A Storied Romance

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Peter," Fiona began when the conversation began to drag. "Do you mind if I ask what you didn't like about the first three flats? It might me to choose some that would be more to your tastes."

"I liked all three, Fiona. I especially liked the last one. It's just that...well, frankly I'm afraid of the cost."

"You have talked with Ewan about wages?"

"Of course."

"Then you must know that you will have no trouble affording any of these flats." When I hesitated in making a response, Fiona continued, "My flat is quite comparable to ones we have seen and I am only an accounting clerk. As Deputy Director, you should have no trouble affording something much more elegant than these."

"I have simple tastes, Fiona, and simple needs. 'Elegant' has never something I strive toward." As I finished the last of my coffee, I took in the simple, unadorned beauty of the woman across from me. "Why don't I let you tell me which one you think fits me best?"

A smile lit Fiona's face. "Good! Then let's go back and sign a lease on choice number three."

Fiona turned out to be a harsh negotiator. The final cost on the lease was well within my comfort level. Still, not everything that was going on in the conversation between Fiona and my new landlord was obvious to me. All I cared about was the outcome.

When we were finished, we returned to the pub for a quick pint. When they arrived, Fiona said, "Well, welcome to the neighborhood, Peter!"

"You live near here?"

Fiona nodded. "I've lived near here for several years."

"So why did you choose this one for me?"

"Oh, I knew the instant you walked through the door that this was the one for you. You need something cozy, not glamorous."

"And that made you decide that this one was right."

A coy smile crept across Fiona's face. "That--and the fact that I live in a flat just across the street."

I couldn't help laughing. "Good. Maybe we can ride to the office together."

"Are you certain that a Deputy Director should walk in to the office with a lowly accounting clerk? Consider the scandal!"

"I don't know how things are in London, but where I come from its always fine for a Deputy Director to be seen with a friend."

* * *

I confess that I was strongly attracted to Fiona. She quickly became a best friend--but that was all I was comfortable allowing her to become. Once burned, twice cautious. Besides, I was technically still a married man. I had not heard from my lawyer since arriving in London and I had no idea how things stood.

When I didn't hear from my lawyer by the end of the second week, I gave him a call. "She was served papers the very day you left for London," he informed me. "I can tell you that she was caught off guard. It's been a while since I've seen anyone so broken up about it."

"Is she going to fight the terms? I thought I was being rather generous--considering."

"I don't know yet. So far, her lawyer is giving me the run around. We have a court date next week. We'll know more then."

Somehow, that didn't surprise me. With a boyfriend already picked out, Sara had no reason to rush. My guess was that she was again trying to stick it to me. Well, I wasn't going to take the bait. If she wanted to drag it out, she was welcome to do it. She would run out of money long before I did. I could focus my attention on my job, and with Fiona around, life looked pretty good.

Fiona was invaluable over the first few months as I settled into life and work in a new office, new city, and new country. She never ceased to tease me about my American way of speaking and doing things. Of course, I teased her right back.

At first, Fiona met only for the occasional lunch at a pub near the office. It wasn't too long before the two of us expanded our horizons to dinner and theatre or a concert. We discovered that we both had a deep love for the same kinds of music. We became a regular feature at the Royal Festival Hall. Still, our dates were merely platonic--though it was clear to both of us that there was a growing attraction.

"Where are we heading, Peter? Do we have a chance at a real relationship?" Fiona asked as we stopped for a nightcap after a particularly moving performance of the Fauré Requiem.

"I'm still married, Fin. I know I've been in London three months, now, but the pain of what Sara did to me is still rather fresh. You're sure making it go away, though. If you are still interested, ask me again when Sara set's me free."

She smiled warmly and laid her head on my shoulder. "Count on it," she whispered. After a long silence, she added, "Fin. I like the sound of that, by the way. No one has ever called me that."

I gave her what was undoubtedly the most intimate kiss that we had shared to date. Still, in the total scope of things, it was very tame. "Actually," I admitted when the embrace ended, "It was an accident."

"That makes it even more special--coming from you."

I wrapped my arm around her and we snuggled through another glass of wine. Then, Fiona gently pulled back, turned, and kissed me gently. "I think I love you, Peter. I'm willing to wait, but I want you to know that I really think we can have something really special."

We quickly returned to my flat. We had barely closed the door when we repeated the embrace we had shared earlier. In fact, we quickly turned up the heat, devouring each other with our kisses. For months we had maintained a chaste friendship. We had danced around something a great deal more intimate, but either of us had been willing to make the first move. Now we raced forward with no intention of turning back. On this special evening, the feelings we both shared burst forth.

***

Fiona took me by the hand, began leading me through my apartment, and didn't stop until she arrived at my bedroom. We stood facing each other for a moment, drinking in the magical sight of love at its purest moment.

"Fin, I need you to know that I am still married. My lawyer is supposed to be pushing Sara to sign the papers, but for some reason, she is still delaying things."

Fiona tried to quiet me with a kiss, but after enjoying her lips, I continued to speak. "Sara can delay all she wants to, Fin, but it won't change anything between us. I stopped loving her when she admitted to cheating on me."

I slid my fingers into her silky red hair and cupped the back of her head. Tenderly I touched my lips to hers. "Fiona, I've been falling head-over-heals in love you from the first day we spent together. I hope you never doubt that."

Instantly, all rational thought was lost. Following a frantic pulling of clothes, we entwined ourselves on the bed. Our first time was a frenetic mating of two souls in perfect bliss. Following that was the long, slow dance of love that lasted well into the early hours of the morning. Fiona fell asleep nestled in the hollow of my arm and though I tried to stay awake so I could enjoy the pleasure of watching her, I slipped into a quiet and contented slumber.

The following morning, we continued to explore our newfound interest in lovemaking. By Sunday evening, the reality of our situation began to hit me.

"Fin, I'm not sure a romance within the office is a good idea. I'm not sure if ITI has any legal objections, but it might be uncomfortable for both of us."

"I was thinking the same thing, Peter. I'll have a nice chat with my uncle tomorrow and see what he can do for me. I'm ready for a new challenge anyway."

"Your uncle?"

"Uncle Ewan." When my face evidently betrayed no understanding, she clarified. "Ewan MacAdams--he's my mother's brother."

I gave her a frustrated look. "And just when were you going to tell me this little tidbit of news, young lady?"

Fiona shrugged impishly. "Oh, sometime before the wedding?"

"Wedding, huh?" I gave her a hug. "I like the sound of that. Unfortunately, Sara might have an objection."

Fiona gave me a gentle kiss. "I can wait."

* * *

Over the next few weeks, I kept a constant phone vigil with my lawyer. "She just won't sign, Peter," Sandra Howe, my lawyer, said one Friday afternoon when I gave her a call. "Hell--between you and me--she won't even negotiate in good faith." The frustration we both felt dripped from her voice. "I think she's determined to drive you both into the poorhouse. Just when I think we've hit the bottom of the legal maneuvering, her lawyer comes up with a new petition and things slip to a new low."

"What is she holding out for? Tell her I'll pay it."

"I know that she wants to meet with you face-to-face."

"Not going to happen, counselor! I'm not going to listen to the lies that she and her lover concocted. Tell her it's over!"

"I'll try again, but I'm afraid it won't do any good. Can't you just talk to her on the phone? Maybe that will satisfy her. After all, there is quiet a distance between the two of you."

"After she signs," I replied, trying desperately to control my frustration. "Look Sandra, if she wants to play games, I can play games. Match her delay for delay, legal run around for legal run around. She'll run out of money long before I do."

"Peter, are you sure you want to do this? It's only a phone call..."

"...to the woman who broke my heart!"

I cursed Sara as I hung up the phone. Now I needed to find a way to break the news to Fiona. That turned out to be easier than I thought. About an hour after I got home that night, I was in the kitchen rustling up some dinner. Abruptly, there was a ghastly noise in the entryway. When I went to check it out, Fiona was directing traffic as a caravan of volunteers moved her things into my flat.

"My! Aren't we presumptuous?" I teased as I wrapped Fiona in my arms. "Shouldn't I have asked you first--before you moved in?"

Fiona tried to pull free, but I pulled her even tighter. "Wait, guys...."

Fiona got no further with her order when I planted a long, warm, and very enjoyable kiss on her mouth. She virtually melted into my arms. When she was fully relaxed, I broke the embrace just long enough to whisper, "Fin, why don't you move in with me? It would save a lot of running back and forth between flats." Before she could answer, I touched my lips to hers.

"Why, Peter! What a brilliant idea! What made you think of it?"

About that time, I smelled something burning in the kitchen. "Oh, shit!" I gasped as I rushed off in a vain effort to mitigate the damage to my dinner.

When the noise in the other room quieted, Fiona crept into the kitchen, came up behind me, and wrapped her arm around my waist as she surveyed the blackened mess in the skillet. "Did I do that?"

"Have no fear, sweet Fin! The meat is fine. That was merely a ginger glaze. I'll have a replacement finished before you're ready for dinner."

I wrapped Fiona in my arms. "I'm going to love this new arrangement," I said before resuming the embrace that had been interrupted my culinary mishap.

"Did you talk with your lawyer?"

I winced at the question. I'd been hoping that it could wait until after dinner. "Yes."

"I'm not going to like this conversation, am I?"

"Sara is being a pain. It looks like this may take longer than I want."

Fiona looked disappointed.

I wrapped her in my arms and kissed her gently. "This changes nothing, Fin. I am going to marry you. You and I are going to live happily ever after. We just have to wait Sara out. She can't hold out forever."

"In fact..." I took her by the hand and led her to the bedroom.

"Peter, I can wait until after dinner," she responded, chuckling.

"I can't!" I retorted.

I led her to my dresser, dug into the back of my underwear drawer, and retrieved the small box I had hidden there only a week ago. Opening the box, I said, "Fiona Kelly, will you marry me?"

Fiona gazed in shock at the diamond ring staring back at her. It was the largest one that I could afford and--at least to me--looked rather impressive. It was definitely larger than the one I had purchased for Sara.

Fiona stared in disbelief for a moment. When she reached for the ring, her touch was tentative. She looked as though she believed the ring would disappear. I began to worry as she silently ran her finger across the stone.

"Oh, Peter," she whispered. "I--I didn't expect we'd get to this point until after your divorce came through." She threw her arms around me and smothered me with kissed. Her joyous tears wet my face as well as hers. "Of course I'll marry you."

Needless to say we rushed through dinner and spent the rest of the night in bed, celebrating our new beginning. Our coupling was frenetic, with a passionate effervescence I hoped we would never loose. Long before either of us were ready to go to sleep, we were both well sated. Neither of us, however, was interested in leaving bed. We lay together well into the night, whispering our love to each other. I was on my back; Fin lay with her leg draped between mine and her head nestled on my shoulder.

Eventually we did manage to fall asleep, though how we slept is anyone's guess. We awoke in the very same position the following morning. I awoke first; Fin's red hair tickling my cheek. Her scent was hypnotic. Slowly, I slid my hand down until I cupped her butt. Then I lightly massaged her bottom, hoping to sooth her awake. I discovered that I had achieved success only when Fin responded by slowly wrapping her hand around my already hard cock.

Her giggle further betrayed her. Without a word, I pulled Fin on top of me, lifting her enough to enable me to slid into her warm, moist center.

"Mmmm!" she purred. "And to think, I'm going to be able to wake up like this every morning. I really am going to like that."

"I know what you mean. I've never been so happy to see daybreak! What say we stay here all day?"

"We've got to get out and eat," Fin teased.

"Oh, I don't know," I retorted, taking up the challenge. "I think I can survive." Then I nuzzled under Fin's hair and playfully nipped at her neck.

Fin squealed in delight and started wiggling, as though she were trying to get away. That only served to awaken our lower quarters. An instant later, joking was set aside and lovemaking resumed in earnest.

We didn't spend the whole day in bed, but we did spend it in very close proximity. Between our lovemaking interludes, we sat snuggled together on the couch. I'm not certain whether we were making out or snogging, as Fin called it. I suspect it depended on which of us you asked. Either way, we were thrilled to do it and enjoyed it with phenomenal enthusiasm.

***

That was the beginning of the most blissful period of time in my entire life. Both Fin and I were as close to nirvana as mortals can reach. Even the news Fiona gave me a month later didn't phase me. Instead of fear and panic it only resulted in a greater euphoria.

"Peter," Fin began, a nervous flutter in her voice. "I--I have some news, and I'm afraid it might be unpleasant."

I folded her in my arms and gently reassured her. "It can't be bad as long as you're here with me."

Fin grimaced. Then, taking a deep breath, she said, "Peter, I'm pregnant."

"I pushed her back so that I could look into her eyes."You're serious?"

"I'm sorry," she whispered. "I don't know..."

I didn't let her finish. I scooped her off her feet and gave her a long, passionate kiss. "Oh, god, Fin! That's wonderful! I love you so much!"

When she realized that I was neither mad nor anxious to leave her, she wrapped herself around me--arms and legs. When we came up for air, I took Fin out to celebrate. The festivities ended, of course, with a long night of love gymnastics.

I doted on Fin now more than ever. If Fiona ever doubted that I love for her, I gave her every reason to abandon that notion. The accidental pregnancy seemed like a gift from God. It had definitely not been in our plan, but I welcomed the growing bump in Fiona's tummy with open arms. I became very vocal about looking forward to late fall when the baby was due to arrive.

At work, I thrived like I had never done before. Ewan noticed the difference immediately. Maybe it was the added responsibility of providing for an extra human being--but whatever it was, Ewan MacAdams was thrilled with the work he was producing.

The only thing that dampened my enthusiasm was the delay in finalizing the divorce. I so badly wanted to marry Fin before the baby was born, but Sara appeared to be just as stubborn and intransigent as before.

Things changed suddenly one day in early September. It began with the unexpected arrival of Todd Brooks. The stated reason for his visit was for consultation on the status of the joint effort between Parker Price International and ITI, but it quickly became apparent that Todd and an ulterior objective.

"Talk with her, Peter. It's all a lot more complex that it seems," Todd begged almost as soon as I dropped him off at the hotel.

I agreed to talk more about it later and Todd acquiesced only when I gave a solemn promise to sit down and talk about Sara.

"Look, Todd, you relax now, but I'll pick you up at 6:30 for dinner. I want to treat you to the best meal you will ever have in London."

"And were might that be?"

"You'll see. Just rest, dress comfortably, and I'll pick you up later."

I picked Todd up precisely at the agreed upon time. I felt like a like a kid with a new toy as I directed the cabbie to our flat. I was so excited to have someone from home to introduce to Fiona.

"So, if I'd known you were cooking dinner, I'd have insisted that I pay. I can only imagine what kind of cook you are."

"Oh ye of little faith!" I retorted. "Fiona is an excellent cook and she has fussed about dinner all day! You won't be disappointed--trust me!"

As soon as I ushered Todd into the flat, Fiona joined them, her apron barely covering her obvious baby bulge. "Todd Brooks, I want you to meet the most beautiful cook in the world--and soon to be the mother of my child--Fiona Kelly."

Todd stared at Fiona for a moment in obvious surprise before giving her a warm hug. "Since you haven't yet gotten hitched to this mug, I demand the chance to privately share with you a few stories. There is still time to talk some sense into you!"

"Oh, I think I can match you story-for-story. Truth is, I rather fancy this roguish sod. In spite of what you may want to tell me, I think I'm going to keep him anyway." She rubbed her pregnant tummy. "Or should I say, we are going to keep him. Little Iain is going to need his father."

"You still think it's not going to be Brianna?" I teased.

"Not a chance! If you had to carry him around inside you, you'd know the truth of it, too! This wee thing is definitely going to be Iain Peter Miller."

Changing the subject, I told Fiona wife, "Todd is here to talk about the joint effort, but since he is a long-time friend, he wants to update me on the state of my divorce."

"Not until after dinner!" Fin ordered. "It's ready to be put on the table."

Todd admitted that I had indeed told the truth about Fiona's culinary skills.

After a wonderful scotch broth and mixed green salad, Fin served a rack of lamb with roasted baby potatoes and green beans. When she asked whether we wanted desert, both Todd and I groaned--but gratefully accepted a slice of a wonderful frozen tort.

"Peter, my friend," Todd began as he pushed his chair back from the table, "if you eat like that, I wonder why the two of you aren't as big as a house!"

"Well...," I began, giving Fin an impish smile as she started clearing the table.

"Hey, buddy! I know how Fiona got to look that way, and it had nothing to do with what she ate!"

When Fin came back for more dished, I pulled her into my lap. She gave me a tender kiss on the cheek and tried to get up. I held her back. "I'll get that later, love. You just rest."

"See what I have to put up with?" she teased, giving Todd a shrug.