Beneath the Ice Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

And he kissed her.

She gasped into his mouth and he licked his way into hers, tasting her and the slight flavor of the tea she'd had after dinner. Her hands tangled in his shirt and her body shuddered as he slicked his tongue against hers, teasing her, tasting her over and over. He dropped one hand to her hip, dragging her right onto his lap, her soft curves molding to him in an instant, as if they were made to fit together.

He clamped his hand on the back of her head, her soft hair all around his fingers. He tilted her head one way, angling his kiss deeper, wanting more of her. She shifted against him, restless, her body hot and pliant in his hold.

She broke the kiss a second later, her hands pressing on his shoulders. Her gaze was foggy as she tilted her chin down to look at him and he knew he was half-wild for her. She licked her lips and he let out a groan, chasing that pink tongue with his.

"Alexei--"

At her weak plea, he relented, stealing one more kiss before sliding his hands down her back to a slightly looser hold around her waist. Even as she moved back to better see his face, she swayed towards him. He grinned, letting her, content to let her kiss his lips, his cheek, his chin. She rubbed her cheek against his, making some little purring noise when his whiskers scratched her.

Jesus, if she liked it that much, he'd never shave again.

"Krasotka." He squeezed her waist, swallowing hard when she shivered in his arms. "You don't want to get carried away?" Really, he couldn't blame her. But, as much as he wanted to explore the whole licking every inch of her skin thing, Zoe was asleep thirty feet away.

"No, I suppose not." She pressed her forehead to his neck, right where Zoe usually set up camp as well.

He held her as he turned, reclining on the couch until she was sprawled out over his body. She let out a deep breath and relaxed on him. He kept his grasp firm around her with one arm holding her in place, and the other hand rubbing in long, slow strokes from her neck to her backside. Her perfect backside, to go with the perfect freckles and those perfect eyes. All of her was perfect, he was rapidly discovering, from her perfect smile to the perfect heart inside her.

He let out a breath and brushed a kiss over her head. "We talked, krasotka."

She nuzzled his neck, a light laugh huffing over his skin. "We did?"

"Yes. You're mine now."

Another shiver, another squirm, before she let out a breath. She didn't respond but that was okay. He didn't need her to.

─────

"Nothing happened?"

Charlotte's cheeks burned. "Well, not nothing." There had been a whole lot of something.

Sarah arched her eyebrows at her and they both started giggling like schoolgirls at the same time.

"Okay, so some things happened, but not all the things." Sarah looked around even though they were alone in the store before opening on Saturday morning. The Saturday morning after Alexei had kissed her. Had claimed her. "Did you want things to happen?"

Charlotte bit her lip but nodded. God, yes, she had wanted all the things to happen between her and Alexei. She'd been dying for it. On the other hand, she'd remained aware of their surroundings and the fact that Zoe was only separated from them by a door. She wouldn't have been able to fully let go. He had to have known that, or shared her thoughts on the matter, and had left her apartment after a half hour of snuggling on the couch.

"I see." Sarah drew herself up straight and gave Charlotte a mock-stern look. "Do I need to have a birds and the bees talk with you?"

Charlotte burst out laughing. "I think that ship has sailed, don't you?"

Sarah snickered and nodded. "Just checking. But buy condoms on your way home tonight, just in case."

"Sarah!" Charlotte gasped and swatted her friend.

"What? I know you love Zoe, and I do too, but do you want your next kid to be an oopsie?"

"No." Charlotte could admit that much. "I don't know how we'll even find some time alone together. It's not like I can hang a sock on the doorknob so Zoe doesn't come out of her room."

Sarah laughed at that and Charlotte joined her, the levity good after the revelations of the night before. The fact remained, she had zero privacy as a single mom. She had no idea how to date as one either.

"Look, my offer to take Zoe for a sleepover stands. Just let me know when." Sarah winked and walked off to head to the storeroom.

Charlotte watched her go, her mind spinning. Could she do that? Ask Sarah to take Zoe for a Sunday night sleepover just so she could have some alone-time with Alexei? Her entire body burned at the possibilities, even as she yo-yoed between desire for that intimacy and guilt that she'd shuffle her daughter aside to get it.

The rest of their workday passed by and Charlotte collected Zoe from the babysitter, Mabel, before they headed home. Zoe was full of conversation about everything she and the older lady had done over the day, including painting with watercolors.

"You liked that?" Charlotte was amazed that Zoe sat still long enough to even try.

"Oh, yeah, it was so cool. The colors mushed together but it was pretty at the end."

Smiling, Charlotte asked about what else they did. Zoe chattered on the rest of the way home and up to their apartment. Once inside, she tried to keep Zoe quiet, since she wasn't certain of Alexei's schedule. They hadn't worked their way around to discussing that. She knew he had a game tonight but not what he'd be doing right now.

"What should we bake today, sweetie?" Charlotte hung her jacket up with Zoe's and walked to the kitchen sink to wash her hands.

"I want to make chocolate chip cookies."

"A classic. Good call. Go grab everything. I'm going to change."

"Okay." Zoe was already digging through the pantry.

Charlotte smiled as she walked into her bedroom. Thank God the little girl loved baking with her. It was one of the few things she could get Zoe to focus on. She knew Alexei had a point about getting her into some sort of group activity or sport, and she wished with all her heart that she could afford it. Maybe she could look into charities or support programs for underprivileged kids. She hated to think she'd have to rely on that, but she'd do anything for Zoe, if it made her happy.

She changed into some cropped cotton pants and a long-sleeved shirt. It was getting cooler faster than ever now, and she hated the thought of having to drag out all her winter clothing. The previous year hadn't been kind to her and she only had a few nice heavier shirts and pants left in good condition. Another expense to add to the list.

She was just scooping her hair up to a pile on her head -- Sheesh, do I ever need a haircut. Another expense she couldn't afford right now-- when she heard Zoe let out an excited squeal followed by a familiar deep voice.

Charlotte's heart stuttered in her chest and she stared at her reflection in the mirror, watching her own cheeks turn pink. Drawing in a deep breath, she walked out to join her daughter and Alexei in the kitchen.

"Mommy!" Zoe was clutching Alexei's neck, secure in his big arms, and faced her mother with a grin. "Can I show Grumpy how to make the cookies?"

"Of course, sweetie. If he's got time and wants to learn." Charlotte managed to lift her eyes to Alexei's, her heart skipping around again, making her breathless. Well, that and the look in his eyes. Would she ever get used to it? "Hi."

His lips quirked on one side and her insides went molten in a rush. She had to turn away from him, pressing one palm to her cheek, as Alexei set Zoe down, leaving the little girl to finish gathering the ingredients.

Get a grip, girl!

He joined her at the counter where she was pulling out the stand mixer, and bent close. His fingers slid down her neck and around to cup the back of her head, forcing her to look up at him.

"Hi." The word was barely spoken before he brushed his lips over hers.

She sucked in a surprised breath and her hands came up to rest on his chest. Her eyes darted to the side where Zoe had her head buried behind the pantry door.

"Alexei--" She didn't know what else to say but at the sound of his name, his lips came down on hers again, firmer this time. Her palms stopped pressing on his chest and lifted, curling over his shoulders, tugging him closer.

He turned his head his lips brushing over her cheek to her ear. "We will talk later, after my game. Will you be up?"

He wanted to 'talk' again? Or actually talk? As Charlotte pulled back to look into his face, she couldn't tell but she didn't care. She'd quickly come to love spending time with him. Had it really been only a week since he'd saved her bacon while she'd been ill?

"Even if I'm not, I'll wake up for you."

Something she couldn't identify glittered in his eyes and she shivered. He pressed a kiss to her forehead and stood back as Zoe arrived, shoving between them with a kitchen chair.

"No kissing while we make cookies."

A strangled laugh escaped Charlotte and she nodded before bending to plant a loud kiss on Zoe's head. "You got it, sweetie. Why don't you two do the work and I'll get some laundry started?"

Alexei's eyes widened when he glanced at her. She grinned and reached up to tap the little rack hanging from the cupboards above. "Here's the recipe, but we've done these so many times, I think Zoe almost has it memorized."

Zoe nodded with enthusiasm, drawing Alexei's attention back to her.

So the afternoon passed in an unfamiliar cloud of domestic ease. Alexei made the cookies with Zoe, asking serious questions that Zoe answered with equal solemnity. Charlotte gathered up the laundry and stopped by to see how the cookies were progressing once or twice, but otherwise, Alexei and Zoe got on like gangbusters. Not that she should be surprised anymore.

Zoe had taken to Alexei from the first moment, and now that he was over his noise-aversion, he seemed happy to spend time with the energetic child.

At last, the final tray of cookies came out of the oven and Alexei reached over to shut the heat off.

"Mommy, we're finished!" Zoe's voice reached Charlotte in Zoe's closet, where she was hanging some clean clothes. "Come see!"

Charlotte walked out to see Zoe waving a flourishing hand over the racks of cooling cookies. "Ta-da!"

"Excellent work, you two." Charlotte grinned at her daughter and lifted her eyes to see Alexei smiling back. Good heavens, he was so handsome when he smiled.

"I don't mean to rush out, but I have to get going." Alexei jerked his thumb over his shoulder. "Game night."

Zoe pouted as she turned and lifted her arms at him. He bent to pick her up, drawing her close for a tight hug. "Thanks for helping."

"Thanks for teaching me, zaya." He pressed a kiss to her messy hair and set her back on her feet.

Charlotte clutched her hands together in front of her, desperate to reach for him, to hold her arms out as easily as Zoe had done. A part of her wanted to hold back anyway, torn between nerves and concern over being too demonstrative and affectionate in front of Zoe. Alexei's lips twitched as he met her gaze, as if reading her mind. He gave her a nod and turned for the door.

"I'll see you later, krasotka."

"Have a good game." She walked to the door and held it open as he walked out to the hall. "We'll watch and cheer for you, right, Zoe?"

Zoe nodded, one arm wrapping around her mother's leg. "You'll win for sure."

Alexei's eyes softened as he looked down at Zoe. "Of course."

With that, he turned and walked away. Charlotte let out a breath and backed into her apartment.

"Well, now. What should we do for dinner, sweetie?"

"Pancakes!"

Charlotte laughed and shrugged. "Why not."

Later, they watched the game, sharing a small bowl of chocolate ice cream. Zoe was generous, holding up every other spoonful for Charlotte to taste. On screen, the Chicago Blackhawks were struggling against the Dallas Stars. The first period had already been slowed down by two penalties taken by Chicago players, and the score reflected the poor action, with Dallas leading 2-0.

"Where's Grumpy?"

Charlotte smiled. "He's there, sweetie. They were showing him a second ago."

As she spoke, the camera panned the players milling around on the ice as a play was being reviewed. There he was, stoic Alexei Novikov, number 18 in big black digits on his back. She wondered if Zoe would like a jersey for her birthday or Christmas, not that Charlotte could afford one outright. Perhaps Alexei could get her a discount?

"There he is." Zoe sat up with a grin and pointed, spoon in hand. "He looks mad."

To be fair, he usually looked mad. His default expression wasn't what one would call joyful. Charlotte nodded though. "It's been a tough game. He might be mad."

Zoe nodded and finished the ice cream, forgetting to share any more with her mom. For another half hour, Zoe snuggled against Charlotte as the game resumed. At the intermission, Charlotte managed to get her up and get her teeth brushed. They both changed into their pajamas and resumed their positions on the couch for the second period. A few minutes later, Zoe was yawning and her eyes were blinking long and slow.

"All right, sweetie, time for bed." It was already a little later than Charlotte normally allowed Zoe to stay up.

"No! I want to keep watching!"

She whined a bit longer and Charlotte relented. Five minutes later, Zoe was out cold against her side.

Smiling, Charlotte stroked a gentle hand over her daughter's head as she continued to watch the game. At the next break in action, she carried Zoe to bed and tucked her in, the little girl not stirring a bit.

Back on the couch, alone, Charlotte picked up her phone and checked the sound and vibration before getting comfortable under a blanket. She knew she wasn't likely to stay awake for long. On most nights, she was awake for maybe an hour after Zoe. The child wore her out most days, and Charlotte didn't want to miss Alexei if he called or texted. She wanted to talk to him. Or 'talk', whichever it was.

Smiling, she reclined and rested the phone on her chest, where she was sure to hear and feel it when he called.

─────

Alexei didn't call Charlotte after the game ended. They'd gone all the way to a shoot out in the end, so it was beyond late when he got home to their building. He did walk up to her apartment though and tapped lightly on the door before unlocking and slipping inside. He saw Charlotte across the room immediately, asleep on the couch.

He approached on silent feet and crouched down beside her head, studying her face as she slept. Those perfect freckles. He wanted to kiss every one and he wanted to cuddle her close while she slept. He wanted everything with a suddenness that should shock him.

Growing up on his own, he'd never given much thought to having a family. He'd tried dating back when he'd first hit the big league, but nothing seemed right. He'd stuck with shallow hook-ups for a while then, and even that hadn't satisfied. It had been almost a year since he'd last gone home with someone for a one-night stand.

Now he knew it was because of Charlotte and Zoe. He hadn't known them then, hadn't even lived in this building until this season, but his heart told him he'd been waiting for them all the same.

With one hand, he rubbed the medallion on his chest. It was Saint Christopher, a common enough religious medal that many wore. He'd been given it as a gift from the priest at the church he'd attended while living with his host family in Quebec as a teenager in the major junior hockey league. He wasn't Catholic, wasn't even Russian Orthodox, but he'd enjoyed his time going to church with his host family and had become friends, of a sort, with Father Francis. When he'd told the priest he'd been drafted into the league, the old man had given him the medal and wished him well, and told him not to stay alone forever.

Over the years, he'd never taken it off. Not because he believed so strongly in anything, but because it had been the first gift someone had given him outside of the well-meaning host family, and the first as an adult. The only, really. He touched it to center himself at times when he was angry or frustrated, or confused. Now, he rubbed it because it seemed to him that Father Francis' wishes for him might have come true. At long last.

As he crouched there, rubbing the medal through his shirt, Charlotte stirred, rolling to one side, the phone on her chest slipping. It would have fallen to the floor, but Alexei caught it, his movement and light touch startling her awake.

"Alexei!" She gasped and sat up halfway. "When did you get here?"

"A little while ago." Now that she was awake, his heart hammered hard against his ribs and the urge to hold her gripped him anew. He rose from his crouch and pulled her upright with him. "Come, you need to sleep."

Her cheeks turned rosy but she nodded and followed as he led her into her bedroom. There, he tucked her in and crouched down again to look her in the eye. She stared at him, her expression unreadable in the dim room and reached out one hand to touch his cheek. Without taking his eyes from hers, he turned his head to press a kiss to her palm, making her suck in a breath.

"I thought you wanted to talk."

He nodded and held her hand to his face, rubbing his coarse cheek back and forth over her soft skin. She shivered once, then again, so he kept it up. "I do, but the game went so much later than usual."

She nodded, her eyes dark and focused on the point of contact between her palm and his face. "Would you like to sleep here?"

They hadn't done that since that one night when she hadn't been feeling well. In truth, he couldn't bring himself to sleep next to her without wanting to taste every inch of her skin and make her scream his name. Which they couldn't do. Not yet.

"I would." He leaned up and pressed his lips to hers in a light kiss. "But I won't."

She let out a breath, her fingers curling around his chin. "I understand."

"I will come tomorrow morning. Breakfast?"

She nodded then stopped. "Oh, well, I work tomorrow like usual, and have to leave by nine to get Zoe to the baby-sitter's before my shift."

"I can watch Zoe."

She smiled and shifted, touching their lips together again. He sucked in a breath at the sweet contact and held himself still, all but vibrating with the need to cover her body with his. "I know you could, but don't you have practice or something?"

He shrugged. "There's an optional skate in the morning but I can stay here."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. Why pay a babysitter when I'm here?"

Her eyes flickered back and forth between his and he sensed she was about to say something more about it, but she nodded once. "All right. I'll call her in the morning."

He nodded and stole another kiss before standing up. "Text me when you're both awake tomorrow morning."

At that, Charlotte grinned. "I'm sure you'll know without me telling you."

He chuckled. "Yes, you're probably right. Sweet dreams, krasotka."

"Good night, Alexei."

He backed out of the room, every inch of him demanding he climb into bed beside her, hold her to his chest, touch her all over and kiss her until she sighed his name. Groaning softly, he closed her bedroom door and crossed to Zoe's room before leaving. The little girl was sprawled diagonally across her bed, her hair a dark red halo around her head in the glow from her unicorn nightlight.

Alexei smiled and closed her door as well. Then he left their apartment, locking up behind him, and hurried downstairs where he had to take another shower. A cold one.

─────

The next week passed by in a blissful blur for Charlotte. She woke each morning to find Zoe and Alexei in her kitchen or living room together. Often, they were getting breakfast ready, or eating it together, or watching a cartoon while they waited for her to rise. How Alexei knew when Zoe was awake, Charlotte wasn't sure, but she loved waking to find them happily spending time together, even on mornings following games.