If Only

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He couldn't look at me now. Just stared ahead.

"Is Julie still at yours then?"

"No son, that's what I was building up to. She's in prison. On remand."

Just when I thought I'd had all my shocking surprises, here was one more. When she realised finally that Jerry had lied to her. Manipulated her. Seduced her with his lies. Realised that she'd lost you. She stabbed him."

"She killed him."

"No, he's survived. He wasn't long out of hospital after that tangle with her mother. Weak as he was, he survived. She did it with intent son. She took that knife to hurt him. Attempted murder they're saying. She could be looking at 20 years, son."

My father- in-law broke down in tears at that point. Julie had certainly had some tears shed over her.

I did go and see her once early on, before her trial. Just to say goodbye really. I'd wanted to know why and I already knew that. I just couldn't understand how she could believe that of me. Why would she trust the word of that sleaze rather than her own husband?

Once she'd stopped sobbing, she told me basically the same as her father told me. The whole sorry tale was punctuated with 'sorry' and 'how much she loved me'. It was all a bit late for that now, wasn't it?

One thing I did learn, which Julie seemed to think was important was that it was the first and only time that she had slept with him. That she'd given in. She admitted that she'd done it out of spite. In our bed, to punish me. Jerry had said that was the best revenge that I was only taking her to the hotel out of guilt. That night she had planned to tell me that she knew all about my affair with Claire and about her revenge with Jerry."

"Were you planning me to tell me how much you enjoyed it, too? According to your mother you were really getting into it."

"It wasn't like that, really. Even at the last minute, I nearly didn't go through with it. I knew it would make me as bad as I thought you were, but Jerry had got under my skin by then. I still had this little voice of doubt in my head though."

"Oh Julie," I said as I stood to leave "If only you had listened to that doubt. If only."

"Good God, Dad" said Natalie after hearing the briefer version of the story, "How long did she get?"

"Well she served 15 years. It should have been longer really as she'd planned it, you see? Taken the knife to do the job. She behaved herself you see in prison and got out early. You were 8 by then and Mum and I had already been married 12 years. I'd moved on so well with your Mum's love and support. I'd been so mortified by the trial and publicity. I was completely humiliated. Everyone knew and seemed to be talking about it, talking about us, talking about me."

I paused and smiled reassuringly at my daughter.

"I really should go and thank Julie, you know. Although I was devastated at the time. If Julie hadn't done what she'd done, I would never have met your Mum. Never had all that happiness. More importantly, there would never have been you and little Noah here. I've a lot to thank her for."

When I looked over, Julie was long gone. Even the edited version I told Natalie was a long story to tell, I suppose.

Just after the trial my Nan had died and I used the money she left me to move away and start again. That's when I met my lovely Jane. I really should be sharing the story of her. All these words are wasted on Julie, I should be writing about Jane she would be worth every word.

Natalie looked over at me.

"Don't be mad Dad, I hate what she did to you and how much she hurt you, but I do feel a bit sorry for Julie. She lost you. That would be a big loss for anyone. She was manipulated, groomed really by that horrible man and she was little more than a kid."

"I know what you're saying Nat, I really do. You're looking at it through the eyes of today's world. We are talking thirty years ago. Predator's got away with things. Trust me. Unfortunately, the sympathy of the courts did not extend to seeing her as a victim.

The truth is as young as she was, she wasn't a child and she was a married woman with a husband who loved her. Only her. As a broken hearted young man, I didn't have a lot of sympathy for her, either. She had crushed me. I wanted her punished, I wanted her to hurt. Despite that, even I thought that she was treated harshly, but she was guilty.

She may have been a victim of Jerry's manipulation but she made him her victim when she went after him. Two wrongs really don't make a right and that is the whole point of the story really. If she had truly thought I was being unfaithful to her, why would she think that doing the same was going to help in any way? She didn't trust me and that was the important thing. She didn't believe in my love for her. As young as we were, she should have trusted that."

"What happened to Jerry? Apart from a few injuries, he seemed to get away with it all. That doesn't seem right."

"He didn't get away with it entirely. His reputation was ruined. He was publicly denounced in the press. Normally accompanied by pictures of the young happy married couple on their wedding day that he had torn apart. He didn't have much luck after that. He was fired by the estate agents for bringing them into disrepute. It turns out that not all publicity is good publicity.

Things got even worse for him when he was attacked again. This time by an unknown assailant. They never did find out who did it. Let's just say that that attack meant he would never be able to bed any woman again. We'll leave it there. That happened about a year after Julie's trial."

"I know it wasn't you Dad, but I think you know who it night have been."

"No, I don't know for sure, but I have a theory. I do know that Julie's Dad was devastated by what had occurred. Pam was never the same again. She had gone from this strong, fun loving lady to just a mere shadow of herself. He was bitter about that and the ruined life of his daughter. I also think that he had a lot of the tools in his garage could have done a lot of damage.

I'm happy if it was Dave. I'm even happier that whoever it was got away with it. They moved away as well eventually. We didn't keep in touch, what would be the point? I hope they found some peace."

A few days later, Julie approached Natalie as she was feeding the ducks with Noah.

"I don't know if you know who I am?"

"I do, my Dad told me all about it the other day after spotting you. It was all a bit of a shock, to be honest. He had never told me any of it before. He looked for you afterwards, you know. He wanted to say thank you."

"To thank me?" said Julie.

"Yes, thank you for setting him free to meet my Mum. He loved her so very much."

"Well then, she was the luckiest woman. To have both him and you."

She smiled down at Noah.

"I'm so sorry she never got to meet this little one. He's adorable."

"Thank you, it does make me sad, but I like to think she's still around."

"I'm sure she is. I really do."

She paused to break up the bread that Natalie had passed her.

"I was such a stupid fool back then. So very stupid. Please tell your Dad, I'm sorry if seeing me unsettled him. It wasn't intentional, I'm just visiting friends nearby. I think I was as shocked as he was when I saw him. He's still so handsome. Please tell him I still love him, always have, always will. Tell him to be happy, I think both his wives would want that for him."

We haven't seen Julie since. If you were thinking there would be some grand reconciliation in our 50's you were barking up the wrong tree. For now, I'm content to have the memories of my lovely Jane. Maybe in time, I can open my heart again. Right now, I'll love my daughter, my grandson and yes, even my son-in-law (but don't ever tell him).

No, getting back with Julie would never be on the cards for me. As my lovely old Nan would have said,

"I don't boil my cabbages twice."

12
Please rate this story
The author would appreciate your feedback.
  • COMMENTS
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
110 Comments
AA82ndAAAA82ndAA22 days ago

Well written story. Good theme and the character development was just good enough to "sell" the story line. No sense trying to decide what she did as her two headed green monster was a factor. Also a factor was her ego as the prick salved her for a long time. Well done and thanks for sharing...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

She was "seduced" she was "manipulated" 🙄 oh please... she put heralf in a situation to get seduced and manipulated... how can an outsider tell her about her own man?.. how would the predator know about their relationship?. It never dawned her he was full of shit?.. no, I think she was looking to cheat and used her husband's alleged affair to justify it. She certainly enjoyed it with the way she screamed out her orgasm🥴.. why didn't she bring these alleged proof to her husband and ask him to explain himself? A 5 minute conversation with her friend, husband, mom and dad is all it would've taken.. why wasnt her marriage worth 5 minutes?😏... she didn't confront him with this so call evidence because she really wanted to fuck what's his name. And probably knew deep down her husband wasn't cheating on her. She just really needed an excuse to delude herself into believing, what she was doing wasn't wrong.. before the sex there had to been talks with the predator. Inappropriate conversation about her marriage and husband. How else would the predator know about her fears, jealousy and insecurities?. She had to been spending time with him to tell him thing's she shouldn't of been.. I have never talked with my bosses about my relationship. I've had both female and male bosses.. never once did I feel the need to talk about my marriage.. I don't know them like that and they don't know my husband and I.. what could they possibly tell me?. .. I just don't understand allowing someone into your relationship and letting them brainwash you so easily.. that's why I think she's full of shit🤷🏾‍♀️.. If she truly had loved her husband, there's absolutely no way in hell the predator would've succeeded. She would've kicked his balls up his throat & out of his mouth and reported him to HR and her husband.. is there a reason why she didn't do that?😏.. I'm not going with the bullshit she was "seduced and manipulated".. is she a child? Is she stupid?.. if she was so easy to manipulate and seduce she should've never gotten married.. also how did sleeping with someone else made her better than her alleged cheating husband?.. what moral high horse did she have to sit on?. Even if he was cheating with her friend, he wasn't doing it at their house, in their bed.. he at least had the decency not to diarrhea in their marital home/ bed. What type of friend did she think her best friend was? How could she so easily believe her friend would bang her husband?. That tells me that is some shit she would do, fuck her friends man. Sluts are always projecting their sluttery onto other's.. they think because they're morally bankrupt everyone else is too. I wouldn't want to be her friend after that. I wouldn't want a friend that would think so little of me, she'd think I would betray her in such a disgusting way. I find it funny even when her dad was telling her he wasn't cheating, she still wouldn't believe it.. so the predator words held more weight & was more important than everyone else's?.. she trusted the predator more than her own family.. she absolutely wanted that dick😭😭😭... that's the only thing that makes any sense. No wife who love their husband is falling for that nonsense.. I had a friend told me my husband made a pass at her.. I've been with that man for over 20yrs, he doesn't know how to make passes😂😂😂🙄.. when she explained what he did I laughed so hard.. when my husband and I talk we touch people. Depending on how juicy what we're talking about is we get animated & might tap you on the arm, shoulder or knees if we're sitting down.. he tapped her on her knees when he was telling her a story.. she called that "making a pass at her"😂😂😂😂😂.. I had to explain to her. She realized I do the same shit.. that would mean I too was "making a pass" at her.. I don't lick pussy.. the only pussy taste I like is my own. I love dick.. I didn't lose my shit on my husband.. I know my damn husband.. nobody knows that man better than me, not even him. Plus I was THERE😂😂😂😂.. we were at a dance club smoking hookahs and drinking cocktails.. I will also add that this "friend" is a lesbian who dresses like a man.. she has no breast, ass or hips.. her body looked like a 10yro little boy. She actually believed my husband was making a pass at her😂😂😂.. I'm still laughing year's later. There's a reason I will be celebrating 24yrs with my hubby in july... I trust him until he gives me a reason not to. I don't just listen to what people tell me.. nobody can tell me shit about a man I've been with since I was 19. I truly love my husband and I trust him.. I'm not blinded by my love or trust for him though. I don't put anything pass anyone.. but you have to know your mate... my husband isn't a flirter or a cheater.. when I met him, he had just caught his girlfriend at the time sucking off some guy in a car. she was his first girlfriend, the girl that took his virginity. He was hurt. He and I trauma bonded over being cheated on. That's how we knew we were perfect for each other. We've been through it, so we know exactly how hurtful cheating on your partner can be. If someone can "brainwash" you into believing the worst in your partner its because you wanted to believe it🤷🏾‍♀️..

truthandjustice99truthandjustice994 months ago

Miss having Julie go nuclear on manipulator driving him to bankruptcy and suicide

inka2222inka22225 months ago

A very very well put together BTB. I'm so glad you didn't make them get back together, like some other authors on LW love to do. And at the risk of spoiling Part 2, I'm glad that Julia's parents are still around and OK.

Show More
Share this Story

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

If Only Series Info

Similar Stories

At the End of the Tour A good man is taken for granted and disrespected.in Loving Wives
An Unexpected Reaction To an unacceptable situation.in Loving Wives
Abandoned Rage Abandoned and humiliated in the worst way.in Loving Wives
The Worst Gift Wife and best friend destroy their marriages. For what?in Loving Wives
Let's Zoom And ambush her cheating ass.in Loving Wives
More Stories