Beneath the Ice Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Off." He lifted over her as he spoke, tugging at the strap of her bra and she twisted, snagging the catch with one hand and pulling it loose.

As she tossed it away from her, left completely naked under his heated gaze, Charlotte's breath caught. One of his hands skimmed up her hip, over the curve of her stomach, and up to cup the underside of one breast. His thumb stroked the taut nipple and she bit her lip to hold back a sound.

His eyes snagged on hers as he did it again, something in his gaze making her stomach flip.

"Can you be quiet, lyubov?"

She didn't know, not after being away from him for so long, and after the past twenty-four hours. But she nodded, afraid that if she said no, he'd stop.

"Take your shirt off."

His lips curved up at her soft demand and he tugged the shirt off, the bells giving little tinkles that made her giggle. She turned her face to the pillow as he tickled her sides in retaliation and squirmed as his hands moved to her thighs, and between them. Her breath left her in a whoosh when he bent down between her legs, closing his lips over the center of her, where she was so hot and all but melting for him.

Her hand came down on his head, the soft strands of his hair so achingly familiar. His tongue slicked over her, again and again, so light and teasing. No matter how much she wriggled under his mouth, or begged with desperate whispers, he didn't ease up or go deeper. And still, he brought her right up to the edge of reason, only to lift his head and meet her foggy gaze with a wicked grin.

"Alexei--"

"Yes?" As he spoke, he opened his mouth and flicked his tongue over that one spot. Her back arched off the bed and she clenched her hand in his hair.

"Oh, God."

"You like this?" He did it again, pressing a little more with the tip of his tongue.

"Yes. Holy-- yes, yes!"

He lapped at her as she gasped, undulating against his mouth. At last, he relented, pressing her down and devouring her until she was half-twisted, her cries muffled into her pillow. When she looked up again, he was shucking his pants and spreading her out on her back again.

"You want me now?"

"Always." And she drew him down to her, their chests rubbing together and her legs parting even wider to accommodate his big body.

He thrust into her once, claiming her in a single, bold move. She moaned against his lips and he kept their lips sealed as he moved in her. He pulled back, pushed deep again, then did it over and over until they were both mindless with pleasure and desire. She clung to him, desperate for more, even as she had him inside her. She'd never get tired of the way he owned her, body and soul.

At last, he lifted his head, his hips still moving between her thighs, jagged and uneven though his movements were. He kissed her, licking the corner of her mouth, and shoved his hand through her hair. He held her like that, their eyes locked, breath mingling, as he pounded into her, losing himself in her body.

"I love you."

Her whispered words were nearly drowned out by his roar of release. He continued to move in her as he buried his face in her neck, struggling to muffle the sound. She laughed, euphoric and so happy her heart was ready to burst out of her chest.

A little while later, Alexei cradled her to his chest and pressed a kiss to her lips, his expression worried.

"What's wrong?" She brushed a hand over his furrowed brow.

"We didn't use anything just now."

"Oh." She blinked as she realized he was right. She counted the days for a moment and shrugged. "I should be okay."

"I'm sorry, lyubov."

"It's not your fault. I wasn't exactly thinking straight either." She smiled and cupped his face before a yawn escaped her. "I'll go to the doctor next week and see about getting a prescription for the pill."

He blinked and settled down next to her, stifling a yawn of his own. "Are you sure? What if--" He didn't finish the thought but she smiled and snuggled into his chest.

"It would be a surprise, but not an unwelcome one." Another yawn. "That being said, we can be careful from now on. I'm not worried." And she meant it.

"Okay." He matched her yawn, and relaxed beside her.

"Good night, Alexei."

"Sweet dreams, lyubov moya."

Another kiss, light as a feather, then she slipped into dreams.

─────

"It's okay if you're nervous." Clyde leaned close to Alexei's side as they stood at the kitchen island in Clyde and Theresa's home.

Alexei faced the other man with raised eyebrows. "Nervous?"

"Yeah, about meeting the parents." Clyde leaned on his elbows, grinning up at Alexei. "I was, the first time."

Alexei huffed out a laugh and shook his head. "I'm not nervous about meeting them." He glanced over at Charlotte and Theresa, who were sitting on a couch, Zoe between them, reading from a children's book Theresa had given her. "I'm nervous for Charlotte to see them again."

"Ah." Clyde nodded. "I understand."

Charlotte had assured Alexei she wasn't worried, although he knew she was a little nervous about seeing her parents for the first time after so many years.

"After last night, I feel like I can face anything," she'd said to him that morning before hugging him tight. "With you, I'm already happy. Reconciling with my parents would be great, but I'm not scared to face life without them, not anymore."

He ached at her plainspoken words, knowing she meant them. He knew from experience that yes, one could live life without parents, but he didn't want that for her, not if it could be helped. On the other hand, after the way they'd cut her and Zoe out of their lives, he wasn't sure their presence now would be good in the end. Still, it wasn't his decision either way. He was there to support his girls.

"Can I get you another drink, man?" Clyde pointed at his nearly empty beer. "Or something else?"

"Maybe just water." Alexei lifted his bottle to his lips to finish it off. "I have practice in the morning. Don't want to overdo it."

Clyde nodded and moved off to pour him a glass of ice water. As he handed it to Alexei, the doorbell rang, announcing the arrival of Charlotte and Theresa's parents.

"Showtime." Clyde grinned and headed off to answer the door.

As expected, the arrival was awkward. Alexei moved to Charlotte's side as she stood to greet her parents. Zoe stood between them, one arm wrapped around Alexei's leg as she liked to do when struck with her occasional shyness.

Charlotte's parents, Debra and Tom, walked into the living room, Theresa and Clyde a step behind them, and for a moment, no one moved or spoke.

Debra looked from Charlotte to Zoe, and back again. She took another step forward and a smile spread across her face, though it was stilted, as if she was unsure of the reception she'd get.

"Merry Christmas, Charlotte."

Charlotte hesitated before stepping forward to hug her mother. It was brief and not even half as heartfelt as Charlotte and Theresa's greeting had been earlier in the day. "Merry Christmas, Mom." She turned and lifted a hand for Alexei, which he took. "This is Alexei, my boyfriend."

"Nice to meet you, Alexei." Debra shook his hand and Tom stepped forward to shake his hand as well. "Debra and Tom." Her gaze dropped to Zoe, still clinging to Alexei's leg. "And you must be Zoe."

Zoe nodded, her little fist going to her mouth.

"I'm your gr--" She stopped and lifted wide eyes to Charlotte. "Um. That is--"

Charlotte sighed and bent to lift Zoe into her arms. "Zoe, sweetie, this lady is your grandma."

Zoe's eyes grew wider and she looked at Charlotte. "Like Grandma Gladys?"

Alexei saw the way Debra's expression pinched and he kept his own neutral, continuing to let Charlotte take the lead.

"Yes, sweetie, except this is Grandma Deb. She's my mom, like Grandma Gladys is Auntie Sarah's mom."

Zoe frowned but nodded in understanding, her eyes flickering to Tom at Debra's elbow.

"And this is Grandpa Tom."

Zoe nodded again and stuck her hand out towards them. "I'm Zoe."

Tom shook her little hand first, his smile genuine. "Lovely to meet you, Zoe."

"Yes." Debra took her hand next for a firm, little shake. "Theresa has told us so much about you."

"Has she?" Charlotte lifted an eyebrow and set Zoe back on her feet.

"Yes, of course. Who else?"

Alexei sucked in a breath at Debra's tone.

Charlotte stiffened as well but turned to meet him with an even smile. "Alexei, would you take Zoe to the movie room? I'll come get you both for dinner when it's ready."

Clyde lifted a hand and followed. "I'll come with you. Make sure Zoe doesn't pick the wrong princess movie."

Zoe giggled and darted ahead of her Uncle Clyde and Alexei, who shot one more look at Charlotte before leaving the room.

She could handle the coming conversation with her parents, no matter which way it turned out. And he would be there to hug her or high-five her, whatever she needed.

─────

Charlotte waited until she was sure her daughter was out of earshot before she faced her mother again. She hadn't expected the first barb to come so soon, but here they were. Theresa had stayed beside her, and after their last talk, she knew her sister would have some thoughts to share as well.

So, Merry Christmas and families and all that.

"Was it really necessary to send her away?" Debra glanced in the direction Zoe and the men had gone. "We just met her."

"And who's fault is that, Mom?"

"You don't need to take that tone with me, young lady."

Charlotte let out a dry laugh. Here we go. "I'm not a young lady, not anymore. Not for about five years now. So, let's get it all out in the open, shall we? Then we can move on with tonight, or our lives, and that'll be that."

Tom frowned at her and she returned his look with a mild one of her own. After her night with Alexei, she did feel that she could face anything, including this long-overdue confrontation.

"Look, I'd love for you both to have a relationship with Zoe. With me." Charlotte pressed a palm to her chest, ignoring the rapid pace of her heart. "But I'm not going to allow you to belittle me or make snide comments, especially not with Zoe in the room."

Debra sniffed and moved around Charlotte to take a seat on one end of the couch. Tom followed, still frowning at Charlotte. "After all these years, we can't even have one nice night together?"

"Mom." Theresa rolled her eyes and walked over to sit in the couch across from her parents. "That's not what Charlotte is saying."

"And you're ganging up on us now?" Debra sniffed again.

Charlotte rubbed her forehead as she took a seat next to Theresa. "That is not what's happening. We need to talk, all of us, and you know it."

"Okay." Debra dabbed at the corner of her eye with a tissue. "Let's talk. Why have you kept our granddaughter from us all these years?"

Charlotte had to close her eyes and count to ten before she could respond with any semblance of calm. "I have done no such thing, Mom. I've called you every year since you kicked me out of your house to let you know where we are and how to reach us. You were the ones who never contacted me, never asked to visit, never invited us over."

"We're your parents. Did you need an invitation?"

"Are you serious?" Charlotte scowled and clenched her hands into fists on her lap. "You kicked me out of the house, Mom. Yeah, I figured I'd need an invitation after that."

"You're being dramatic, Charlotte." Her father shook his head, reclining back on the couch with a look of disapproval on his face. "We told you that you didn't have to leave."

"No, you said I could go and never come back as long as I intended to keep my baby." Charlotte lifted her eyebrows, the memory one she would be hard-pressed to forget. "Am I wrong?"

"Well, no." Debra lifted her chin. "But you made your choice."

"Yes, I did. I kept Zoe, and didn't come home. Just like you said, and now you're really going to sit there and claim I've kept her from you?" Charlotte scoffed and would have jumped up to start pacing, or to storm out, she wasn't sure which, but Theresa's hand came down on her knee. She glanced up at her sister and let out a breath. They'd only been reconnected for a few short weeks and she already knew her sister was an ally in this.

"Look, I meant it when I said I'd love for you to have a relationship with me and Zoe, but not if it's going to be like this." Charlotte sank back against the couch cushions. "I'm not going to continue to defend my decision, not when I have no reason to."

"You were nineteen, Charlotte." Her father's tone was sharp. "Did you expect us to throw you a party?"

"I expected to not be disowned by my family." Charlotte glanced at Theresa. "I expected you not to force Theresa to cut ties with me as well. I expected to not have to go through everything alone."

"You made that decision yourself," Debra said. "You know we would have supported you if--"

"Yes, I know, if I'd gotten rid of her or given her away." It made Charlotte sick to her stomach to even consider not having Zoe in her life. "That wasn't going to happen."

"Then here we are."

The four of them exchanged stubborn stares for a long moment before Theresa broke the silence.

"Mom. Dad. You were wrong."

"I beg your pardon?" Debra turned shocked eyes on her eldest daughter.

"When Charlotte told us she was pregnant, you were wrong to threaten her the way you did, to force her to choose between us and Zoe." Theresa reached over and clutched Charlotte's hand. "To force me to choose. We've lost years because of it. Years. Birthday parties, and first words, and sticky fingers, and all of it, because you were too proud to admit it."

For a moment, she seemed to have stunned their parents into silence.

Debra swallowed, looking down at the tissue in her hands. "We did what we thought was right."

"Well, you were wrong." Theresa shook her head. "And we can't change that, any of what happened. Charlotte and I are working on our relationship now, and I don't know if she forgives me completely, not yet, but I'm going to be a true sister from here on out." She glanced at Charlotte, her smile a little misty. "And I know she'll do the same."

Charlotte swallowed the sudden lump in her throat as she turned her hand in Theresa's and squeezed in return.

"So far, neither of you are asking for forgiveness, and maybe you never will, but Charlotte's right. If we, any of us, have any hope of moving forward and having any kind of relationship again, we need to let go of the anger and disappointment of the past." Theresa gestured with her free hand between them. "Can you do that? Or are you going to bring up the fact that Zoe exists every time we're all together?"

"Well, we can't pretend she doesn't exist." Debra sniffed.

"You know that's not what she meant." Charlotte gave in and rolled her eyes. "Are you going to make comments and look down your noses at me, at both of us, any time we see you?"

Debra looked for a moment like she might say yes, but she let out a breath and seemed to deflate right before their eyes. Their father put an arm around her shoulders and gave her a squeeze, the affection nothing new. Until that schism when Charlotte got pregnant, they'd been a close family. Or so she'd thought.

"I am sorry, Charlotte. I just wish you could understand how disappointed we were when you told us."

"I do." As a mother now, and far from having to face anything of the sort with her own daughter, Charlotte did understand differently than she did when she was pregnant and terrified. "But I would never do to Zoe what you did to me."

They both winced at her words, spoken more sharply than she'd intended.

"Look, it was an awful time for all of us, at least we can agree on that." Charlotte glanced at Theresa who nodded in agreement. "If you want to move past it, then I'm willing. But you will promise here and now, to never ever say anything to Zoe like what you've said to me. I won't allow you in her life, or mine, if you say one thing to her that I don't like."

Debra's eyes skimmed over Charlotte's face, a look that was at once foreign and familiar. "I understand." She exchanged a look with Tom and drew in a deep breath. "Of course we want to be a part of your lives."

"We can't get back the years we've lost," Tom said, squeezing his wife's shoulders. "But we can move forward, as you said."

Charlotte nodded and looked down, blinking back tears. Maybe it was wishful thinking to think that this was it, the only disagreement they'd ever have again, but she'd take it, for now.

"Okay." Theresa squeezed Charlotte's hand once more and stood up. "I'm going to check on dinner. Why don't you all go join Zoe and the guys for the movie?"

Debra and Tom stood and walked downstairs to join the others in the movie room, but Charlotte followed Theresa into the kitchen.

"Thank you, Theresa." She hugged her sister and held her shoulders as she released her. "I appreciate your support."

"You should have had it a long time ago." Theresa smiled and sighed. "I hope they meant what they said."

"Me too, but we'll face whatever comes."

"Yeah. Neither of us are alone anymore."

"No." No, Charlotte would never be alone again, and the euphoria she'd felt the night before came roaring back. She exhaled and hugged Theresa one more time. "Now, can I help with anything?"

"Sure."

They worked side-by-side for another fifteen minutes, until dinner was ready, and then called for the rest of the family to join them in the dining room. Dinner conversation was a little stilted and awkward at first, peppered with a lot of small talk about the weather. Then Tom started to grill Alexei about the team and the remainder of the season, and Zoe shared her thoughts as well, insisting Alexei would always be the greatest hockey player in Chicago there ever was or will be.

Later, at home in bed, with Alexei wrapped around her again, their bodies still hot and sweaty from what they'd done after putting Zoe to bed, Charlotte let herself be happy, truly happy. She snuggled into Alexei's chest, sighed when he kissed her forehead, and slept, safe in his arms.

─────

Two months later, Charlotte let herself into Alexei's apartment. She'd been running a little late after her meeting at the college and traffic had been a nightmare. Thank goodness Alexei didn't have a game or she'd have probably made him late, or miss it, not that he would have been angry.

She was about to open her mouth to call out to them, when she heard a giggle, followed by Alexei's deep voice. Toeing her shoes off, Charlotte slipped closer to his bedroom and tilted her head to eavesdrop, her heart melting at the sweet tone of their whispered exchange.

In the weeks since Christmas, Alexei and Zoe had become even closer. The little girl had dropped the 'Grumpy' nickname, and now called him Alexei, though she had asked Charlotte a week ago if she could call Alexei 'Dad'.

Now, Zoe was giggling at something Alexei said, making Charlotte smile. She never ceased to be amused by Zoe's infectious laughter.

"Now remember, it's a secret, right?" Alexei said, his tone low but Charlotte could still make out his words. "You can't tell Mommy."

"Okay. I won't. But when will you tell her?"

"Well, I won't tell her anything. I'll ask her."

"Fine. When will you ask her?"

Charlotte's heart tripped in her chest and she covered her mouth with one hand.

"Soon, zaya."

"And then I can call you Daddy?"

There was a pause and when Alexei's voice came again, it was rougher than before. "You would like to?"

"Yes." Always blunt. "You are, aren't you?"

Charlotte blinked, tears slipping over her cheeks.

"If you would like me as your Dad, then I am. Always."

"Okay." A rustling noise. "I love you, Daddy."

Charlotte choked back a sob.