Who's his dad?"

She shot me a funny look, and mumbled, "You'll need to ask Skye for the answer to that."

I shrugged nonchalantly. "Not that interested, I was just wondering who she hooked up with."

Mums reply was scathing. "She hasn't 'hooked up' with anybody, as you put it."

"Wow, an immaculate conception. Clever girl. Give the Vatican a call."

"When did you become so callous and uncaring, Rory? You used to be such a loving caring person."

"My ex and my family worked me over, and left me with trust issues."

When we got back home, Mum asked, "Are you staying for dinner?"

"Yeah all right, so long as it's just us."

Dylan went straight outside to play. I watched out the dining room window. He seemed to be in his own little world, just kicking the football at the shed wall.

"Doesn't he have any mates to play with?" I asked.

Mum came and sat beside me as she watched out the window, as well. "Dylan has some issues. He is very shy and withdrawn, a real introvert."

"What about his father?"

"He doesn't know his father."

"Did a runner, huh? I can understand that. She probably screwed him over as well."

"Stop it right now, Rory. I am so glad you are here, but I will not put up with you taking continual potshots at that poor girl. She has suffered enough."

"Suffered, bullshit. She wouldn't even know what the word means."

It was Sloane who walked in, and snapped, "You moron, she suffered all right. After you walked out on her, she had a mental breakdown."

That was news to me, although I never did stay in touch once I left. I shrugged, muttering. "No more than she deserved."

"Oh, you cold hearted bastard. I can't believe we are even related. She tried to kill herself, you fucking prick. If Lila and I hadn't found her she would have bled to death."

She started crying, and Mum pulled her into a comforting cuddle. I didn't know how to respond, I was speechless. As they cuddled, I stood up and walked outside to get some air. "Holy shit, she tried to kill herself." I tried to get my head around it. I knew she was upset, but I figured that was just because I caught her in the act and she was ashamed.

I plonked myself down on the steps and watched Dylan. The kid obviously struggled with people. I stood up and walked over to him and asked if I could play. It started slowly, just kicking the football back and forth, then I gave him a few pointers, then we were playing keepsies as he tried to get the ball off me. Then, when I let him take the ball, I pretended to not be able to get it off him.

He laughed and yelped as we fought for the ball.

It was Mum who called out, "Dinner is ready."

As we got inside, Mum said, "Dylan, Mum's running late. You're having dinner with us."

Dinner was amazing, like old times. Lila, Sloane and I, throwing banter back and forth. Mike and Hank joined in and it was pretty good fun, Mum playing referee when it got a bit too much.

We were almost finished when Skye walked in. She babbled, "Sorry, Mum, god what a day. Oh god, I thought it would never end."

Dylan called out, "Hey, Mum." He was sitting beside me, and didn't seem to interested in moving.

"Oh, don't I get a hug?" she scoffed. He just shook his head. As she glanced at him, our eyes met and for a second I thought she was going to cry.

Mum jumped up, and said, "Sit down, there's enough for you as well."

She appeared caught out. "Umm, no, I better go. I have stuff to do at home."

I stood up. "Here, have my seat. I'm finished. I was just about to leave."

She hesitated, glanced at Sloane and Lila. Her face twitched. "You don't have to run off, Rory. Dylan and I are going."

"Nonsense, you're staying." Mum said.

I walked away from the table. "See you in the morning, Mum." I was just getting in the car when Mum caught me. "Rory, you don't have to leave."

"Yes, I do. It's best that way. She's moved on, I've moved on. If I'm lucky, Gillian might be free for the night."

Mum scowled. "Don't do that son. She's not a nice girl."

"Why? Because she has sex with guys? God, Mum, talk about hypocrisy."

"Well, just be careful."

I drove back to the motel and gave Gillian a call. She was free and we ended up back at the pub for dinner. Again, it was a really good night. We had some drinks and laughs, played some pool and had some more drinks. As we waited for a turn on the table I asked. "Gillian, how much do you know about my ex, Skye?"

She chewed over her response for a few minutes. She answered hesitantly. "I know she spent some time in an institution, after her failed attempt at suicide."

"How did she do it?"

"Slit wrists, your sisters found her."

As a guy signalled us that it was our game, I asked, "Who's the father of her son?"

She shrugged. "I don't know. She didn't go with anybody I know. She was pretty fucked up after she got back."

"So she doesn't live with anybody?"

"Na, she's a loner, that girl. I think you spoiled her."

"Me?"

"I haven't seen her with anyone. I mean she obviously hooked up with somebody, but she doesn't hang with any guys."

The sex was explosive again and the night was filled with passion. Very lustful. She was a sexual dynamo.

With the funeral scheduled for eleven, it was a bit of a rush.

I drove straight to Mum's, and there was already a crowd gathering. All the family was there, oh, and Skye and Dylan. When Dylan saw me, he ran full tilt into me, and demanded a hug. It wasn't his fault. I tried to ignore the fact he was Sky's son. We had a hug and he walked beside me over to the group. Hank and Mike both welcomed me in. Lila and Sloane gave me long hugs and Mum mostly fell into my open arms.

"It's going to be all right, Mum. We are all here for you."

She nestled into my shoulder and her body shuddered as she sobbed.

Sloane and Lila joined our hug; it was a poignant moment.

Dylan stood by my side, and Mum asked, "Pick him up for me, son."

I reached down and Mum hugged him, she hugged us both. "I love you, Nana," Dylan cried.

"I love you too sweetheart," she replied.

I caught Skye staring at us, small tears streaming down her cheeks.

The funeral went smoothly. It was big because Dad was a very well respected member of the local community. Lila and Sloane were going to read the eulogy together, but it was obvious they weren't going to get through it. They leaned on each other, arms wrapped around the other. As they stumbled and stuttered, Mum gave me a shove, and through the tears sniffled. "Go and help them, please."

I walked up behind them and they both embraced me. With their arms around my shoulders, I stood between them and read out the eulogy.

It's not like I was much better, but together we got through it. They were going to walk off, at the end, but I asked them to stay while I read out my piece. The truth is, I needed their support or I wouldn't have got through it.

Back at the house, after the guests had emptied, we found ourselves listening to my father's favourite songs playing, and endless photo's. As we went through the photos I was stunned at how many there were of Dad and Dylan, sometimes with Skye. It was quickly becoming apparent how close Dad and Dylan were.

I couldn't help taking sneaky peaks at Skye's wrists, and yes, the scars were visible.

At one point I ended up in a tight huddle with Hank and Mike, and with the senses well lubricated, we talked all sorts of more personal things. I gave them some dirt on my sisters and that drew some pretty big laughs. While we talked I asked the question I wanted answered: "Who is Dylan's father?"